Did Ludwig Make 60s-70s Era Standard Drums in 20/14/12 Configuration?

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
I have been looking for some time for a vintage Ludwig Standard drum set in a 20/14/12 set up. In all the time I have been looking, I have never seen one, which got me to thinking. Did Ludwig even make the Standard line in a 20/14/12 set up?

Is this going to be my white whale? Should I just give up?

Leffler

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. They are a bit harder to find but not totally rare.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
12'' & 13'' rack toms. 14'' & 16'' floor toms. 20'' & 22'' basses. snares were 5'' wood and aluminum.

they also made a concert tom set with some small toms.

they offered many finishes, all unique to the standard line.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I THINK (in cases) I have 2. Red mist and blue mist. 20-12-14 each. Matching snare for one of them.

Leffler

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've found that they are somewhat common. None of the Standards are "common" in that sense, but they are not rare. The Standard S-340 "Single Six" (three concert toms on the bass) kit is what I would call rare. I've seen quite a few of the S-300 Compact (20,12,14f) kits available in the past few months. I'm a standard size kit player (22 bass), so I passed them without much attention. They are out there for sure ... lots of Standard finishes. Best of luck to you for this hunt.

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
I've found that they are somewhat common. None of the Standards are "common" in that sense, but they are not rare. The Standard S-340 "Single Six" (three concert toms on the bass) kit is what I would call rare. I've seen quite a few of the S-300 Compact (20,12,14f) kits available in the past few months. I'm a standard size kit player (22 bass), so I passed them without much attention. They are out there for sure ... lots of Standard finishes. Best of luck to you for this hunt.
Thank you very much. Any idea where I could look? I have tried Reverb, eBay, and Craigslist with no luck.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man, I'm so sorry. Again, I wasn't looking for those. I just kept seeing them come up.
Let me do a quick search and see if I can come across something for you.

EDIT:

I searched out all the usual haunts ... went through the US ones, Canada, and even the UK ... nothing. Nada. Nojoy. Unreal that there were none.

I found six Standard kits at CME ... all were 22 basses. Really odd.

Even Jollity was out of Standard kits. He had a Standard kit onsite for years ... overpriced. Evidently someone finally snagged it.

This has to be a timing issue. I would sit still and wait for this drought to pass. The kits are out there. Be patient and they will pop up.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Both of my standard sets are 12/14/20. Just lucky I guess.

Basically the same as a Downbeat outfit of Super Classics for (usually) a fair amount less dough. I suspect that many that have them (myself included) tend to want to keep them. Also probably not the most popular sizes at that precise moment in history so a bit more rare. The five piece was "king" from 1968 -1972 (ish) when these were being made. Figure a "pro" wanting these sizes was going to buy a Downbeat set, a kid wanting a set was going to want the five piece (12/13/16/22). The "compact" (even the name was a bit demeaning..."wouldn't you want to spend just a bit more for the big set sonny?") would be the choice of the desperate kid who could afford nothing more, or the parents shopping for the lowest price. Not all of them were sold like that, of course, but I bet they moved a lot more of the bigger sized sets.

I know my Lemon Strata set is definitely a "keeper"

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A sliver mist 20/12/14 w/ matching snare was under 1k shipped and sat on Reverb for months not that long ago.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Out of the thousands of drum kits I've owned and gotten rid of, I have but one regret.

My 12-14-20-5x14 GOLD ASTRO [I called it Gold Satin Flame] Ludwig Standard kit.
I can watch myself play it on a YouTube video of us on a beach. 20 years ago!!!

I want it back.

So Yes, they made them and they are out there somewhere...

Stretch

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Standard S-300 (Downbeat) kit about 20 years ago. It was a first-year kit that had white resacote interiors, not the granitone paint. What a great kit it was! Like so many of these drums wrapped in Blue Mist, they eventually fade to aquamarine and many times to green! My kit, while not very "blue", still looked good! The bass drum even had the original front head! I even tracked down all the stands to make it look original. The hi hat wasn't that good and I never bothered about getting the matching bass pedal, as the Speed King was much better! I miss that kit! I also wish I had LARGER pictures of the kit!!

Check out this link at vintagedrumguide.com... HERE

-Mark

Attachments

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
Lovely kits, guys! I thought I had seen an S-300 years ago, but I wasn’t sure. It’s nice to know they are out there.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What I've seen happening for a few years now, is that these vintage Standard kits and separate snare drums are being offered at prices higher than the Classic series of drums. Many don't sell for the asking price, but some, especially those with the more rare wraps, can command high prices!

-Mark

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
I’m willing to pay reasonable money, but I can’t even find these drums in the sizes I’m looking for. I will say, there are not a lot of Standards going for big money, regardless of finish.

Chicago Drum Exchange has had several for sale for months now, to give you some idea. Unfortunately, no 20/14/12 set ups.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right. I found six doggone kits at the Chicago Music Exchange online ... all 22 basses. They had prices you would expect. But none in the 20 bass group. I expanded my search a bit today to include the overseas market and hit a lot of walls. This is definitely odd, but it happens from time to time with all manner of drum search. You will see quite a few of the kit you're looking for and then months later when you're ready to buy ... nothing. No idea why it happens ... my guess is it has something to do with how popular kittens are in YouTube videos ... but I'm just spitballing here.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anybody ever seen an 18-12-14?
I don't think they made 18's on the late 60s early 70s runs. Not catalogued anyway. Did they add the 18 to the later Standards? That's an interesting question.

Latest posts