Deep forest walnut

W

wayne

Made by Mapex in around 2007, serial number 00440. This I could not ignore, its so special. 100% walnut,6.5x14, in mint condition. I,ll post pics soon, but have you tried one of these out?. Its dark beyond belief yet sensitive as a school girl. I can only imagine what the rest of the kit sounded like!

R

RickP

I played one at a backline room in Toronto around 10 years or so ago. I was really impressed with the sound of this drum. I love walnut snare drums.

W

wayne

Thx Rick, I see you have a thing for walnut!!..I was hoping for a lot more feedback, but perhaps no one took to the radical change over maple and birch??

R

RickP

Wayne, the Deep Forest Walnut kits are really nice too if you can find one. Mapex also made a Deep Forest Cherry that was really sweet too. Not a lot of love for Mapex on this site . I recall when Mapex first entered the Canadian market, they had all sorts of quality issues and many drum shops dropped them very quickly. Long and McQuade's in Canada has become the exclusive distributor of Mapex in Canada and from my understanding they are not selling that well.

W

wayne

I get the its" not made in the US so we don't accept it" thing, but this is the first 100% walnut drum line made, and I figured there would be a lot of players checking it out...Oh well, wrong again.

W

wayne

While its on my mind I may as well put my 2 cents in..Mapex MUST alter their name some how and make it stick. There has been way to much negativity regarding this but they wont listen. Also, they need to get to the mature buyer, like us, with jobs and money in the bank. Instead they target impressionable teens who only use what their idol uses. They should try a campaign that focuses on "pros", even ex pros like a lot of us. It wouldn,t hurt to try.........................But the name has to go!

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I don't think they will be changing their name any time soon. They sell a ton of drums and have a great spot in the market. I think most of the negativity occurs on drum forums, to be honest.

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
I don't think they will be changing their name any time soon. They sell a ton of drums and have a great spot in the market. I think most of the negativity occurs on drum forums, to be honest.
A big +1 on this above statement.
If you've actually played any Mapex drums you'd understand the sonic equality in tone and build that many other drum companies thrive on.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
I owned a Mapex Deep Forest Black Panther Cherry snare drum. Whilst it's undoubtedly the longest and (possibly dumbest) name for a snare drum, it was a great snare. Really turned my head around to cherry. The Sakae Road Anew budget line uses luan with a cherry final interior ply and they sound fantastic. Also I played a Mapex kit on an album about 5 years ago and I was extremely happy with the entire kit. Good drums.

phfreq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 14x6.5 Black Panther Deep Forest Walnut snare in the matte finish (I think this was the first iteration of the snare since the next ones were shiny). Very good sounding snare. Every once in a while I've thought about selling it but when I take it out of the bag and play it, it seems to not want to leave :) -- though I could probably be convinced to let it go :)

Very sensitive, wide tuning range, dark, whispers at low volume and roars when whipped :-D

The full deep forest walnut kit would probably sound good but haven't had a chance to try one.

Also had a saturn kit -- the walnut/maple version -- one of the best "modern" sound I've heard -- specially the kick drum. The snare is a sleeper too.

superdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got the Mapex Deep Forest Cherry drum kit from 2001. Fantastic drums and they sing! I'm not a walnut fan so much but I do see why others like them so much.

I'm looking to trade my kit only because I don't have a use for it

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those Deep Forest drums were the reason I finished my home build kit in a natural walnut dye with a low gloss. Some of my favorite looking kits/snares ever. Congrats on the find!

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
Wayne, the Deep Forest Walnut kits are really nice too if you can find one. Mapex also made a Deep Forest Cherry that was really sweet too. Not a lot of love for Mapex on this site . I recall when Mapex first entered the Canadian market, they had all sorts of quality issues and many drum shops dropped them very quickly. Long and McQuade's in Canada has become the exclusive distributor of Mapex in Canada and from my understanding they are not selling that well.
I've got a 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I'll take pictures if interested.

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
Made by Mapex in around 2007, serial number 00440. This I could not ignore, its so special. 100% walnut,6.5x14, in mint condition. I,ll post pics soon, but have you tried one of these out?. Its dark beyond belief yet sensitive as a school girl. I can only imagine what the rest of the kit sounded like!
I've got a 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I'll take pictures if interested.

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
My 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut Mapex kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I never traveled with them. Studio work only. I'll take pictures if interested. No cases. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SOUNDING KIT!!!!

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
My 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut Mapex kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I never traveled with them. Studio work only. I'll take pictures if interested. No cases. ABSOLUTELY A GREAT SOUNDING KIT!!!!

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
Those Deep Forest drums were the reason I finished my home build kit in a natural walnut dye with a low gloss. Some of my favorite looking kits/snares ever. Congrats on the find!

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score