Did any jazz legends play Giant Beats or 2002's?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not a jazz legend, but......

The reintroduction of Giant Beat cymbals signified a wider trend among Paiste users. Far from being superseded by the company's more contemporary cymbal ranges, the 2002 series is more popular than ever. Paiste has responded by making 2002 cymbals a core series again and actually dropping its acclaimed Dimensions series. An expanded 2002 range incorporates the more popular and innovative Dimensions models.

With the enduring 2002 line as resurgent as rock itself is, Paiste has quite rightly reasoned that the pioneering Giant Beat cymbals would be quite at home within the current musical landscape.

Paiste's greatest endorsee is the mighty John Bonham and, 25 years after his untimely death, his association with Paiste is stronger than ever. This is hardly surprising; his influence on drumming grows as each new generation of drummers discovers his mastery. Despite huge advances in gear choices and recording technology, Bonzo's sound and beats still reign supreme.

One of Bonzo's most admirable traits was that he did what he did with the minimum of gear. Yes, he used big drums, but despite Led Zeppelin's enormous success he was never tempted to stray far from his five-piece set-up. A similar economy informed his choice of cymbals and up until the introduction of Paiste's 2002 cymbals in 1971, Bonham used - you've probably guessed - Giant Beats.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ive always felt Jack was playing a paiste 2002 flat on this album.

Maybe it a sound creation flat or a 602 flat

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I remember watching the KOOL Jaz Fest on tv back in the 90's and was floored when the drummer of a featured band was using a Paiste RUDE crash ride for his ride cymbal.
Sounded fantastic, but I couldn't believe this guy was using a Rude. :eek:
Now that I think about it, it might have been Brian Blade, because Joshua Redman was a featured player on the show.
His Moodswing album was fairly new at the time.

Reaction score
Elvis,

Ronnie Burrage used to do that, I don't know if Ronnie used 2002's or not, but he had the balls to. I don't think of him (or many of these named drummers) as "legends," but Ronnie sure could play his ass off. I hope he's doing well, he went through a rough patch a while back.

And while I don't think that I could ever use a 2002 on a jazz gig with a clear concience, the Giant Beats could definitely cut a jazz gig. They are fantastic, versatile, and underrated musical instruments.

I think Alphonse Mouzon used some 2002's too.

What is the point to this question?
MSG

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
http://www.cruiseshipdrummer.com/2014/11/things-i-learned-at-billy-mintz-concert.html

"Billy had a funny cymbal set up with two 70s-vintage Paiste 2002 20" sizzle cymbals— maybe one was a ride and the other a “medium”, a crash-ride. I thought he picked them out of Revival's stock, but they were his. They're not light cymbals, and the sound is a little different than you normally hear in a jazz context, but they had a nice tonal thing going on between them. "

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Danny Brubeck and Michael Di Pasqua....
Ahh DiPasqua! Great drummer. When I saw him he used what i thought was a smaller flat ride (18” or maybe even 16”) and I thought a K ride. I was not close enough to really see them though.
i used a 22” 2002 crash for awhile as a ride. And i had two flat rides both of which are gone now(sadly). One was 20” and the other 18”. Im not a legend except In my own mind..

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a player of and fan of Paiste's B8, I'm confident these cymbals are more versatile than many give them credit for. With the dry Big Beats in existence now, even more so!

If this thread turns into a thread about how 2002's don't for work jazz or how they do, that's fine, but I really want to know if there were any drummers from the late 60's to today that preferred the sound of B8. I'd like to see how it recorded.
I remember running into Danny Gotlieb on a tv show and he had a case full of Paiste cymbals of all kinds. I then listened to offramp by Pat Metheney and the cymbal sounds on that album are exquisite.

SKINZ

Reaction score
I remember watching the KOOL Jaz Fest on tv back in the 90's and was floored when the drummer of a featured band was using a Paiste RUDE crash ride for his ride cymbal.
Sounded fantastic, but I couldn't believe this guy was using a Rude. :eek:
Now that I think about it, it might have been Brian Blade, because Joshua Redman was a featured player on the show.
His Moodswing album was fairly new at the time.

Ronald Shannon Jackson had a 22 RUDE RIDE

I use my 22 RUDE RIDE CRASH as a jazz ride along with 22 SOUND CREATIONS NEW DIMENSIONS DARK MEDIUM RIDE plus 18 2002 MED WITH 4 RIVETS AND ITs MATE A 18 SOUND CREATION DARK CRASH........ :headbang: :glasses1:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those Paiste setup books are awesome. But I think they are full of "artistic license". Pretty much every drummer is in them, including ones that I seriously doubt actually used Paistes other than fooling around once or twice.
Love the Paiste and Z setup guides and had them both (still have the Zildjian), but there were drummers that in fact played both at the time or had recently switched brands.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
THere's a Picture of Shelly Manne with a 2oo2 Flat..

back of this Album..

Actually it's not a Flat looks like a Regular ride:
double-click->

or pic smaller version- It's a Great album had it when it came out 1977

Don't know if it's on the album or not doesn't matter/ great/good/ album/if you want a good Shelly album

they're out there;

Last edited:

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those Paiste setup books are awesome. But I think they are full of "artistic license". Pretty much every drummer is in them, including ones that I seriously doubt actually used Paistes other than fooling around once or twice.

As for jazz players, a great local player here named Jimmy Robinson used a 2002 flat for many years. That's the only 2002 that I would consider a worthy jazz cymbal.
I asked Dave Mattacks how long he was with P..as he is in a Profiles book..and he said.....6 mths!

Rick

Reaction score
Here's one of my all-time favorite drummers, Joel Rosenblatt, playing some Paiste's. As far as I know, Joel's always played Zildjian so I'm assuming these were rental drums/cymbals on the gig. Notice he's got a piece of tape on the bottom of the ride cymbal. Anyway, they sound pretty good here... and of course the musical performance is astounding!

On a side note: Joel got this gig playing with Michel Camillo when Dave Weckl (Joel's former college roommate) left Michel to go play with Chick Corea. Dave recommended Joel for the gig, and the rest is history...

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Last year I stumbled across a 20" 505 Ride and some 13" 505 Hats, a PAISTE series I did not pay attention before. Got them with some hardware parts and was very surprised by their versatility, concerning these were mid-range cymbals when new and a class below the 2002s. If you like some B8-sound for jazz, give them a try. They are less bright than the 2002s in my opinion. Still underrated at least in Germany where you can find them for about 50-100 Euro in good condition.

Reactions: JDA

toddbishop

Reaction score
Billy Mintz, one of my favorite drummers plays two 2002 rides and he sounds amazing with them.

Yes! He was playing these last time I saw him in Portland-- two 22s. It's not like it's a great sound, but it really didn't matter either. A little like using fiberglass drums, or Pinstripes-- it's a particular, kind of dated sound. He played them great. Him + John Gross playing a Strayhorn ballad is the heaviest thing in the world.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Ronnie Burrage used to do that, I don't know if Ronnie used 2002's or not, but he had the balls to. I don't think of him (or many of these named drummers) as "legends," but Ronnie sure could play his ass off.
Spot on - youtube just suggested me this video (scroll to 1.05):