Derek Munson thinks he's John Bonham...

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I loved it, great job on two classic songs that honored them while still putting an original slant on them. Actually, your playing reminded me most of the "other" Bonham, Jason---and I mean that in the most complimentary way. You both have a similar style, with the use of double crashes at the end of fills and the way that you break things up around the kit. I loved the dynamics, too---you have very impressive control at low volume, and a nice touch on the ride. Excellent!

fireboy63

Reaction score
¡Excelente, Derek! Thank you for sharing. I, too, was very impressed by the sound of the drums, and especially the crashes. You did a helluva job driving them!
Gracias, bhall! Those crashes were really great, for sure. I almost felt bad for abusing them the way I did - I don't think I've ever played so heavy in my life. (I typically play a lot of tight funk and jazz, so it felt good to let loose and just kill them drums!)

Great sounding tubs and great playing. loved the video :occasion5:
All credit for the sound of the drums goes to Don Gunn; he just did an incredible job with the whole production of everything. The only thing I did as far as tuning was tweak the snare a little bit (tighten it slightly), but everything else is Don's handiwork. I wish I could take credit for how good it sounds, but it's all Don. :notworthy:

I loved it, great job on two classic songs that honored them while still putting an original slant on them. Actually, your playing reminded me most of the "other" Bonham, Jason---and I mean that in the most complimentary way. You both have a similar style, with the use of double crashes at the end of fills and the way that you break things up around the kit. I loved the dynamics, too---you have very impressive control at low volume, and a nice touch on the ride. Excellent!
Wow, right on, Luddite - thank you for the very kind compliments! Very observant, too - I know exactly what you mean about the "double crashes at the end of fills" thing (I've done that for years now without thinking about it). And on the control thing, that comes from playing lots of quiet jazz trio and quartet gigs. Like I said above, I don't get to play rock sessions nearly enough, so it's cool to let loose when I do. ;-)

fireboy63

Reaction score
Now that my site is sorted out, here is the post that talks about the production of the song/video:
Norwood/Kashmir Medley Blog Post - DerekMunson.com

I should also mention that the track is available as a single on iTunes, as well. If you enjoyed it, you might consider supporting Aaron English in the great music he makes. I know he'd appreciate it. You can CLICK HERE to buy it right now. (It's only 99 cents!)

Thanks again for all the support guys! Glad you're enjoying it. :eek:

bleen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All credit for the sound of the drums goes to Don Gunn; he just did an incredible job with the whole production of everything. The only thing I did as far as tuning was tweak the snare a little bit (tighten it slightly), but everything else is Don's handiwork. I wish I could take credit for how good it sounds, but it's all Don. :notworthy:
Aw, I just put the mics in the right places and made sure the kit was tuned well!

The kit was as follows:

18x22 Ludwig Legacy Classic kick in custom piano black lacquer - Jason McGerr had one of each size made in the LCs before the last DCfC tour and we kept the drums he wasn't taking on the road there at the studio.
8x10, 14x14, 16x16 yellow Vistalite toms - these were my fave toms to record at the studio! So punchy, lots of tone.
5x14 COB Supra - Jason found a like-new COB in Japan a few years back. Insane drum!

Cymbals were all Istanbul Agop Traditionals - 14" hats, 18 & 19 crashes, 22" dark ride.

Everyone played their collective asses off and what you hear in the video is one take, all live, with the addition of two guitar overdubs. The whole thing was over in less than 3 hours! Derek brought the gigantic RAWK to this song and my my job really easy. :notworthy:

I mixed it at my studio after Two Sticks had closed and the building sold to another studio owner.

Bopaking

Reaction score
Wow. I enjoyed the hell out of that! Super tasteful twists on these classics. Really beautiful playing all around, and the sounds - awesome.

fireboy63

Reaction score
Thank YOU guys for being so supportive and enjoying it! I'm really glad it's going over so well here.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
great job Derek. Love the sound of those drums, and your drumming is spot on!
really interesting take on the Beatles tune. thanks for sharing :occasion5:

drumbum38

Forum Member
Reaction score
That was outstanding! I watched the "official vid" (on YT @ 480p fwiw). Have not watched the drum cam (yet). I dug it so much I subscribed immediately afterward. I look forward to checking out the other stuff later.

I loved everything about it! The mix was great, the video itself was great, the musicians were great, and the drums (and drummer) sounded, well....GREAT! And that singer? Dang! Great voice. Thank you for sharing that. And fwiw, I'm one of those die-hard JB fans and Kashmir is one of my favorite LZ songs. You are definitely in the clear man! ha-ha. Awesome job.

To Derek, The Aaron English Band, and Don Gunn ....... :occasion5: