Decisions, decisions...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I want a medium weight cymbal with a thin edge that allows it to open up quickly. It would be a bonus if it had a decent stick sound.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Avedis or the Sweet. Lighter will likely open up easier and be washier. Can't have everything :)
What about those staccato prototypes? Or some small bell/mini cup. Isn't that the point of that design? Wash control?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I honestly don't hit that hard and usually play SD4 Combos.
I love the shimmery pad of wash that lighter rides provide in an overall mix.
I was just trying to maintain a more minimalist set-up. I guess maybe I'll have to get two cymbals. A medium ride and a light ride and use them together with my crash.

TPC

Reaction score
Also open to other suggestions, but I really do prefer the 21" size.
I'm a bit of a one-note samba on this, but when the subject of a 21" comes up, I have to chime in with the Paiste 21" Masters Medium Ride.

It's a marvelous cymbal that does the old-school, handmade, ancient-sounding, ride thing better than any cymbal I've played in years. The ride sound and the bell ... perfect. The crash, while seemingly heavy and clangy on its own, fits right inside the music in context.

OK - now back to your regularly scheduled Zildjian programming. ;)

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a one-note samba on this, but when the subject of a 21" comes up, I have to chime in with the Paiste 21" Masters Medium Ride.

It's a marvelous cymbal that does the old-school, handmade, ancient-sounding, ride thing better than any cymbal I've played in years. The ride sound and the bell ... perfect. The crash, while seemingly heavy and clangy on its own, fits right inside the music in context.

OK - now back to your regularly scheduled Zildjian programming. ;)
I appreciate the suggestion. I've owned a few Paistes. I liked them. They have they're own flavor for sure. It's just never been my favorite.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
There's Video demonstrations of every 21" drumset (one video mis titled but video itself is correct (K Hybrid 21) cymbal Zildjian currently make (12 total) on the website. Add in the second hand 21" discontinued models out there

Have you gone thru the current list

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you gone thru the current list
Exhaustively.

Videos and sound files only show so much.

I just need to pick one and go with it, I'm just so tired of the shipping process! Haha.
I'm starting to lean heavily towards the K Custom Dark Complex. Wondering about which weight to look for. I've seen them as with a 300+ gram weight differential.
I'm thinking one around 2500g would be a good fit for me. I'm just worried about the heavier ones being a bit clangy.

egw

Reaction score
I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but since you mentioned 21", maybe look into the Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis ride cymbal. I've had one for almost 20 years now, and while I don't find it terribly useful for jazz playing (even big band), it's a killer ride for light to medium-heavy rock music. Has a nice, non-abrasive stick sound, and an awesome crash and crash-ride sound. May be just what you're after. Especially if you can find one on the slightly heavier than median side. Check it out.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Exhaustively.

Videos and sound files only show so much.

I just need to pick one and go with it, I'm just so tired of the shipping process! Haha.
I'm starting to lean heavily towards the K Custom Dark Complex. Wondering about which weight to look for. I've seen them as with a 300+ gram weight differential.
I'm thinking one around 2500g would be a good fit for me. I'm just worried about the heavier ones being a bit clangy.
Should buy a used one. And just Trust...you will get to know it...and after you've fully explored it then decide if you made a good decision . Indecision sucks. You never know beforehand you must thrust yourself into the future.

or sit it out.

Listen to the Croc' story here about Charging toward the future

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Haha, Michigan.
I was trying to think where you could go to hear a few of these, or if someone reading this is close by with some options.. I have a bunch of sheeet you could hear, but I'm in Austin. Not to sell you, but so you could hear it...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was trying to think where you could go to hear a few of these, or if someone reading this is close by with some options.. I have a bunch of sheeet you could hear, but I'm in Austin. Not to sell you, but so you could hear it...
Thanks for the thought. I think my closest options for trying some pies are in Chicago. And there's not way I'm going there, right now!
Sorry to be annoying. Just bored at home these days.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We're all bored, just post some mycymbal links maybe, of what you're considering.
Ok.

This K crash ride weighs 2485 and I really like the deep crash and the way it sounds generally lower pitched. I just worry that the stick would be completely lost once it gets wobbling.

I like the overall sound of this 22" K light but look and listen how hard he has to smack it for it to fully open up. May not be crashable enough for me.

This K Sweet, and most that I've heard recordings of, seem to open up really nicely and have a pingy enough stick for lightly amplified music. My only hesitation comes from their similarity to the A Sweet. They're just kind of white bread. I would love to have a cymbal that I can pull many sounds out of. I had an A Sweet for many years and I loved it, but it just wasn't complex or interesting to me. I want something darker that has a few more tricks up its sleeve.

Which brings me to the Dark Complex.
They kind of seem to be all over the place.
Some seem really nicely crashable and dark and other seem pingy and dry. That's why I was curious about anyone having experience with different weight ranges with any of these models.
This one sounds great to me:
All of the cymbals I'm looking at seem to range from 2300g's to 2500g's. Which is interesting.
There's a prototype 21" K sweet on Reverb right now that is 2300 grams. The lightest I've seen lately. I almost bought it but worried about resale value if I don't like it, which is important to me during this hunt I'm on.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's just my opinon. I don't know what he's looking for.. explanation of styles doesn't really help me. A video of how a guy plays does, how he holds the sticks. How hard he plays, his technique. That's what I would really need to make a good recommendation. If He plays lighter with small tips it might work, if he uses a 5B, even playing lightly it might not.

I've been doing this too long to have any idea of what someone wants. I barely know what I want. Everyone wants light jazz cymbals around here anyway for their resteraunt gigs. Ha ha
I use a 3120 gram 22" SCDR for my restaurant gigs. Works great
;)