DELETE

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im not sure if the inputs work the same way as the TD-30 module, but you need special splitters with built-in resistors between the tip and ring inputs if you want to split the inputs for 2 pads. You can buy them at www.drumsplitters.com. if that doesn't work you can always buy a second module for the additional pads. I ran a dual TD-30 setup for a short period of time. It was pretty crazy having that many pads.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Roland uses 2 different types of inputs. Peizo/piezo and peizo/switch. You can split the peizo/peizo inputs with the proper splitters that have the resistor built in them. You can not split the peizo/switch inputs at all. Maybe your pad inputs are peizo/switch and that's why you can't get it to work. Usually the aux pad inputs are peizo/peizo and can be split. I am able to split all the inputs on the TD-30 with the exception of the kick, hi-hat, Cym 1, Cym 2 and the Ride input. I believe I can split the ride edge input. All I know is that I can run all this off one TD-30 Module:

https://flic.kr/p/2m3Pe15
Actually I have one more cymbals to add that is not in the picture.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great information. How do I tell what Inputs I have? Ummmm, one more cymbal LMAO, Oh yeah, there's a blinding hole in the center of your kit. Shame on you LOL. Thanks for the help. Extremely impressive kit you got there Tommy D. One other question. My Bell on my ride is very quiet, I have to hit very hard to make it respond at all. Is there a way to increase the volume? I have the level set at 6.0 db which is max.
The kit is still a work in progress. I still need to wrap the 3 rack toms and get the bass drum hoops painted. This was just a test fit to make sure things layd out okay and everything triggered properly.

Check out the vdrum forum: https://www.vdrums.com/forum

There is lots of info about getting your cymbals to trigger better, your inputs, module settings, etc. Depending on the cymbal pad the bell response is not that great. My CY-15 isn't bad, but I have heard some CY-12 and 13's are pretty bad. There are some modifications you can make to give it better sensitivity. Its all on the other forum.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Generally, cymbal inputs are piezo/switch. Tom and snare inputs are peizo/peizo. Aux is usually peizo/peizo. But I dont know if the TD-17 uses any of Roland's new technology in it with USB or whatever they did when they introduced the TD-50. This is where logging on to the Vdrums forum and asking your question there would help. Those guys know pretty much everything.