Did the crisis bring an end to your band?

KevinD

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the status of things are..for anything live right now I would say that is done for..

I am (was??) really only a sideman for 2 artists, so they call me if they need me. A guitarist/singer I play with had 6 weekender-fly aways dates booked for April/May that were all Covid Canceled. Things look grim for any possible rebookings in 2020 at this point. HOPEFULLY the venues will remain in business after all this. But even locally, he only wants to play his original stuff with the band so that really limits the venues.

To add insult to injury, the person at the Mgt. Co. that got him the dates was hospitalized with Covid19 and has been having a rough time with the after-effects, communication has been sporadic... the guitarist isn't even sure there will be a Mgt Co. when this lightens up...That just adds another layer of "stuff" to wade through after all is said & done. The guitarist has been doing limited outdoor acoustic wine bar/house cover gigs which is about the only thing that pulls in any money for him right now.. He wants to get back to gigging with the band but it isn't practical at this point.

I play with a singer/keyboardist, pretty much the same story there, although he is writing some new stuff and will send me some things to track home.

But in both cases (as well with some other musical things I had been doing) there have been no attempts at actually getting together physically to play.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant aerosols.
Research is needed on the spread of aerosols from brass and reed instruments. Larger particles don’t make it through the tubing.

Like everything else, one needs to balance the risk/reward ratio. We rehearse outside where aerosols are more likely to be blown away by the breeze. We stay distanced. We wear masks when not playing (and the rhythm section all of the time). We are lucky to live in a rural area of New York State where infections, hospitalization, and deaths have been very low (37 active cases, 1 death). We weekly keep an eye on the numbers of our and neighboring areas. As soon as things start looking bad, we will cancel rehearsals.

It’s not perfectly safe, but we’re trying to be responsible and relatively careful.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my bands has started gigging again. Can't say I'm thrilled as there were no masks or social distancing at the venues the last 2 weekends. I stayed at my drums or retreated to my car during breaks.
My other band has a regular twice a month gig at a beach side bar with a small stage. They recently started having music again but the leader turned down gigs for near future, a decision I'm happy with, though I do miss playing those gigs.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it hasn't , but the opportunity to get together is somewhat different . We're still tight regardless , recording the last song on our album outside , keeping in touch on the phone at least twice a week . My personal motivation has taken a nosedive, though . I'm grateful that many of the hurdles in my journey are behind me now . It'd be difficult to make sense of this business and its present day parameters if I was just starting out .

Last edited:

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
My personal motivation has taken a nosedive, though . I'm grateful that many of the hurdles in my journey are behind me now . It'd be difficult to make sense of this business and its present day parameters if I was starting out .
I hear ya! No possible gigs, little motivation. We're in California, where its getting bad. Was in a new band, just starting to book when it hit. Retiring next year, moving to the Sierras. Figuring, with less then a year left here, I'll just sit it out 'till we move. Then, we'll see what's happening. My wife's works ICU, and I'm in surgery for day gigs. We're just trying to roll with it. Pretty wild times.....

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, but our female singer left the band. We have a male lead and are gigging. We are having trouble finding a replacement female lead though.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crisis will die before my drums cymbals or me do. Me do? Yes sir..
No sir don't mean maybe
Yes sir that's my baby
now...

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Crisis will die before my drums cymbals or me do. Me do? Yes sir..
No sir don't mean maybe
Yes sir that's my baby
now...
Hey! Playing uke a lot lately. Thanks for the reminder. Gotta look that one up! <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you're talking Crash!
Ah that's when music was Music!

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blues/rock trio has done a few gigs recently. We will only do outdoors venues where social distancing and masks are required.

Church restarted limited contemporary services a couple of weeks ago, so that band has started back up. Masks required for everyone except when singing or preaching and social distancing set up on stage and in the congregation.

The big band has many of us over 60 and we have not been able to find a suitable rehearsal space. We had to turn down a September wedding. We have been very active since 2002 and everyone stays in touch and is anxious to get restarted, so I don't see this band folding.

Life goes on but very carefully.