Depreciation

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if that's spelled correctly or not.....We know that when a new drum leaves the store, it loses a lot of value right away, because its now a used drum. No problem, but do you think the same thing applies to cymbals? I notice a lot of "played only one show" cymbals for sale everywhere, which has me thinking players buy without trying, far to frequently.

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depreciation ..... some things gain value over time but if a cymbal is a recent purchase and being sold on it should lose some value and where I live that can be as much as 50%. Your area might be different. And since cymbals cant be tuned to change them, there is danger in unheard cymbal purchases - particularly ride cymbals.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a drum shop today who tells me they are getting considerable more cymbals in on trade than drums, which is fine by them because they make more money this way. Who knew? But why are players still buying "used" cymbals before trying them out?

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once demo'd cymbals from trade shows or other one time venues (cymbals look new) sell for about a 20-30% discount. I bought a demo'd set of K's for $720 last year. The normal on line store price is $950-$1075 range. The more they get used, the more they do down in price. New Pro Packs of A's are around $800+ but you can find barely used sets for sale in the $450-$525 range.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I buy cymbals without trying, but generally not new. I keep an eye on the equivilent of Craigslist for bargains on drum and guitar stuff, and rarely are they local when they turn up! At good prices I have an easier time flipping them without taking a loss. So, I love people who buy new and flip stuff!

I also find that what I like in the store doesn't necessarily blend with the rest of my set, record as I expect, or generally end up feeling "right". This way I can really put a piece of gear through its paces without too much sunk cost.

I would not consider a small discount worth the hassle and potential pitfalls of buying used though, and in that case would rather give some love to the local shops. One of the two in my town just closed down..

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like TamaCW said-I think the "played once" deals are trade shows, clinics, backline kit cymbal packs.

Rather than oull five separate cymbals off the shelf they grab a cymbal pack and use that.

Box it up and resell it at a discount.

kallen49

Reaction score
when I bought my brand new Sabian HHX 14” accelerator hats in 2011 they were $275 CAN, now they are listed at $449.
A lot of this is the fall of $ CAN relative to $US but not all. There certainly seems to be a big depreciation as I was offered $170 as a trade in this summer at the store I purchased from (which I declined). Would hope to get $200 to $230 if I sold them online. Keeping for now.

I was able to buy like new but used Paiste 2002 cymbals this summer at a very reasonable price, aging boomer was selling off his collection. I predict more of this in the near future.
My 16” zildjian crash I bought used in 1973 for $40 was a good investment, was bashed mightily by a few drummers at a benefit show last night.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Buying used cymbals online is simply a gamble, so I make sure that whatever I buy is at a good enough price that I can flip them without loss. Recently I bought a set of Sabian Rock Hats that were just not my liking and broke even on resell. Same with a 23" Zildjian A Sweet Ride, and a 20" Zildjian A Swish.

At the other end of the spectrum, though, I picked up a very nice Sabian 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride that I love, and a brand new 16" Zildjian K Dark Crash for less than 1/2 of the usual sale price.

So, a little over half of the cymbals I buy online, unheard, end up being resold - but with no loss. As long as I can continue doing that, I'm prepared to take the risk.

GeeDeeEmm

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of cymbal depreciation is cosmetic; fingerprints and stick marks. But in a way it's ironic since many agree that cymbals sound better with age.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 16” zildjian crash I bought used in 1973 for $40 was a good investment, was bashed mightily by a few drummers at a benefit show last night.
You did get good "use" of that cymbals over 45 yrs.....but it's all relative. The CPI index is up 5.8X since 1973. So that $40 in 1973 purchasing power is the equivalent of $580 today. I can think of a lot of things "collectible" I could have (and in same cases did) "invest" $40-$75 in back in 1973 and they'd be worth $1000-$2500 today. I've run across a couple nice medium and med thin Zildjian A crash cymbals from the 60's and 70's off Ebay this past year that cost me $45-$60 delivered. Not that far from the $40 of 1973.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Yes. My impression is that as soon as they're out the door, cymbals are only worth about 80% of what they cost in the store (and that's if you can find a buyer). Over time, I figure that a good used cymbal is worth about 60% of retail, though it varies by market conditions (as well as of course the condition of the cymbal).

The nice thing about cymbals at about 60% of real retail, though, is that they don't continue to depreciate much. It's as if the depreciation trajectory stops about here, depending again on market conditions and the condition of the cymbal.

It's a weird and almost illogical depreciation trajectory. There's a lot of depreciation for only a few fingerprints and stick marks, then only about the same amount for serious use, then almost none.

This is why I never buy either new or nearly new cymbals. I buy 'em used, and on the average sell them for as much as I paid.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a drum shop today who tells me they are getting considerable more cymbals in on trade than drums, which is fine by them because they make more money this way. Who knew? But why are players still buying "used" cymbals before trying them out?
Because I’m an addict and can’t help myself.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck buying used and new cymbals without trying them. If the price is right, you can take the gamble.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had good luck buying used and new cymbals without trying them. If the price is right, you can take the gamble.
Same here....

Easy to assess-I've kept more than I have resold.

Sometimes the deals are just to good to pass up. It would be *nice* to hear them upfront but most times it's just not possible.

sammy123

Reaction score
I generally buy the same series of cymbals so for me buying used is generally not too much of a risk soundwise. For example just bought a Paiste thin crash sight unseen. It sounds like what I expected.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I generally buy the same series of cymbals so for me buying used is generally not too much of a risk soundwise. For example just bought a Paiste thin crash sight unseen. It sounds like what I expected.
Paistes are known to be much more consistent from cymbal to cymbal than other makers. Zildjians are more of a gamble, K's moreso, the Turkish handmade cymbals are just a dice roll. That said, all the Bosphorus and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals I've bought signt unseen have been great.

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
Paistes are known to be much more consistent from cymbal to cymbal than other makers. Zildjians are more of a gamble, K's moreso, the Turkish handmade cymbals are just a dice roll. That said, all the Bosphorus and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals I've bought signt unseen have been great.
That is one reason I feel comfortable going this route; I like Paistes. I'm fairly certain the sound clips on their site and Youtube will largely resemble what I end up with.