Did anyone catch the SNL musical guest last week

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To paraphrase a recent popular sentiment, the young woman should create an account and reply with, “I’m on SNL and you’re not." But she's probably not built that way.

Core Creek

Reaction score
This thread shows there are two types of music consumers. Fans of music and those who enjoy the nostalgia evoked by songs they heard in their youth!
These two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I am definitely a fan of nostalgia, but can appreciate new music.

I thought the SNL performance started out great but I had to fast forward a little because it didn’t feel like it was going anywhere. I liked when the drums kicked in. But the end felt a little canned..... (planned?). I instantly recognized the Danelecteo for the crap it was and heard about the smashing guitar.... it just felt like a stupid stunt meant to get views. That entire thrash ending just felt like it crossed one too many genres... for my tastes anyway.

But opinions are like ears.... everyone usually has one (or two)....

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This thread is timely. I got banned from WXPN's Facebook page for going on in great detail about how crappy and devoid of talent Phoebe Bridgers is and why they are further contributing to the decline of western civilization by playing her vapid, insipid pablum.

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never liked the antics crap. I didn't like Jimi Hendrix setting his guitar on fire, I didn't like Pete Townshend smashing nice guitars, I didn't like Neil Smith pushing his whole kit off the drum riser. It always seemed stupid to me even when I was ten years old. What a waste of a fine instrument. I couldn't get through the video. Seems like it goes nowhere and just gets louder and turns into noise. I guess one mans noise is another mans music and vice versa. She is pretty.

J.D.hughes

Reaction score
Grouchy old men. She's great. Her albums are super cool sonically and she has some good songs. I thought the performance on SNL was excellent and her band was VERY good.
Calling people grouchy old men because they don't like some singer with totally forgettable songs is a bit much. people have been trying to make her a thing for a few years and I just do not get it. There are plenty of great younger songwriters out there. PB isn't one of them in my opinion and the fake guitar smashing thing was really desperate looking and just makes me like her less. I have heard all of her records hoping to find a great song and there just are not any. Totally mediocre on every level.

Jonnymac

Reaction score
Haven't seen the other performance

Although it's been a dream of mine (or have friend) to show up at a jazz club on open stage night to play some real book tunes with a BC Rich Warlock (even better if it has the snake skin finish) and in full 80's metal regalia, leathers, studs and all.. Just to see the looks on people's faces. That'd be a moment worthy of filming for sure...

Unfortunately, I don't have the chops to pull this off correctly. If you do that sort of thing and play badly, then it isn't funny. You gotta rip mad Django/ Wes Montgomery/Charlie Christian licks for the joke to work.

So iI guess I understand where she's coming from with the Warlock thing. It isn't that much different than pretty much all the other indie acts sporting some awesomely crappy bizzaro guitars from the 60's and 70's such as Harmonys, Silvertones, Kays etc etc. Just from a different decade.
It would be plenty funny if you totally hosed the music

RettaW75

Reaction score
I just snapped this up last weekend. It's a low end one, but it still sounds pretty good. I mostly got it cuz I love BC Rich's and I love the shape :) And it was cheap enough ;)

145306445_3735196326568099_2060879860875077859_o.jpg

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I watched the two SNL songs. BC Rich guitar, fake guitar smash, and black metal-ish font on the bass drum head. They seem like they have a sense of humor and would be rad to hang out with.

Musically... I just got half way through the Punisher album... this is painfully boring, depressive and tiring.

Skeet6

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's obvious when someone is trying too hard to be cool/hip/edgy. This was too contrived to be anything other than sophomoric. Sorry.
Mike B

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's obvious when someone is trying too hard to be cool/hip/edgy. This was too contrived to be anything other than sophomoric. Sorry.
Mike B
Agree. And smashing a guitar when you can barely lift it to begin with....it's just lame and reminds me of a two year old who is threatening to beat you up unless you take him for ice creme.