Deliver me from temptation ...

Man,what a beauty!! and what a price!!!...I thought they were made in Japan,not Taiwan :?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
wayne said:
Man,what a beauty!! and what a price!!!...I thought they were made in Japan,not Taiwan :?

It has been calling to me since last night. I would have grabbed it immediately, but have acquired 6 single-ply snare drums in the past month ... plus I do have a Pearl 50th Anniversary (also single-ply). Still ... :)

PureRockFury

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wayne said:

Pearl's drums are made in China and Taiwan. China for the Forums, Vision VX, VSX, and VBX. Taiwan for the Vision VMX, Masters Custom, Masters Premium, Reference, and Masterworks.

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I believe they still have a rather small plant in Japan, probably making endorser kits only.
That's a beautiful snare.

mikestand

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is indeed "BEAUTIFUL LOOKING" but does it follow that it's "ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE SOUNDING" too? If I were to guess I'd say it probably sounds good, but not as good as it looks...

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
mikestand said:
It is indeed "BEAUTIFUL LOOKING" but does it follow that it's "ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE SOUNDING" too? If I were to guess I'd say it probably sounds good, but not as good as it looks...

Compared to Pearl's normal ply drums it probably does sound incredible. It is a 4-ply and at 5mm pretty thin, and pure African mahogany. Pearl manages to make even their low end snare drums sound good, so "incredible" is a matter of degree. It probably sounds damn nice.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mikestand said:

Mine sounds pretty darn good!

mahogany.jpg

Please excuse the finger prints! Interesting story... I was bidding against old DCI forum member Limapop--anyone remember him? Anyway, he won the auction. A few months later, he decided to sell. I bought it from him, and for less than he won it for just a few months earlier. I won't tell you what I paid, but it was less than the current asking price of that ebay drum. Of course, that was years ago.

It's one fat sounding drum. I love playing Jazz on it. Hmm. Maybe I'll take it along for my gigs this weekend!

Do y,all think it would look any better with chrome hardware,cause we know it would certainly sound better? :wink:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
brhythm said:
Mine sounds pretty darn good!
It's one fat sounding drum. I love playing Jazz on it. Hmm. Maybe I'll take it along for my gigs this weekend!

Give me a head's up if it ever goes back on eBay :) I assume those are DC hoops, right? If I were to get one I'd have to swap 'em out for SF. That is just me.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup, cast hoops. I remember, Mike, you're a stick chopper guy. I think that would be an interesting sound on this drum--I wonder what it would do to it. There's plenty of resonance in it already; opening it more might blow all my hair off! I don't suspect I'll be getting rid of it, but if the time comes, and we're both still hanging out here, I'll ping you before it goes to the 'bay! Oh, and it's going to my gig tonight! It's already in the car!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
brhythm said:
Yup, cast hoops. I remember, Mike, you're a stick chopper guy. I think that would be an interesting sound on this drum--I wonder what it would do to it. There's plenty of resonance in it already; opening it more might blow all my hair off!

The Pearl 50th Anniversary is a single-ply with stick choppers and it just sings. I would definitely need those hoops on a ply drum to open it up.

Harris K.

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
killerbobbarker said:
It looks like a much sweeter/bigger version of the Omar Hakim snare.

That's what I thought too. I have the OH and I love it. If this one sounds just as good - only bigger - I wouldn't mind at all hitting it...

Mike, I remember drooling over the 50th Anniversary snare when it first came out. I happened to be looking again at the '96 Pearl snare catalog recently (with it on the cover), and decided to built one like it, only with brass plated h/w to keep the cost down (and not to be afraid to play rim shots...). I already found a black stain that looks like a very close match, and I will soon order the shell and hardware.

brhythm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I kid you not. The following is a true story.

I took the snare to the gig last night. I've got about 20 in the collection, and they all get played. The band never knows what's coming out of the case. Both the other guys in the trio said "That snare sounds really good in this room!" At the end of the gig, a member of the crowd comes up, introduces himself as a drummer (we were actually in college together at one point), and he says "That snare sounds really good."

I think you should get it!