Did I overpay like crazy for my 68' Ludwig?

m_anderson

Reaction score
I hope the seller works something out with you, but in the end, don't sweat it. I have overpaid on occasion, as well as most everyone else. Buyer's remorse fades away and in the end all is good. Hopefully you will be really happy with the kit. Looks nice.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For all of you suggesting he take them back or renegotiate , If he takes them back or refunds part of your $ he is in effect admitting he
ripped you off .
Y’all realize this right ?
Not necessarily. From what I’ve read, the OP paid a big premium for something he wasn’t looking for and doesn’t really want - a vintage kit modified by a pro to sound its best. That’s the value the seller puts on his expertise and services in the hands of the right drummer. If the OP explains that to the seller, and offers a reasonable restocking fee, it should work out for both.

PS: On the other hand, the OP may change his mind and decide that $2,700 is a reasonable price to pay for a kit that sounds great to his ears, or not. Either way, they should be able to work it out.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all of you suggesting he take them back or renegotiate , If he takes them back or refunds part of your $ he is in effect admitting he
ripped you off .
Y’all realize this right ?
Not at all. Lots of people buy things without thinking through clearly. A few hours or days or weeks later they get buyer's remorse. In some cases, they get input from others who suggest to them they paid way too much. Returning the kit only means that the buyer and some people here disagree with the kit's stated purchase price. Another person could show up tomorrow at that store and be willing to pay that same price or more for the same kit. There are no absolutes. Trading in the kit towards something else more collector correct and "less hot rodded" might work too.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I went to a "special" place in LA and was looking for an old Ludwig kit.
I looked online like crazy and most of what i saw was kinda beat up and kits with some minor problems and thought "Ok,I'll try out this one place".
I got there and I tried out a kit that they were willing to sell me,it had been on a bunch of sessions and was "hot-rodded" to be recording ready basically.
The guy is known so I won't mention names but I paid freaking $2700 for a 3-piece Ludwig Super Classic 12x9 16x16 22x14 Blue Sparkle. It's been around and has some scuffs and some road rash,I saw other kits online for around $1600-$1900.
He assured me it was worth like $3000 easy, so my question is.... Did...I.. get....mega...screwed?
The kit sounds amazing but I am having second thoughts after seeing that I could almost get 2 kits for that price.

I am justifying buying it by saying that the edges are perfect and they sound great and the rash gives it a cool vibe.
Please help sooth my drummer soul...
I dont have a price opinion but the number of replies in such a short time period I find amazing.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I am slowly coming to terms that this is great sounding kit. Sure I paid through my nose..but! He didn’t force me into anything, I made the call. Simple. I sold one of my other kits the day before and we all got our stimulus checks so more or less I paid about $1000. I am a collector so I guess I wanted my cake and eat it too, you either get a great sounding kit or a great looking one. I chose the first. Sure it’s been modified but I didn’t buy it to sell it, it’s a lifetime kit. Once this blows over and we can gig again I’m sure I’ll make it back over time. Like some of you are saying, the feeling of spending that amount will fade and I’ll be glad I still have it. Thank you all again!

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I am slowly coming to terms that this is great sounding kit. Sure I paid through my nose..but! He didn’t force me into anything, I made the call. Simple. I sold one of my other kits the day before and we all got our stimulus checks so more or less I paid about $1000. I am a collector so I guess I wanted my cake and eat it too, you either get a great sounding kit or a great looking one. I chose the first. Sure it’s been modified but I didn’t buy it to sell it, it’s a lifetime kit. Once this blows over and we can gig again I’m sure I’ll make it back over time. Like some of you are saying, the feeling of spending that amount will fade and I’ll be glad I still have it. Thank you all again!
I’ve paid too much for drums, and I’ve also sold some stuff for far less than it was worth. Enjoy the drums, and play them often. You never have to justify things like this to anyone - except maybe your wife, IF she finds out.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Let us know the final decision you've made with the drums;
Hell with it. I’m keeping her. I’ll be honest, the price did throw me off. Where I come from originally which is Sweden they go for a lot more and that’s without knowing what you’re getting. In this case I heard them, loved them,but freaked about the price because I told an old drum teacher that I got them who in turn got jealous because I got an LA studio kit and got in my head about the price. The sound is key in this case, for example an old violin can look like it’s not much but when you hear it you understand. I feel like I had a teenage meltdown or something. I’m honestly a little embarrassed I started this thread. :)

