Did Ludwig Standards ever have clear interiors?

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Nothing is impossible. Though they were never spec’d this way, that just means it’s medium-unlikely.
I've never seen them that way but I saw a set on craigslist with the bass drum reso head off and it was clear - I couldn't tell on the toms

digovii

Reaction score
Personally, I haven't seen one with clear interiors before but I am also not surprised. There are standards out there that were shipped with classic lugs instead of the cheaper ones so Im sure this was one of those instances where they probably just wanted to get it out the door.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
They look like they’re in pretty good shape. I’m waiting to hear back from the seller

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Standards started with the white "resocoat" interiors then transitioned to the "granitone" interiors but were being produced side by side with the clear interior Classic shells using the very same shells. So it's certainly not inconceivable that some were made with clear interiors. They would not have not shipped out a set or drum just because the interior was clear coated rather than either of the typical finishes. Considering that the purpose of the paint was to hide imperfections and/or wood type (although it was always either mahogany or maple) then a Standard with a clear interior might even be considered an "upgraded" version of same.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I had a set of 60s Ludwigs with unpainted/wood grain interiors and when I added new Ludwig drums around 1970 they came painted white inside. Or maybe it was the reverse, I may not remember. But I do remember that matching Ludwigs manufactured and/or sold a few years apart had both unpainted and painted interiors.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I had a set of 60s Ludwigs with unpainted/wood grain interiors and when I added new Ludwig drums around 1970 they came painted white inside. Or maybe it was the reverse, I may not remember. But I do remember that matching Ludwigs manufactured and/or sold a few years apart had both unpainted and painted interiors.
Ludwig Standard series drums vs. Ludwig Classic series drums.
The Standard's were lower cost and used less than pretty shells, which were coated. The Classic's were coated white after the Ringo factor, then transitioned to clear interiors (late 60's I think).
The question was "were Standard's made with clear interiors"?
As a rule, no, they were coated with something (white or granitone). But there were exceptions to the rule. If there was an order for a Standard set with a 22" bass, but there were no coated shells in stock, a clear interior shell would've been grabbed to finish the drum and get the set shipped.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
well after one email sent within 4 hours of him posting the kit and another yesterday with no reply, I texted him today and he had sold the kit just before I texted - wtf

Latest posts