DiCenso? Holy Cow!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
How come nobody ever sat me down and made me check out this DiCenso guy before?
I mean, MY GAWD, he's like all my favorite drummers rolled into one.
It's been a total revelation watching these clips over the past couple days and I'm just getting started on this guy, wow.

From the 90s:

The 2000s:

Currently:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw DiCenso at the CT. Drum Show three years back. I had no idea who he was, I don’t think a lot of people did because Rich Smith treated his intro like a biography but we sure knew who he was by the time he finished.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Thing is, he's obviously got the incredible speed & fluidity thing , but then there's the masterful dynamics and musical taste in every nuance of his playing now.
Mind warping.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Interesting thing is that his playing and breaks flow together. Very fresh ideas to me. I got to get that double foot thing down though. I like his technique. The sticking on the 6 stroke paradiddle thing is a lot like something that I have used in triplets made into sixteenth notes. Awesome guy. Ace

Burrish

Reaction score
The solo at 37:50 of that Drumeo vid is one of my favorite solos of all time and is utterly stellar. If you have six minutes, you owe it to yourself to watch.

In my eyes, Dave is *the* post-Weckl/Gadd player and is one of the only guys who truly did his own thing with those influences; you see the references, but it's only ever a hint and never a copy.

He has amazing chops/stickings, yes, but its integration into what he's doing musically is unparalleled. His early background is in heavy music, and I like that you're basically seeing the ultimate amalgam of Metal/Rock/Backbeat/Fusion. Yeah, this is utterly subjective, but in terms of free-form soloing, I'm trying to think of someone better. My favorite player of the last 15-20 and, to me, the ultimate drummer's drummer.

Just listen to how musically these chops are integrated into what he's doing, here....lots of backbeat/feel with explosions that absolutely make sense with what's happening....no one else plays like him....

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolute monster player! I've had the pleasure of seeing him three times over the years and it's something to behold. Incredibly studious as well...never rests on his laurels.

Burrish

Reaction score
Absolute monster player! I've had the pleasure of seeing him three times over the years and it's something to behold. Incredibly studious as well...never rests on his laurels.
I'm jealous of you folks in the NE who get to see him play, regularly. I'm in SoCal and we obviously get to see many greats (though we just lost Weckl to St Louis), but DiCenso is the one guy I want to see in person. Thank goodness for cell phone vids and the internet!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How come nobody ever sat me down and made me check out this DiCenso guy before?
I mean, MY GAWD, he's like all my favorite drummers rolled into one.
It's been a total revelation watching these clips over the past couple days and I'm just getting started on this guy, wow.

From the 90s:

The 2000s:

Currently:

Been watching that 1st video for over a decade.
Gotta love the "HERE WE GO!" @ about 8:52.
Did you notice that Mike Mangini is in the crowd and looks pretty impressed @ about 9:05?

dyland

Reaction score
Easily one of the most musical drummers I've ever heard. All hail the 2006 MD Fest solo.

Mn02

Reaction score
He comes from a strong drumming legacy. I had the opportunity to take some lessons from his father, Dick, before he passed and it totally changed my grip and approach.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
He comes from a strong drumming legacy. I had the opportunity to take some lessons from his father, Dick, before he passed and it totally changed my grip and approach.
Dick was such a great guy. I spent a lot of time at their Quincy location hanging out and that’s where I would by all my sticks and heads from. He was always there to say hello.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Thanks for posting OP.

I must be living under a rock as suggested in the Nate Smith thread as I have never seen or heard of this guy, I'm highly embarrassed to say. WOW, mind boggling feel, chops, power and speed, especially at the end of the first video at the top from the nineties where Mike Mangini can't believe what he's witnessing either.

Watching that and then a bit of the later videos he seems to have developed a bit of an unusual upper body motion while playing (not criticising it as it still works just as unbelievably). Has he had an accident or injury of some sort or is that how he plays?