Did some one create a custom drum company and forget to tell anyone

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe he made segmented and sometimes stave drums. I heard he retired from drum making and started drumfactorydirect.com

owr

Reaction score
I had one of their Stave drums for sometime about 15 years ago (holy S$%^ time flies). Real nice drums, no complaints.

REF

Reaction score
It's more difficult to make solid wood shells, especially segmented because of the lathing involved. I look at the drum and see aftermarket parts anyone can purchase, and a nice shell. I'm certain the drum sounds fine because it isn't difficult for that to happen.

Without something proprietary that sets the drum apart, though, aside from a badge, it is almost impossible to start a drum making business and hope to succeed.

Fat_asian

Reaction score
I once had a torque drumkit, there's not even pics left on internet of it. Lol it was great while it lasted. They've been circulated for 20 years or more to whomever (fortunate) has them. I bought them for $275, sold them for $105 which is crazy, seen them on Kijiji for 275! Hopefully they have a good home now. Where they don't bang on them like gorillas like I did!

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a walnut segment shell from them,nice shell.He offered steam bent shells also as I remember .I remember he offered birch maple cherry walnut and an African wood that was like mahogany and occasionally other less common exotic woods when he could get them.As far as I remember he just sold shells so if you find a Global drum it could be outfitted with any kind of hardware.

Snowdog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt Wille's Global Drum Company made superb segmented drum shells...their shells were slightly different construction than Greg Gaylord's or Pete Stanbridge's but fully equal to them in quality and great sound. I never owned or heard any other offerings from Global (steam-bent, stave) but having assembled/owned several drums from their segmented snare shells in cherry, bubinga and purpleheart I know they created many awesome drums...which I wish I still had. They also created shells for full sets and sold completed assembled drums using customer chosen or supplied hardware. I always wanted to try one of their sets. The photo attached is from their defunct Myspace page. Nowadays Matt is working at making DrumFactoryDirect the best online drum parts supplier. The rave reviews about their customer service & speedy deliveries don't surprise me; one time when I ordered a bubinga segmented snare shell from Global and asked for bearing edges to be cut to spec (before I was set up to do my own) there was an error while cutting the shell...instead of offering a discount or asking if I could live with it as-is, Matt insisted on building a new shell (costly) so it would be exactly what I wanted. Always about quality and customer service with Matt.

Attachments

Latest posts