header.nohb.html

DFO's All Time Best Score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably best was a set of like new vintage blue label medium heavy Paiste (602?) hats used from a nearby GC. "How much?" "$50." "For one?" "For both." "Please wrap them up!" Re-sold for WELL more!

A "DW" kit on Clist on a business trip. 8/10/14 with 5x13 snare and 14x18 bass, some cymbals and stands. I reached out a few times but no answer and I was leaving town to come home. There was only one picture and of course a "DW" set on Craigslist is likely a PDP. I asked for more photos and the guy responded late in the afternoon because he was working as a jail guard until 6 pm. Unfortunately, he also posted those pictures in the ad. By that time I driven an hour towards home but flipped back as he had two other guys interested. I met him in the parking lot of some random restaurant in the middle of nowhere off the fwy. As soon as I saw them, they were legit DW pre collector series drums in TW yellow! I had the asking price of $600 on me and ask him to do it for 500. He politely said no. I said well then you'll have to help me lift them into my car and he and his son gladly obliged. I ended up selling the snare, the A custom ride, and some junkie Pearl hats, to get my money back. I traded the 8 and 10 shells for a 6.5 in Black Beauty. I ended up selling the 10x14 "FT" shell for a 12x14 and picked up an 8x12 shell, and used the old hardware.

Now I have an incredible Bop kit that I have played large outdoor gigs with because the bass also had a built-in May mike! And it cost me literally nothing!

Coolvan

Reaction score
I don’t have anything too exciting. I bought this Gretsch maple snare in an Austin pawnshop for $75 back in 2008. The lightning throw off was broken so I replaced it with the DW mag throw off and three position butt. Little did I know that DW was going to buy Gretsch a few years later ha ha. Anyway I was on a gig a couple years ago and a drummer came up to me and offered me $250 on the spot for the snare. Around 2015 I was up in Oklahoma City and while my wife was at her work conference I started prowling around pawn shops and places looking for used instrument deals and I found this 1960s vintage Paiste 602 Ride. It was in perfect condition although it has either been played or stored for years in a really smoky place that had left lots of nasty crap on the cymbal. so I cleaned it up and it’s been my daily ride ever since. I paid the guy $185 for
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

tnsquint1

Reaction score
A 1965 Jazz Festival a friend gave me for free. Immaculate condition except the green sparkle had been left in a window so one panel was pale yellow. It’s now sky blue Pearl.

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been fairly fortunate finding treasures at a next to nothing price tag.
A few of mine are;
66 Slingerland 20,12,14 with matching snare in sparkling pink pearl-$125
64 Slingerland same sizes in wmp-$150
Late 20’s Ludwig 5x14 nickle over brass two piece shell ten lug, pretty excellent condition-$65
My current kit, mid 60’s Gretsch round badge, 20, 12, 14 with Dixieland snare-$124
Had to rewrap the Gretsch kit and sold the floor tom that came with it to pay for the new 14” but I have about $100 in it to get it where it is.
All the other stuff I sold off when times were tough.
I guess I’m fortunate that I had the good stuff to sell!

pozz

Reaction score
Probably best was a set of like new vintage blue label medium heavy Paiste (602?) hats used from a nearby GC. "How much?" "$50." "For one?" "For both." "Please wrap them up!" Re-sold for WELL more!

A "DW" kit on Clist on a business trip. 8/10/14 with 5x13 snare and 14x18 bass, some cymbals and stands. I reached out a few times but no answer and I was leaving town to come home. There was only one picture and of course a "DW" set on Craigslist is likely a PDP. I asked for more photos and the guy responded late in the afternoon because he was working as a jail guard until 6 pm. Unfortunately, he also posted those pictures in the ad. By that time I driven an hour towards home but flipped back as he had two other guys interested. I met him in the parking lot of some random restaurant in the middle of nowhere off the fwy. As soon as I saw them, they were legit DW pre collector series drums in TW yellow! I had the asking price of $600 on me and ask him to do it for 500. He politely said no. I said well then you'll have to help me lift them into my car and he and his son gladly obliged. I ended up selling the snare, the A custom ride, and some junkie Pearl hats, to get my money back. I traded the 8 and 10 shells for a 6.5 in Black Beauty. I ended up selling the 10x14 "FT" shell for a 12x14 and picked up an 8x12 shell, and used the old hardware.

