Demo video for a copper drum kit I built.

OffbeatDrumCo

Reaction score
I just finished up this 10x7", 13x8", 16x15", 22x16" copper patina drum kit with maple re-rings. It was supposed to be the centerpiece for my booth at the Chicago Drum Expo (and my first time displaying at a drum show), but 2020 had other plans.

So here's the next best thing: a demo video!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, first things first.... welcome to the Drum Forum, It's neat to have several manufactures and builders on the boards and I hope like many of them, you will become active and engage with us in all things drumming!

Now, lets talk Offbeat drums... I am not the target audience for rolled and riveted drums, but I have to say, if I was ever going to be it would be yours! No way around it, your finish work is true ART! Not only do the drums look amazing, every time I hear one I am so very impressed. The copper / maple fusion is a perfect blend for me. Were I to find a deal in the secondary market, I would have no qualms in snatching that bad boy up in a second!

Welcome to the boards and thanks for the video, he does a great job showing off the kit.

Ward

OffbeatDrumCo

Reaction score
Ward,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I have lurked on DFO threads in the past, but haven't been an active participant. Recently I stumbled upon a post where someone was asking about my shells and I figured I should create an actual account so I can help answer any future questions or weigh in on the discussions!

Regarding my drums, I will 100% agree that they aren't for everyone, and that's okay! I firmly believe that there is no right or wrong when it comes to drums, (generally speaking) and what works for one drummer, may not be the answer for someone else. I just build drums that I think sound good, look cool, and that I would want to play myself. I've been extremely fortunate that the drumming community at large has been so welcoming and supportive!

Also shoutout to Gabe Helguera, he is an incredibly talented individual and he makes some amazing videos!

Jordan
OBDCo.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
WOW!

good grief ... that is a seriously cool kit. I love the finish work. Really nice.
I guess my curiousity is piqued at how you attached the copper to the maple. So, if that could be explained/shown ... that would be slick.
And WELCOME ... I'd hug, but you know ... Covid.

OffbeatDrumCo

Reaction score
WOW!

good grief ... that is a seriously cool kit. I love the finish work. Really nice.
I guess my curiousity is piqued at how you attached the copper to the maple. So, if that could be explained/shown ... that would be slick.
And WELCOME ... I'd hug, but you know ... Covid.
Thank you so much! Glad you like the drums! I'm really proud of how this copper kit turned out. It's been a little while since I've built a whole kit so I got to employ some new techniques I'd developed since building the last one.

Here's a picture that shows the shells without the hardware to give you a better idea. There is a slight rabbet cut in the rings, so the wood is actually sitting on top of the copper a bit. Once the heads are on it's not going anywhere. The rivets aren't really necessary but they do keep anybody from separating the rings from the shell when the heads aren't installed.

20200425_121454.jpg

Latest posts