Did the crisis bring an end to your band?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Just got in from a gig tonight, I subbed for another drummer.
My trio plays almost every weekend and I gig with another artist when I'm available to.

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
On hiatus until further notice.
Nowhere to rehearse or play makes the whole "band" thing largely academic.
I am confident we will get the ball rolling again once the opportunity presents itself.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My band is ostensibly together, but our bass player is sheltering for good reason. Things are opened back up here and to show support, and to hold our regular spot the singer and I are playing. The bad thing is we can't find a sub bassist, so we are using a sub drummer and I have to play bass. I don't know how much of that I can take. I am trying to stay positive and look to the future. No way am i going back to playing bass though.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The crisis inadvertently ended my project. Since the virus hit my guitarist had to shut down his tattoo shop for a while which was our practice space as well. So I friended him on Facebook. Upon doing that I saw some things he's posted that he and I differ on greatly concerning politics. He's very outspoken where I'm not. Since he was going to be the one to write lyrics and sing I decided to let it go because I don't want to do any kind of political music at all. So due to that I decided to just drop it for now. And with things ramping up here in Florida and having a wife and son with asthma and other immune system issues I'm just holding off until this thing calms down before jumping into anything else.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
with one of my groups we've been having outdoor driveway rehearsals given the good weather. it's been fun with neighbors and friends coming by, have a few beers etc. but we're moving back into the rehearsal space now so we can actually work on new material. I doubt we'll have any gigs until next year. One of my other groups does have a gig in august, it's in an open air venue but covered and they will imposed distance seating.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My original band played yesterday at a great farm with a house overlooking a lake. About 60 people in all. We did two sets and actually added three covers per set. Fun time-great food and lots of alcohol and wacky tobaccy. We're going to play there again in October.

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are staying together, with hopes of booking a couple gigs for Aug., if the Governor gives us the OK.:dontknow: Practice tomorrow night and working on some new songs.

Pibroch

Reaction score
The lockdown helped us - we were able to use it to take stock and think about what we wanted - the original core players decided to get rid of a couple of problematic members and now we're a happy team of equally dedicated contributors.

Last edited:

Mike St.Clair

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think our big band jazz group may come to an end. We primarily play a few times a year at assisted living facilities and most of the members of the band are 60's-80's. I'm 48, and I haven't played with a group since I was onboard John F Kennedy while deployed 92-93. I'm not a jazz drummer, but it was a neat group to be part of for about 18 months. They've been together since 95 or so. Members have come and gone though.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Band 1: One of our members just tested positive for the virus, so we're on hold. Most of our shows were already cancelled or rescheduled anyway, but we're still together.

Band 2: Going strong, still playing outdoor gigs and scheduled to go into the studio next month.

Band 3: Two members quit over the politics of it all. I don't get into politics with people I work with (I play with liberals and conservatives...I really don't care what their views are), so it's a little weird to me, but I understand some people get passionate about differences of opinion. We would find replacements, but all of our gigs have been cancelled or postponed. I would say this band has been affected the most.

Band 4: We released an album during lockdown and are just now talking about rehearsing some new material. Still together.

I've been doing a lot of home recording for a new project and sending tracks to the producer. Really, between that and Band 2, I've been fairly busy.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep. Was doing a new project, just getting ready to play out. And then this hits. We are retiring next year, and moving out of the area. I’m just gonna hang with jams, and my church gig when they come back around. Not much I can do at this point. Going to move to Nevada city, up in the Sierras. We’ll see what the gigging situation looks like up there. May just be done. Currently playing my ukulele more than drums. More fun by myself!

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
2 bands nothing till further notice. One band we played last month on a lake ‘drive in’ style for boats kayaks etc., (which did very well)
51D4CC61-4431-45B9-89BB-6D2F6F5C7EB4.jpeg
and have the same this month. We did another gig outside at a country club with self distancing which was not as comfortable safety wise because there’s some people who didn’t want to play by the rules...idiots.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Band 1: One of our members just tested positive for the virus, so we're on hold. Most of our shows were already cancelled or rescheduled anyway, but we're still together.

Band 2: Going strong, still playing outdoor gigs and scheduled to go into the studio next month.

Band 3: Two members quit over the politics of it all. I don't get into politics with people I work with (I play with liberals and conservatives...I really don't care what their views are), so it's a little weird to me, but I understand some people get passionate about differences of opinion. We would find replacements, but all of our gigs have been cancelled or postponed. I would say this band has been affected the most.

Band 4: We released an album during lockdown and are just now talking about rehearsing some new material. Still together.

I've been doing a lot of home recording for a new project and sending tracks to the producer. Really, between that and Band 2, I've been fairly busy.

I think it's awesome that you are staying so busy. 4 bands is a lot and I know you have a day job too! I've got three bands going on myself and all of them are starting to work again. Everything has been outside of course and I'm so thankful to play again. I actually have two gigs this week and two next week. Most of the stuff tends to be outdoor summer concert series that any given town puts on. I have been doing those for years.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Technically, we're still together. Most places around here won't hire any live music right now, because they can't fit a artist into the establishment with social distance guidelines. Those that are hiring, are really only hiring solo acoustic acts.