header.nohb.html

Did anyone out there snag an old stamp 22” on reverb on Friday or Saturday?

slcdrummer

Reaction score
Friends, I almost had the opportunity to buy an immaculate old stamp (iiia I believe) 22” K through a friend of a friend. I was not involved in the communication with the seller-my friend and I believed that we had a deal but the seller ended up putting in on Reverb and getting a higher price for it. I can’t blame him, it was his cymbal to sell how he please.

I’m curious if it might have gone to a DFO member. I have pics that I could confirm with. I mostly want to know, how is it? Is it a good weight? And if you don’t like it maybe I can take one more shot at buying it! Thank you to anyone who read my sob-story and cheers!!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(no not I) was it this one I peruse those listings once a day maybe..

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
but the seller ended up putting in on Reverb and getting a higher price for it.
That selling price of 2 grand for a 21 in that shape and weight range is not unreasonable. The only way I found to grab one of these is to have the bread ready and just pay the asking price if it's not completely out of line. Trying to save a few bucks on these particular rides doesn't really work. Grab it when you have a chance, you'll always get your money back if you sell it later.

trashman

Reaction score
Really nice weight for that diameter. For that particular vintage, there's pretty much no way that one's a 'dog'.
Sorry you missed out on it. Sinclair's right; having the liquid dough ready to hand over to The Piper when a nice one comes-up for sale is the best way to secure it.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
The other day I was discussing that cymbal with one of our other members who was also disappointed that they missed it. Scarce type 3a.

There was also a pretty cool Old Stamp type 1 - 18" that went in the $1000+ plus range this past weekend. Numerous rivet holes. Large key hole too. Didn't matter much.
I now routinely check the sold Zildjians on Reverb just to keep track of what cool A's and K's slip under the radar. The good stuff goes fast and most never even realize they were ever there.

There was a nice looking 22" 1st gen EAK up on Reverb for $307 + $66 shipping. Good price for someone looking for one. Well that had 3 offers on it in the first
couple of hours and it must have "spooked" the seller. They then ended the listing....and upped it to $549....where it now sits. So the same logic works here.
If you really want it....just pay the original asking price before you no longer have that opportunity.

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really nice weight for that diameter. For that particular vintage, there's pretty much no way that one's a 'dog'.
Sorry you missed out on it. Sinclair's right; having the liquid dough ready to hand over to The Piper when a nice one comes-up for sale is the best way to secure it.
The one and only time I was able to purchase a stunning 22 Old Stamp was by a complete fluke. I had just deposited tour money in my account literally the day before, and out of thin air was contacted by the reputable seller in London. I didn't quibble or negotiate the price for a second. "Yes absolutely, I'll take it thanks very much." Thinking when would I ever get another change. After we agreed he sent me a picture. I enjoyed it for two years before I passed it along. Of course I got all the money back.
Better luck next time.

slcdrummer

Reaction score
Yes I agree the asking price is pretty reasonable! I won’t bore you all with the details but the cymbal wasn’t even on reverb at the time I thought we had made a deal—it was supposed to be a direct sale through a third party but it fell through. No hard feelings towards the seller, I get his position. I believed there was a deal and was ready to PayPal but never got the go ahead. Could have been some miscommunication.

In my desperation I thought whoever bought it may be on the forum and I could take another run at it.

Last edited:

slcdrummer

Reaction score
The other day I was discussing that cymbal with one of our other members who was also disappointed that they missed it. Scarce type 3a.
And they found out who the buyer was......as it's a pretty small world for the buyers of top old stamp K rides.

There was also a pretty cool Old Stamp type 1 - 18" that went in the $1000+ plus range this past weekend. Numerous rivet holes. Large key hole too. Didn't matter much.
I now routinely check the sold Zildjians on Reverb just to keep track of what cool A's and K's slip under the radar. The good stuff goes fast and most never even realize they were ever there.

There was a nice looking 22" 1st gen EAK up on Reverb for $307 + $66 shipping. Good price for someone looking for one. Well that had 3 offers on it in the first
couple of hours and it must have "spooked" the seller. They then ended the listing....and upped it to $549....where it now sits. So the same logic works here.
If you really want it....just pay the original asking price before you no longer have that opportunity.
Thank you for this comment! I was thinking the buyer may have some connection to DFO.

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably wasn’t even on Reverb for an hour before it sold. I would have snagged it if I’d seen it, but it never appeared on my feed. I feel your pain.

slcdrummer

Reaction score
It probably wasn’t even on Reverb for an hour before it sold. I would have snagged it if I’d seen it, but it never appeared on my feed. I feel your pain.
34 views… yeah I was told it went up and sold almost immediately

slcdrummer

Reaction score
I appreciate your solidarity!!

BenjiDrums

Reaction score
Are there any stores that keep / sell vintage K?

I’d love to buy one but I would never shed that kind of money without at least trying the thing

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are there any stores that keep / sell vintage K?

I’d love to buy one but I would never shed that kind of money without at least trying the thing
Maxwell’s in NYC had a few last time I was in there

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
... as it's a pretty small world for the buyers of top old stamp K rides. ...
Yessiree.
Yeah man, it was a pretty cool OS T1 18" (is pretty cool). Nice low, wide bell. Screams mellowness. Mine usually have the tall bell, which is sweet in of itself.
... and most never even realize they were ever there. ...
Yup.
Sage advice. Sage, indeed.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don’t throw any French fries at me but what’s so special about old stamp k’s. Are they super rare? Do they sound “better” than say intermediate stamp k’s?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don’t throw any French fries at me but what’s so special about old stamp k’s. Are they super rare? Do they sound “better” than say intermediate stamp k’s?
Pitchfork, please. ;)

Old Stamps have a different construct than Intermediates. Different hammering, different bell shapes, different alloy (?), different smiths (?), etc. They sound quite a bit different. And yes, rare.