Did my first ever duo gig last night

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a local popular cover band that I fill in with on a regular basis. It's a couple brothers......one plays guitar and sings lead and the other is the drummer, but he's also a very talented bass player. The guitar player and bass player from my band are full time members of that band as well. It works out great because if the drummer can't make a gig I fill in. If the bass player can't make a gig the drummer just slides over to bass and I fill in on drums. They are all very talented and I get along with them really well plus they always make good money so it's a pretty good set up.

They also do a lot of duo gigs. It'll be the one brother who plays guitar and sings lead plus either his brother on bass or the other guitar player depending on who is available. Well as luck would have it neither one could make the gig last night so he messaged me to see if i would like to do it. I've been dying to do a duo gig so I jumped at the chance. It was at a small club I've played at with my band. I just took a small setup which consisted of my Classic Maple 14x20 kick, 60's Pioneer snare plus hi hats and a crash/ride. That was all.

The verdict: It was a blast! So much fun! The minimal setup caused me to be so much more creative and with just the two of us we could control the dynamics better. The crowd loved it and we were both very pleased with how it turned out. I should have been doing this my whole life.

bikini set.jpg

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Cool, G!
As you know, I've been doing these types of gigs for over twenty years.
Not everyone has the mindset to do 'em, but I figure why pay those other guys?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Done many, many gigs as a duo .... sometimes with a pianist/vocalist and sometimes with a guitarist/vocalist. Minimal kits are the way to go and often I just used snare and brushes. It is a different feeling to stay totally groove oriented and disciplined and I like that myself.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was definitely something I'd been wanting to do for a long time and it did not disappoint. The other guy was stoked too. Think I will certainly get the opportunity to do it again.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Do you miss a bass player? I've done them with an organ trio reduced to an organ duo, but the organ has a bass. I really hate to play without some kind of bass because then nothing sounds right to me.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve only done one duo gig and it was a lot of fun.
What type of music were you playing?
2AE8F658-C31A-4A19-880D-455A063F0507.jpeg

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you miss a bass player? I've done them with an organ trio reduced to an organ duo, but the organ has a bass. I really hate to play without some kind of bass because then nothing sounds right to me.
You know it's funny because my band did a couple of gigs last year without a bass player. Our bass player couldn't make the gig and we couldn't find a fill in so we just straight up did it without one. And it went fine. The crowd didn't seem to notice at all and it was cool to just set the groove myself and not have to worry about what the bass player was doing :)

Of course with the duo gig it did get a little thin when he played his lead parts but I would do extra accents and stuff to help fill the space. But I guess that's the fun part of a duo gig. It did force me to play with more dynamics which was fun.