Did Ludwig's Psychedelic Red Wrap Ever Appear in Bowling Ball Finish?

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was thumbing thru the 1973 Ludwig Catalog [ http://www.drumarchive.com/Ludwig/1973_LUDWIG.pdf ] and noticed on p. 8 & p. 12 Oyster Black and Oyster Blue have already migrated to bowling ball finish, and the Psych Red shown on p. 9 looks a little bowling-ballish...but I've never seen an actual in-person or photo of Psych Red wrap that was bowling ball. Is this just a bad photo on p. 9? The back page samples are just forwarded from prior catalogs before bowling ball appeared, so Psych Red, like OBP and OBP, still show as the original style.

Was Ludwig just running out its supply of Psych Red by '73, deciding it wasn't worth it to re-do in bowling ball finish?

There is this thread that suggests that somewhere in late 60s early 70s Ludwig obtained a different type of Psych Red but still not bowling ball - http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=22955

Thanks, all!

Reactions: JDA

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The sample on the swatch page looks much more pearlish than any actual PR wrap I've ever actually seen on a drum. In other words it seems that PR was opaque from day one. Ludwig continued, of course, to use that swatch picture throughout the time they offered that wrap. They did change the formulation of the wrap around 1974-75 going to a much different looking version while keeping the name. It was more of a dark, almost black, background with streaks of green, blue, and red in it. I suppose this could be considered the "bowling ball" version of Psych Red. The greens on that version are more stable and a bit more of a neon color. It's not a bad looking wrap but not really the same as the original version.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

gorgeous isn't it... all of it...

If Ludwig went back to "making" that (exact or more close than what they have today) catalog...
They'd almost be as Great as Gretsch! Again!

Reaction score
The sample on the swatch page looks much more pearlish than any actual PR wrap I've ever actually seen on a drum. In other words it seems that PR was opaque from day one. Ludwig continued, of course, to use that swatch picture throughout the time they offered that wrap. They did change the formulation of the wrap around 1974-75 going to a much different looking version while keeping the name. It was more of a dark, almost black, background with streaks of green, blue, and red in it. I suppose this could be considered the "bowling ball" version of Psych Red. The greens on that version are more stable and a bit more of a neon color. It's not a bad looking wrap but not really the same as the original version.
The last rolls of psych red got real "dark and gloomy". That's when they discontinued it, I was told by a former Ludwig employee.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Psych red lasted all the way up to the rivet era as I have saved pictures of a six ply shell with rounded corners and the later version of Psych Red.

Psych Red Rare.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's colors like that

in the Haunted house at Kennywood Park.
Could get used to it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kurt posted the late version of PR there. That's what I was calling "bowling ball" but really the original version would technically be " bowling ball" (It was never officially called that, the name is drum collector slang to differentiate between the two versions of oyster Blue and oyster black). The original versions of the oysters had translucent sections that gave the pearl "depth" and allowed some of the color of the shell to peek through. In 1969/70 the formulation was changed so that these wraps were opaque with a solid black or blue backing. Making them look like linoleum or a bowling ball. The mod wraps never had that translucency to begin with so you might consider that they were always BB versions.

This is original Psychedelic Red in pretty much unfaded condition...

psych red closeup.jpg

This version that turns up occasionally on MIJ drums is more bowling ballish but neither version has the translucent areas like the original Oysters had.

psychotic red (2).jpg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which does Ludwig offer today...what's it look like
don't say none.. or I'll go all Gretsch 145th anniversary on them.

Surely Ludwig offers psyc. Red today

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were no results found. Please try another keyword or phrase.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Which does Ludwig offer today...what's it look like
don't say none.. or I'll go all Gretsch 145th anniversary on them.

Surely Ludwig offers psyc. Red today

Nope!

Maybe down the road. They brought Psych Red back around 2000 in a computer printed version with a repeating pattern (if there were a bowling ball version perhaps that is it). That was a "limited edition". They did a similar version of Mod Orange a year or so later. There was a splotchy version of Psych red offered on the Element series several years ago but it didn't migrate up to the high end drums (you can buy it from Jammin Sam). It looked the least like the original of the three "Mod" colors offered.

A couple years ago Ludwig brought out a more authentic version of Mod Orange on their top line drums...maybe Psychedelic Red is next....who can say?

Last edited:

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi-
Just adding to what everyone else has said, but there were/are I believe five versions.
1- 1967 the original
2- 1973 the black etch a sketch
3- 2001 the computer one
4- 2008 the element limited
5- 2010 the pysch red glass glitter

I am lucky to have a snare in each but not the element.

No psych red on their site or outfitter, but there is the option if you send the material to them, Miss Ann will put it on the shell.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hi-
Just adding to what everyone else has said, but there were/are I believe five versions.
1- 1967 the original
2- 1973 the black etch a sketch
3- 2001 the computer one
4- 2008 the element limited
5- 2010 the pysch red glass glitter

I am lucky to have a snare in each but not the element.
Is your snare in the original PR wrap a Jazz Fest? That's a big ticket item.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually quite like the Bowling Ball Psych Red finish as long as it's not a particularly splotchy specimen.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I will say this about psych red. Even some of the original stull changes from batch to batch. I have seen sets that have loads of green areas and some with lots of blue. Even my 1968 psych red rock duo changes a little in the toms. The 8x12 has more dark colors in it than the rest of the set. The 9x13 has a lot of green area as do the bass drums. The floor toms is about even. My set would probably have been mint as far as the color goes but a previous owner must have let the light hit them from a slight angle. From sitting behind the set, both bass drums and the 9x13 on the right side have a little bit of fade. The 8x12 and floor tom are pretty much untouched. The opposite side of the set looks unfaded. The faded parts are still green but not as deep of a green as the unfaded parts. It's a REALLY hard color to match when you have orphans.

IMG_5870.JPG

1617809801771.png

1617809819379.png

1617809843374.png

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
I will say this about psych red. Even some of the original stull changes from batch to batch. I have seen sets that have loads of green areas and some with lots of blue.... It's a REALLY hard color to match when you have orphans.
It does seem like from pictures of the old kits I’ve seen online each one has its own character for sure

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KO it is a pioneer all original heads wires and case.

OP Richard, I would call version 2 a “bowling ball” because the sort of consistency and length of draws of the colors, as opposed to swirls and splatters.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey how'd these sneak in here...

ah no no. out. out

any of you guys know anything about these two?