Decisions, decisions... kit buying drama lol

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I just had a baby girl so I sold one of my kits a few months back. Now I looking at potential kits and I am stuck on 2 main options. The first is a Sequoia Red Pearl BLX with 10x8, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16 and 22x16 for $599. The other is a brand new Tama Starclassic B/B with 12x8, 16x16 and 22x18 for $899. I am also looking at Gretsch Renown kits and adding another Saturn but these two have my most attention.

Which way would you guys lean?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just had a baby girl so I sold one of my kits ...

Which way would you guys lean?
If you just had a kid, and you already have a kit ...

I’m old school here, so don’t take offense.

I’d be cool with the kit I had and wouldn’t look for a new kit. I’d put my focus on my family and channel any and all resources towards that pond.

That’s me. Your results may vary.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Know "your" exact (wanted) sizes...Rest falls into place
2cents
Oddly enough, I’m not too fussy about the sizes as many seem to be. My first kit was a Tama Rockstar with power toms, then I got Pearl kit with 10x10 and 12x10 toms. I was 10 years old playing on deep toms so I am accustomed to them. 12x10 is a deep as I would go though and the 13x11 most likely wouldn’t see much use unless set up to the left of my hats which probably wouldn’t happen often.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
If you just had a kid, and you already have a kit ...

I’m old school here, so don’t take offense.

I’d be cool with the kit I had and wouldn’t look for a new kit. I’d put my focus on my family and channel any and all resources towards that pond.

That’s me. Your results may vary.
No offense taken. When I sold my kit, it wasn’t a necessity to, but I did it so that I could get ahead of it and but the bulk of the expensive stuff (car seats, crib, bassinet, etc). Now that stuff is acquired and I have saved money, I can get a kit and have it not be a detriment to my family. I also will most likely utilize layaway on anything that I buy, even though I have the money to buy outright.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you like the birch sound, the Pearl looks like a very flexible combination of sizes. You can do a 13/16/22 or a 10/12/14/22. You could even put the 16" on its side and use a 12/14/16 set-up for small gigs, or 10/13/16 if you're into lower tuning.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
If you like the birch sound, the Pearl looks like a very flexible combination of sizes. You can do a 13/16/22 or a 10/12/14/22. You could even put the 16" on its side and use a 12/14/16 set-up for small gigs, or 10/13/16 if you're into lower tuning.
I was king of thinking this as well. I used to have a black BLX in the exact same sizes that I only sold because a lot of the long lugs were broken and it was too hard to find replacements. The lugs on this one are all perfect. I also am pulled to the Starclassic B/B because of the discontinued shell that I have always loved. I have to admit though that there are so many more setup options with the BLX even though I don’t really fiddle with my setup often.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd keep an eye on CL, EBay and elsewhere and buy a quality used kit.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, the B/B's are such sexy drums though. They look incredible and sounds even better. Extremely high quality build out.
They're pricier, but I'd go Tama over Pearl. I'd be a bit wary of that 18" deep bass drum shell, but I'm always a bit too concerned with resale value.

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A word of caution on Pearl BLX - the threaded bosses on the lugs (the parts that go into the shell and house the lug screws) are prone to breaking. On the kit I had, although the toms were not affected, half the bosses on the bass drum were toast. Very weird considering I have a lot less tension on bass drum heads than tom heads. Great sounding drums though.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
A word of caution on Pearl BLX - the threaded bosses on the lugs (the parts that go into the shell and house the lug screws) are prone to breaking. On the kit I had, although the toms were not affected, half the bosses on the bass drum were toast. Very weird considering I have a lot less tension on bass drum heads than tom heads. Great sounding drums though.
Yeah, I know very well about the BLX/MLX lugs being prone to breakage. I had a black BLX that sounded amazing but had many of the long lugs that had broken. That is why I sold that one because it would have been too much to replace them all with new long lug (which could break again) or replace them with Session/Masters lugs.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I have found a Premier Vitria with 22x17, 10x8, 12x9, 14x14 in pretty good condition form $250. These have a Maple/Eucalyptus/Maple shell and low profile die-cast hoops. I played one of these kits a while ago as a backline kit and was surprised how much I liked the tone and sound on these, although I thought they were Premier XPK drums at the time (Birch/Eucalyptus/Birch). This kit would mainly be for gigging/rehearsals/sheds. I might just add this one. I need to go see it in person.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buy the Pearl. You will save $300 for needed diaper/formula and still have 3 additional drums to sell if need be....and congrats!

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I am still deciding what to do about a kit, but I did find a Pearl m-314LX 8 ply maple snare (6.5x14) for $80 bucks that I had to pick up. Will post pics when it ships in.

And thanks for acknowledgment of my new baby girl! She’s just too adorable!!