Did Ludwig Make 60s-70s Era Standard Drums in 20/14/12 Configuration?

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a 12 14 20 Standard kit outside of Indy - has wrap issues however.....

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a 12 14 20 Standard kit outside of Indy - has wrap issues however.....

Well, at least there is one out there!

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I traded a Keystone Supra - for a whole Standard kit.....which was really abused and needed a re-wrap. Extra holes total mess. BUT - real deal Standards. I found a 20in WFL shell and will be restoring the whole thing. I would suggest going the same route if you can. Might cost alot less, and surely will be easier to 'find'.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I traded a Keystone Supra - for a whole Standard kit.....which was really abused and needed a re-wrap. Extra holes total mess. BUT - real deal Standards. I found a 20in WFL shell and will be restoring the whole thing. I would suggest going the same route if you can. Might cost alot less, and surely will be easier to 'find'.
I wouldn’t be against it, but I’m wanting a strata wrap, which are basically impossible to find for a re-wrap. No places carry strata wraps any more, which is a bummer.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be against it, but I’m wanting a strata wrap, which are basically impossible to find for a re-wrap. No places carry strata wraps any more, which is a bummer.
Ludwig's doing some strata type wraps again so some of that may filter out to the aftermarket eventually, otherwise Bumwraps or wallopus might be able to come up with a close replication for you.

The original strata wraps were very thin and become brittle with age. They were the same sort of thin wrap being used on some import drums of the era and were apparently another cost saving measure to keep production costs down. With the side benefit that they were something unique on Amercan made drums and also looked mighty cool.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig's doing some strata type wraps again so some of that may filter out to the aftermarket eventually, otherwise Bumwraps or wallopus might be able to come up with a close replication for you.

The original strata wraps were very thin and become brittle with age. They were the same sort of thin wrap being used on some import drums of the era and were apparently another cost saving measure to keep production costs down. With the side benefit that they were something unique on Amercan made drums and also looked mighty cool.
Yeah, they definitely look great and are very unique.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What was this snare called and the dimensions?

14x4 downbeat size acrolite. john aldridge saw it and said he had seen another, but it was never cataloged. i never have seen or heard of another. i found it on ebay and paid a lot of money for it several years ago.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I first got online,I found a 20,12,14 for $100 or $150!...Think they were in Texas...Might have had Snare too,,but..too long ago to remember...

The very early Standards had white paint inside..just like Super Classics!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I first got online,I found a 20,12,14 for $100 or $150!...Think they were in Texas...Might have had Snare too,,but..too long ago to remember...

The very early Standards had white paint inside..just like Super Classics!
I passed up several super deals on Standards back in the day, including a double bass set in avocado strata for $150. At the time ( 1980s) I was under the impression that Standards were MIJ drums that Ludwig had imported and slapped their name on....DOH!

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Latest posts