Decent speakers for Electronic drums?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SPL (sound pressure level) is not the same thing as “volume” level

Assuming the same speaker, i didn’t say it won’t be louder. I said it will only be a tiny bit louder. When you double power, you get an additional 3dB of power. A 3dB increase is considered the point where humans can first notice change. 10dB additional power is generally the point where humans hear a doubling of loudness.

It is not just power that drives loudness. The efficiency of a speaker is a big factor. Looking at the efficiency spec of a speaker will tell you a great deal. Typical 15” speakers can vary by 6dB.

Peartfect

Reaction score
If you want to play drums, please use the version designed for them: Alesis Strike Amp 12 Drum Amplifier

I can't comment on the practical advice about buying used other than to say it makes sense unless you buy the best to begin with and don't have to keep spending to "upgrade".
Thanks Jay and @dboomer
The Alesis Amp 12 looks awesome, but it's a bit pricey for me at the moment.
Reading further into the posts, I found the Kustom KSC10ML and the Kustom PA50. The PA50 is on sale for $80, though it seems big in comparison to other floor-angled monitors. This will be in the bedroom where the drum kit is, so I'd like something that isn't too bulky if possible. What do you think of those 2?

I came across unpowered monitors, and I ask what those are used for. How do they get power? Thank you

TheJay

Reaction score
Hey Peartfect, I've got the Alesis amp and it is big. I've got it in my spare room, I have a wall bracket to mount it on in the corner so it doesn't take up any floor space.

I would imagine unpowered monitors need an amplifier.

I don't know about the other speakers.

TomR

Reaction score
SPL (sound pressure level) is not the same thing as “volume” level

Assuming the same speaker, i didn’t say it won’t be louder. I said it will only be a tiny bit louder. When you double power, you get an additional 3dB of power. A 3dB increase is considered the point where humans can first notice change. 10dB additional power is generally the point where humans hear a doubling of loudness.

It is not just power that drives loudness. The efficiency of a speaker is a big factor. Looking at the efficiency spec of a speaker will tell you a great deal. Typical 15” speakers can vary by 6dB.
It's refreshing to read a post about the relationship of power and SPL from someone who knows what he's talking about. Just don't let them know that there's actually no such thing as watts RMS. :)