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hell with it. I’m keeping her. I’ll be honest, the price did throw me off. Where I come from originally which is Sweden they go for a lot more and that’s without knowing what you’re getting. In this case I heard them, loved them,but freaked about the price because I told an old drum teacher that I got them who in turn got jealous because I got an LA studio kit and got in my head about the price. The sound is key in this case, for example an old violin can look like it’s not much but when you hear it you understand. I feel like I had a teenage meltdown or something. I’m honestly a little embarrassed I started this thread. :)
Relax,Brother!
Play On Drummer!

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a different take on this.

Do you want an original instrument, or an instrument that sounds amazing? They aren't necessarily the same.

If it doesn't sound good in the first place, why buy it? A lot of older kits didn't, because the factories didn't invest in good edges or verify the shells were round - because most of us then unaware of their importance to getting a great sound. Who in their right mind gives a hoot about owning any drum, let alone a vintage item, if it doesn't sound great, or you are able to make it do so? That's like marrying Pam Anderson and not having sex with her lest she develop wrinkles.

Why is it folks like Drum Doctors or Chris Heuer offer the services they do? Because they make drums sound vastly better.

What you might look as is what it would have cost you to get a kit to sound as good as this does on your own. Figure out the difference between that and what you might have paid on another kit and go from there.

In any event, you now have a superb sounding instrument. When it comes time to sell, mention that it was hot rodded by so and so; it may not fly with a collector, but it should to someone who cares about great sounding instruments.
I’ve been doing vintage drums for a while and these factory defects are far and few!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have overpaid for a drum I was looking for a loooong time! But I don’t care because now it has even more value to me (not to others) than what I paid.
I think if you look at it and say it is just another 60’s Ludwig kit then you will always remember you overpaid and you won’t enjoy.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

I'd say it's all a learning experience. I'd suggest in the future (Because vintage drums are like lays potato chips; you can't just have one) that you ask a few questions either here or on possibly one of the many facebook groups. There are TONS of guys that know a lot. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions. Good luck and have fun with those.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just answered post #23.... by that definition, you did NOT overpay! Enjoy for many years to come and congrats on the new addition to the collection!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the rare Crav I bought from after JC’s passing.

It wasn’t up to par building wise and paid more than this kit

I end up selling it at a big loss.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I went to a "special" place in LA and was looking for an old Ludwig kit.
I looked online like crazy and most of what i saw was kinda beat up and kits with some minor problems and thought "Ok,I'll try out this one place".
I got there and I tried out a kit that they were willing to sell me,it had been on a bunch of sessions and was "hot-rodded" to be recording ready basically.
The guy is known so I won't mention names but I paid freaking $2700 for a 3-piece Ludwig Super Classic 12x9 16x16 22x14 Blue Sparkle. It's been around and has some scuffs and some road rash,I saw other kits online for around $1600-$1900.
He assured me it was worth like $3000 easy, so my question is.... Did...I.. get....mega...screwed?
The kit sounds amazing but I am having second thoughts after seeing that I could almost get 2 kits for that price.

I am justifying buying it by saying that the edges are perfect and they sound great and the rash gives it a cool vibe.
Please help sooth my drummer soul...
Do they bring you joy? Do they inspire you to play? Did you likely pay to much relative to the market? Perhaps, but the joy you will reap over time will be worth it. I have owned most of the high end its(including Craviotto) and my 3 vintage Ludwig kits just feel right.

If you can take them back I have a 66 Blue Sparkle for $1600. Not an orphan kit, but original.