Now I have an incredible Bop kit that I have played large outdoor gigs with because the bass also had a built-in May mike! And it cost me literally nothing!

pozz

Reaction score
Mint condition 90s 5x14 Ludwig Hammered Bronze SD for $150

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I believe it was here (might have been DCI...don't think it was Cymbalholic...maybe...) there was a guy who went by "KZildjian".
One weekend the guy down the street from him was having a garage sale.
K didn't think too much of it, but as he was driving past, noticed a set of drums in the back.
He wasn't going to bother, but curiosity got the best of him i guess and he went to check it out, only to find the sale was over and the home owner was hauling whatever was left to the dump.
He spotted the drums in the back of the truck and asked the owner if he'd still sell them to him.
Turned out to be a set of 1930's Radio King's....got'em for a buck.

Last edited:

rglassma

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear from DFO folks who think they may have gotten the all time best score. Maybe you traded a MacBook for a Gretsch Birdland kit, or maybe you bought a storage unit sight unseen and there was an immaculate top-hat-and-cane kit inside, haha.

Let's hear your top score if you think it could possibly rank as the best of all time on the forum!
I've been very lucky with this. I purchased two Brady snare drums. One is a six and a half inch Stave for 450 bucks. The other is a 5 and 1/2 ply for 400 bucks. I've also purchased a craviotto diamond series 5 and 1/2 brand new condition for 400 bucks. I also purchased a Longo cherry single ply for 500. That's just the beginning if you want to hear more.

pete_walby

Reaction score
On the lives of my children I swear that every word of what I'm about to write is true.

When I got back into playing after a looong hiatus I looked on Craigslist for a used kit. Wife said "buy some drums!" I said "Honey, I don't think you fully appreciate what that means." She said "Go see what you can find."

I came across a listing that displayed just two drums, both FTs, in an out-of-focus shot. Listing said "old drum kit. B.O.". I hemmed and hawed for about a week and finally messaged. Guy wrote back with his number. Said, "old kit been in family for a while. Son played it when he was younger but switched to trumpet years ago. really just trying to get rid of it. C'mon by." I went with $300 cash and moderate to low expectations. When I arrived I found one complete Rogers Holiday 22/12/16 BDP with Cleveland tags. the 12 and 22 had been covered with contact paper inside and out but the 16 was fine. Couple extra holes in the BD. All were dusty and slightly nicked up. This was a player grade kit but fine by me. There was also BDP 16 Keystone Ludwig (white interior, red felt bat mute) VG+ and a matching 12. There were also two snares in dirty canvas bags. The first was a 5 line dyna. The second was a 7 line. Both immaculate with original heads. There were also 2 sets of very light 14 A zildjian hats. a very weird and very heavy Sabian 14 single hat, an 18 and a 20 A zil; all obviously contemporary to the drums so, early-mid 60s. There was also a stack of hardware: a speed king pedal and matching HH stand, two flat bottom ludwig cymbal stands, a rogers swivo pedal, a NIB vintage ludwig consolette mount still wrapped in paper, several large plastic bags of various parts and "Oh, a full set of "new" (probably 80s) A zildjian cymabls (14, 16MC, 22MR(rivetted) and 22MR if you want them." I was shaking and having a hard time taking it all in which the dad must have interpreted as hesitation. I finally said almost unconsciously "I only have three hundred dollars." in disbelief and disappointment, when to my surprise he said "I really just want it all out of here. I'll take it." I was in shock. It took three trips to the Jeep to get everything in and I drove away in even greater disbelief. This was one of those once-in-a-lifetime scores. I stayed up all night just looking at this haul unable to take it in. This trove had been sitting on craigslist for at least a week with NO calls and I paid $300 for all of it.

I listed the 5 line on ebay a couple weeks later and, oddly enough, ended up selling it to Paul Garisto...for $300. Which I felt was kharmic justice. We conducted the transaction in person at a sandwich shop in DC. It didn't even dawn on me who I was meeting with until I asked him completely innocently "so, do you play with any bands in the area?" He was super cool and we laughed about it. I told him this story and he was blown away. He even emailed me a couple weeks later with pics of several of his own vintage Rogers kits and offered to get together to help me swap out the heads and tune up the kit. I sheepishly - and stupidly - never took him up on it. Very cool dude.

I stlll have the kit, all the cymbals and the two flat base luddy stands. I sold the Luddy 16 to a guy in Norway and traded the Luddy 12 for an NOS clockface throw I needed for a Holiday snare rebuild project. The consolette went for a couple hundred bucks (to my immense surprise) on ebay. In the end I got TWO great stories and actually ended up making money on this once-in-a-lifetime find. The Drum Gods smiled on me.