Decisions, decisions...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Alright.

I'm in the market for a new ride. I just sold my Bettis because it didn't play well with my 19" K Sweet and there was just something about it that I didn't like.

I'm currently playing light amplified rock and latin music. In the running right now are 4 cymbals. All 21".
K Sweet
K Custom Dark Complex
K Crash Ride
50's Avedis

Anybody have any thoughts on weight ranges to look out for on these models?
Especially with the KCDC and 50's Avedis.
Also open to other suggestions, but I really do prefer the 21" size.

jsp210

Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts on weight ranges to look out for on these models?
Especially with the KCDC and 50's Avedis.
Also open to other suggestions, but I really do prefer the 21" size.
I would think a 21" weighing around 2300-2450g would be the sweet spot as a primary ride with decent crash capability.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the Sabian hhx groove ride 21" I got a few weeks ago. Best I've had. Maybe go check out sound samples on you tube. Can't quite remember but weight is about 2470.

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
21 Pre-Aged Dry Light. It'll give you the bell you need for latin, a nice stick almost like a flat, and then crash/wash a bit if you get into the edge.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
21 A Sweet? plays well with others

I've had good luck with odd size cymbals.
17's, 19's 21's, never had a 23, but I once found a 23 A Sweet store demo that was real nice, didn't have $400, that one got away

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was talking with the seller about that one. Very intriguing. I wonder how well it would pair with my 19" k sweet.

J

jaymandude

I was talking with the seller about that one. Very intriguing. I wonder how well it would pair with my 19" k sweet.
It will seem too washy. I have one, the 21. I love it, it's a great cymbal. But I think you need something with a little more definition.

J

jaymandude

Or if he loves that cymbal..maybe just a piece of tape underneath
It's just my opinon. I don't know what he's looking for.. explanation of styles doesn't really help me. A video of how a guy plays does, how he holds the sticks. How hard he plays, his technique. That's what I would really need to make a good recommendation. If He plays lighter with small tips it might work, if he uses a 5B, even playing lightly it might not.

I've been doing this too long to have any idea of what someone wants. I barely know what I want. Everyone wants light jazz cymbals around here anyway for their resteraunt gigs. Ha ha

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 21" trans stamp at 2390 gm is just about perfect. Wonderful crash that explodes with the lightest touch, smooth ride. Though for amplified light rock not sure how it would do there. I haven't run into any 1950's 22's (or later ones) that do it any better than this 21". Hard to find size though in the 50's. If you can latch on to a trans, large, or small stamp 21" in the 2200-2400 gm range, that will do. Large or trans stamp preferred imo. Hard to go wrong with your 4 choices though.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Everyone wants light jazz cymbals around here anyway for their resteraunt gigs. Ha ha
me I go for, total battlefield domination approach (tbd) even if it s a St. Paddy's Day sing-along trio with Accordion.
edit: especially if it s a St. Paddy's Day sing-along trio with Accordion.

Last edited:
J

jaymandude

me I go for, total battlefield domination approach (tbd) even if it s a St. Paddy's Day sing-along trio with Accordion.
edit: especially if it s a St. Paddy's Day sing-along trio with Accordion.
My man... I remeber an old post I wriote for cymbalholic after being in New Orleans. And all the jazz guys there were using much heavier cymbals than the NY guys.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
My man... I remeber an old post I wriote for cymbalholic after being in New Orleans. And all the jazz guys there were using much heavier cymbals than the NY guys.
agree completely. 22" 3013g K Dark Medium / 22" old K New Stamp 2877g / 22" Hammer 2520g is a lighter cymbal / 22 old Avedis 2580g sort of a medium/
those are my 22s
(I wasn't joking about the accordion trio)
that 2877g old K 22 taught me long time ago -
the merits of Weightage
- - - - -- -

Last edited:

Latest posts