Did the crisis bring an end to your band?

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope this hasn't been done yet. It's kind of hard to search for this. And, I haven't been around much lately, but, I'm going to restart.

So, has the crisis actually brought an end to your band?

Our band is still officially together. But, I have a suspicion, based on a few email exchanges, that:

1. No one is in a rush to return.

2. No one wants to be the one to bring it an end, but, secretly, that might be the inclination.

What about your band?

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Both of the bands in which I perform will continue to be bands and will continue to rehearse, but we all do not expect to be playing out until sometime in 2021. Yes, there are bands around my neck of the woods that are playing out, but all of the folks with whom I play are high risk (in the duo the pianist is 77; in the classic rock/pop band the other members are in their mid-to-late 60s) and I am soon to be 72. No hurry to get out there, especially since FL has the dubious distinction of being #1 or #2 (depends on the day) hotspot. But disbanding? Nope. Never crossed any of our minds and we are all open and communicate among ourselves well.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
We've been together since '08 and the singer and me since since '01, so we'll continue on in some form or another. The last few months we've been playing off and on and places have reopened and shut down again, plus we've been doing live streams and private parties. We're on a minimum 1 month hiatus as our regular spots have shut down until August at earliest.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
My band ended two months before.

Things were going alright considering.....except I am a straight shooter and the leader of the band like to have a little to much to drink and berate his wife in front of us. Just cringe worthy stuff.

I said something to him in private and that set the gears turning in some unexpected ways which culminated it the end of the band.

In retrospect I am fine with the whole trajectory. I am a busy man and it was a lot of work and practice to what amounted to chump change for playing covers to 50 year old women in smoke filled VFWs.

ellaguru

Reaction score
no...we are plowing through new tunes and spit shining our old ones to get all the dynamics right. we only play originals so perhaps thats a major glue to hold it all together. to us, playing covers is a complete waste of time and if for some reason we were a cover band right now, i'd be done with it due to all this covidmania.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
More or less, yeah. I was already a lot more ambitious about it than my bandmate. We had a really cool duo. He loved playing the gigs and we had almost unbelievably good local response given that we were an instrumental duo. But I wanted to record and try to set up tours and festivals and all that, and he really didn't have his head in it to actually do the work. It's typical of musicians around here that they just want to show up and play the gig. So, anyway, that's over for now. It may come back. Who knows?

I'm hoping that by the time this whole thing is over I'll have made a record of my own songs and that I'll have done enough remote recordings with people that things will grow from those contacts. But I'm more or less at ground zero right now, with no confidence that anything at all will be the same. Will I ever play a jazz gig again? Do I even want to? Hard to say.

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be the end of my band. But we are on a longer than expected hiatus, as one of the guitarists' girlfriend has muscular dystrophy. So he is in isolation until the government or health department says otherwise. But he has been working on new material during the downtime, and I expect that we will start up again as soon as he's allowed to go out.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3 months into covid they wanted to re-convene indoors in a tiny rehearsal space to which i declined. I am careful with this stuff, not worth the risk (and we all sing in the band). They can ask another drummer for now but I know they will ask me back when things are 'normal'....I do key background vocals.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually joined a vocalist in corona times.

I was working with her for over a decade. We lost (the stage) touch a bit and got together for two gigs we had a week ago.

we hope more gigs will come the coming months and otherwise rehearse so we are even better prepared for the early season in Januari.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My band has 2 outdoor gigs coming up but that's probably it for the year. No desire to play any clubs in this environment. Looking hopefully to Spring 2021. Hopefully...

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still going..we've lost a guy..I think he wanted out a while before the pandemic hit...just as well..he was a good guy, but we found a better bass player...but, that's just between you, me and the fence post..lol

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
no...we are plowing through new tunes and spit shining our old ones to get all the dynamics right. we only play originals so perhaps thats a major glue to hold it all together. to us, playing covers is a complete waste of time and if for some reason we were a cover band right now, i'd be done with it due to all this covidmania.
Yes . I’m in the same boat .

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Were still going. We found a nice building that we could start tracking in. Still rehearsing, and starting to book gigs here.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All of the people in all of my bands are burning to play. We have all had gigs postponed or cancelled at the very last minute, which frustrated all of us, but we're in.
I even have a few studio dates in the offing, which is good, because the main studio I work at just reopened.

Dan

Last edited:

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
Basically, yes. We weren't gigging too heavily before this due to other life commitments (heavy gigging and touring days are long past), and now it looks like the places that we had been booked into have a real good possibility of closing for good. We were working through a years-old backlog of original tunes but everyone's focus and energy is elsewhere now.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
No gigs, no rehearsal space big enough to afford effective social distancing, and no on line collaborative software that allows real time interaction without the tempo dropping = a hiatus. On the plus side, I can track at home - but that means others in the band have to generate tracks on their own. Fortunately, I'm getting calls elsewhere, so between that and learning how to use EQ, compression, and mix, I'm fairly busy.

Latest posts