Did I overpay like crazy for my 68' Ludwig?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I went to a "special" place in LA and was looking for an old Ludwig kit.
I looked online like crazy and most of what i saw was kinda beat up and kits with some minor problems and thought "Ok,I'll try out this one place".
I got there and I tried out a kit that they were willing to sell me,it had been on a bunch of sessions and was "hot-rodded" to be recording ready basically.
The guy is known so I won't mention names but I paid freaking $2700 for a 3-piece Ludwig Super Classic 12x9 16x16 22x14 Blue Sparkle. It's been around and has some scuffs and some road rash,I saw other kits online for around $1600-$1900.
He assured me it was worth like $3000 easy, so my question is.... Did...I.. get....mega...screwed?
The kit sounds amazing but I am having second thoughts after seeing that I could almost get 2 kits for that price.

I am justifying buying it by saying that the edges are perfect and they sound great and the rash gives it a cool vibe.
Please help sooth my drummer soul...

Attachments

Reddy

Reaction score
I went to a "special" place in LA and was looking for an old Ludwig kit.
I looked online like crazy and most of what i saw was kinda beat up and kits with some minor problems and thought "Ok,I'll try out this one place".
I got there and I tried out a kit that they were willing to sell me,it had been on a bunch of sessions and was "hot-rodded" to be recording ready basically.
The guy is known so I won't mention names but I paid freaking $2700 for a 3-piece Ludwig Super Classic 12x9 16x16 22x14 Blue Sparkle. It's been around and has some scuffs and some road rash,I saw other kits online for around $1600-$1900.
He assured me it was worth like $3000 easy, so my question is.... Did...I.. get....mega...screwed?
The kit sounds amazing but I am having second thoughts after seeing that I could almost get 2 kits for that price.

I am justifying buying it by saying that the edges are perfect and they sound great and the rash gives it a cool vibe.
Please help sooth my drummer soul...
Currently at Music Go Round
BFCE99B4-89B3-4394-903D-CB5C0830ED83.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no Ludwig guru, but I thought 13/16/22 are the super classics. I think $3K is very high. I'd think half of that if very good condition. I have an excellent lightly creamy WMP super kit that I would be stoked was worth close to $2K....maybe I should sell it to that guy to flip at a crazy price! And I think the downbeat is 12/14/20.....

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
sorry but yes you overpaid. i don't understand the outcome as you evidently did your homework and saw other prices below 1900?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a collectors grade kit, and you paid a collectors grade price for them. Actually, even if that kit was perfect, blue sparkle doesn't command that kind of money, let alone 3 grand. With the modifications and missing some of the original claws, and that's just what I can see from a quick look, you wouldn't come close to getting that much if you were to try to sell them. On the plus side, it sounds like you really like the way they sound. Since they aren't a collectors kit you can take them out and gig with them without worry.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I am sorry to echo the folks around here and say....ya got reamed. The only consolations would be that the "studio re-edging" does make 'em sound great, but re-edging lowers the collectibility resale value. The other possible consolation is that you LOVE the sound of 'em. That can be all that matters.

But around here you could get a rather minty version of what you've got for around $1500, usually from a trusted seller.

Skeet6

Reaction score
Is there any way you can return it? I don't want to "pile on" here, but it seems to me you paid almost twice the going rate for a non-collector grade kit. Search eBay for "completed items" to see what kits are actually selling for (not asking prices).
Mike B

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give them back and offer to let him keep 10% as a restocking charge. It’s bogus to give him the money, but it might be your only way out if it and you’ll still come out ahead on the deal.

I think I know who you bought them from and it wasn’t Pro Drum in Hollywood. I’d try to get out of the deal ASAP and start over. Good luck.

plumbndrum

Reaction score
Looks like a Radio King snare (with replacement strainer) in the pics. Did that come with it?

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I paid $2300.00 with shipping included, 20,12,14,16,matching snare. 100% original (besides heads). Blue sparkle is like grass, it’s everywhere! What in the world were you thinking. Sorry to be rude, but what in the world were you thinking?

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow!
Drum Doctors?
I remember reading an article about them in MD back in the 80s describing all they did to make vintage drums "studio ready". At the time it seemed to be no big deal but from today's perspective it seems like savage butchery (similar to east coast drums that are "Nodarized").

This fits with one thing they said they'd do, add a Ludwig center post mount (no matter the brand of the kit) and Ludwig brackets on all toms (not necessary on Ludwigs of course).

Around these parts (midwest) with those mods in that color that would be an $800* set. I'd guess west coast prices to be higher but not that much higher. One mitigating factor might be if you could say, and had documentation, that these drums were used on some famous album or are seen in The Buddy Holly Story or something like that...but even then...

Just my opinion.

*5years ago I bought a blue sparkle KB Super Classic with Zildjian cymbals and matching Jazz Festival snare in near mint original condition (had been in a closet for decades) for $900. That was an exceptional deal but I'd say $1800-2000 would be tops for even that set.

Last edited:

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I know who you bought them from as well. My only consolation for spending that kind of money on these specific drums is if there’s some REALLY COOL documentation of the recordings these drums are on.
If that’s your thing, then maybe the price is right. Otherwise, take them back if you can.

10 Lug

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do whatever you can to return them. Or try for a refund.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I came this close yesterday to buying a 2012 Lexus IS 250 with 64 000 kliks for $ 16 grand . I took a deep breath, and stepped back from the precipice in my mind that is responsible for this kind of decision , woke up today and decided life is tolerable without it ( the car ).

Please believe me,in my life it hasn't always been this way. I can identify with your ambivalence . Some pay huge amounts to obtain a college business degree - you've spent far less for the same lesson , plus now you're the proud owner of a kit whose sound you're really really satisfied with .

Money's like manure - it won't work unless you spread it around .

Ya live ya learn , I still am ...

Hopefully .

Last edited: