Design YOUR Signature snare

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I more or less did this with Noble & Cooley. They built me a snare for my CD Maples kit. 6.5x14, N&C cam action wires, coated ambassador over ambassador snare side, in Hematite Sparkle finish. Sure, if you want this exact snare they can make it for you, but this one is exactly what I wanted.
View attachment 532894 View attachment 532895
Sorry if I missed this from another thread, but are those time machine resonant heads from Peart's actual set? If so, how the hell did you get them? Haha

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I like this thread. Thanks to the OP for presenting this hypothetical.

I would certainly love any drum company to make me a snare to my specs. I've done this many times (paying for the drum of course). Like some posters already commented, several of my custom configurations looked beautiful, but ended up sounding differently than what I wanted/imagined.

Before I describe my "signature" snare drums, I would like to mention the signature snare drums that have struck a chord in me, and have remained with me for years. The original Mike Portnoy Melody Masters (5.5x14 Maple Dream Theater and 5.5x12 Hammered Steel Dream Theater) were/are very special and unique drums. They both have a special throw off that allows you to have more or less snare sound. I upgraded both of mine to have adjustable butt plates as well. The other signature snare that will always be with me is the Dunnett Carter McLean Balance (6.5x14 walnut/maple). It is one of the finest instruments I've ever handled. The attention to detail is extraordinary.

I couldn't settle on just one signature model, but I think I could be satisfied with two. I would prefer the drums to be made by Tama. The parts, edges, and wires combine to make sound that is most pleasing to me. Also, I play larger drum sets, and like to keep the snare buzz to a minimum. For some reason, Tama Hi-Carbon wires sound great, but also seem to have less sympathetic buzz. If another company wanted to make me a drum, they'd grow tired of me saying that they have to make each part the way Tama does, haha.

My first drum would be 8x14, African mahogany thin-ply shell or steam-bent, with figured maple re-rings. The outer-ply would be whatever exotic veneer that's available at the time. I would like aluminum diecast hoops, aluminum tube lugs with brass inserts, stainless steel tension bolts, hi-carbon snare wires 12 or 14 wires in a equalizer style, and a dual adjust strainer.

My second drum would be a 7x14 cast bronze shell (similar to Tama "bell brass"), thin, but with integrated re-rings. I would want the same style hardware as on my wood signature snare.

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually have given this a great deal of thought.

First, I actually have a few snares that I view in this manner of "dream signature" snare.
My mom's tribute snare which is a Ludwig classic maple, 6.5x14, purple shadow, flat imperials, die cast hoops, cast badge, p-86 throw, remo renaissance emperor batter, Ludwig reso, and grover wires with Capezio ballet point shoe ribbon for snare straps.
The next one I had made was a Ludwig classic maple 5x14, psych red glass glitter, tube lugs, die cast hoops, large keystone badge, with a super sensitive throw, all the paperwork from Ludwig documenting that it is the only one.

Now, for the extravagant snare.....
size: 7x14
hoops: die cast brass
lugs: 10 brass tubes, full length like Ludwig did in the 1920'-30's
badge: hand made silver and engraved
wires: bronze and silver guitar string wound style, Grover like
throw off/butt: extended, like a p-70 super sensitive, all brass, no plastic pieces

And for the shell...
Stradivarius! Spruce, maple, and willow, with a varnished exterior and raw interior

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
* Size - 14x5
  • Shell material - Maple (Solid)
  • Bearing edge - combo: Full roundover on top, sharp inner 45 on bottom with slight chamfer on the outside
  • Finish - natural
  • # and lug type - 10 Gretsch double ended lugs
  • Hoops - Wood on top, metal on bottom
  • Batter head spec - coated medium weight
  • Reso head spec - thin weight snare side
  • Spec’d Snare Wires - 42 strand
  • Throwoff - beer tap
  • snare bed - shallow and wide
All this now has me thinking about a metal shelled adjunct to my prior post.
The metal shelled counterpart of the above would use a thin Bronze sheet (like Ludwig did with the Rocker's), with Die cast hoop on top over trip flange on the bottom.
Edges would just be smoothed over enough to pull all the sharpness and roughness out of them.
Otherwise, everything else would remain the same.

Last edited:

HowardW

Reaction score
One of my sets was made by Precision Drum Company to my specs. So if I were to ask them to make me a custom snare:
  • 6.5x14"
  • African mahogany/poplar wood. Stained clear, either satin or semi-glass.
  • Roundover edges
  • INDE strainer, DW adjustable butt
  • Beavertail lugs
  • 3.0 triple flange hoop on top, Gibraltar cast hoop on bottom
  • Puresound wires
  • Evans heads
Come to think of it, it's Christmas time... maybe I should pick up the phone and call Precision? :cool:

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the bottom snare custom made for me a bit over a decade ago.

A stack of back and forth with Paul Warry at Metro, and this is what we decided on:

14x6.5” Jarrah stave
30deg edges with a bit of a round over
High gloss finish
Tube lugs
Trick strainer
2.3mm hoops plus a set of matching Jarrah segmented hoops

It’s a really ‘ballsy’ drum. Pretty sensitive, really high volume potential, quite a dense sound, big rim shot. I think the edges enhance that low end of the Jarrah, give it a little extra warmth.

It’s almost got metallic highs in there, kind of feels in between a normal wood snare and a metal drum in that sense. Not 100% if that’s due it it being a stave shell or the Jarrah, or both.

Great rim clicks, especially with the Jarrah hoops.

Probably not the most versatile drum, but it’s got a huge presence and some character.

DCC10D51-FA0D-4110-80B0-B6E2F21426DE.jpeg

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just slap a sticker with my name instead of the various other brands sticker "badges" these are sold with.
20211219_073013.jpg

Yesterday I was at the Musuc Store and I was playing with one of these and a NOB Ludwig side by side. I think maybe the spec for the edges and bed for the cheap steel drum may be taken off of the Ludwig, even tapping the shells they sound similar. The brass is a small bit higher pitched but the timbre is almost exactly the same. I guess I don't know what I don't know, but I fully endorse these cheap steel generics (I have two.) When I got home I switched out the Diplomat batter, tuned high, I had on one (for brushes,) and put a P3 with Control dot coated and tensioned it only to a point where the rim shot begins to activate the whole. This thing can do anything. One of these weeks I will have practiced enough that I can make a proper demo for you all.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of an 8x16 fiberglass. If it's too uncomfortable to play I'll just sample the heck out of it.