header.nohb.html

Did you ever own your “dream” kit ?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I dreamt of getting my Rogers kit back in playing order again. I don’t understand why I had waited nearly three years after getting them back in my possession to put them back together again. Some people will rag about it being in the laundry room. I will post better pix eventually, as she will be in her new home soon!

7E6A99CB-813A-45F0-A6C2-E8EF795F43A5.jpeg
EBF7CA26-C26D-4BF4-B5A7-23EB195E184A.jpeg

TillM

Reaction score
Since I was a teenager I've always dreaming about a DW Collectors drum set.
I spend hours and hours in using there drum set calculator in the early 2000 to generate my dream kit.
Then in 2013 a big music store closed his smaller shops and put all together in one big music shop.
So I went to the smaller shop in October 2013 cause they had a sell out and then I saw there my DW Kit I've ever dreamed about.
22x18 kick, 10x8 tom, 12x9 tom and 14x12 floor tom with legs, all in ruby glass with chrome hardware for 2200€. I was already in love and the price tag was a huuuuuuuuge plus.

The problem was. I was still a Student at university and I had to save up my money for a big United States trip with my girlfriend.
So I know, that she would probably kill me, when I use the money for a drum kit.
I asked the seller if he could reserve me the drum set, cause I have to save some money for it and bla bla bla.
He was so nice, that he reserve me the drum set for 4 weeks.
Next problem: I was totally sure, that I never ever will save 2200€ in the next 4 weeks. It was totally impossible.
So I used the next 4 weeks to thinking about, how I get this kit and how I can fly with my girlfriend to the United States.
I ended up this:
I used the money for the vacation to buy the DW kit in the store and have to told my girlfriend that I don't have the money for the vacation anymore, but I've got a new drum set.

Long story short:
I still have the drum kit and love it, but my girlfriend leave me after that.
And do you know what? I never regret it. :D

Last edited:

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In late 1986, I ordered my absolute dream kit, taking delivery in early '87. A brand new Tama Superstar (2x) 24x16/10/12/13/14/15/16ft/18ft/14x6.5 in Candy Apple Red, with a full Tama Power Tower cage, a full set of Zildjian Platinum cymbals (ride, hats, 4 crashes and a China Boy High), Anvil cases for all drums, and a Zildjian Cymbal Safe. I was 19 and I bought it all myself. I still have half of the kit, and until recently it was on almost every gig I've done in my whole career.

I didn't really have another "dream kit" in mind until I saw an ad featuring a Tama STAR Maple in Ocean Blue Curly Maple back in 2018. I literally had dreams about the kit. I didn't even need or want new drums, especially at the sticker price. Actually, I was looking to thin out the herd a little bit. I just couldn't get the drums out of my mind. Eventually, I just began plotting ways to justify the purchase in my mind; selling gear I didn't use any longer, compiling rewards from my credit card, gift cards from the holidays, and I pulled the trigger. So, yes I now own my dream kit.

Attachments

• 20210305_030909.jpg
    20210305_030909.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 32

rwp42

Reaction score
I bought a relatively-affordable Sonor AQ2 Bop kit when I got back into drumming and taking lessons at the beginning of this year. Really nice kit for the money. But I knew I wanted to upgrade at some point. Made a deal with myself that if I was still going strong in a year, I'd buy my 'dream kit'. And then I unexpectedly found it at an amazing price: a Sonor Vintage 320. Pulled the trigger! So far it is everything I thought it would be and I am loving it.

IMG_1275.jpeg

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first Rogers set I ever saw was an early 60s blue sparkle Top Hat outfit that the music store ordered for a local rock band drummer. I was later able to hear them played in a battle of the bands contest and was impressed by the tonal separation of the two 8X12 toms, one tuned high and the other lower. I was awed and vowed that someday I would own a similar set in silver sparkle. By the time I was old enough to afford a new set of drums, Rogers no longer offered the Top Hat outfit. After owning a number of other Rogers sets I happened to find this little gem on eBay. Unfortunately the first generation dual tom holders weren't tough enough to suit my demanding schedule so I sold them and graduated to Big R sets.

Attachments

• rogers.JPG
    rogers.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 17

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In grade school a friend had a Walberg and Auge snare drum...when I got to college and got more into drumming I realized I how rare the band was and the finish (big red confetti pieces over black). I thought I'd like a W/A kit in an odd finish.

I did have a former circus kit (redglass glitter floor tom and 24" bass) where the bass had a strip of gold sparkle tape across the middle (Looked good)....and I found a 13" tom. At the time I thought the bass was too big and when I moved into my current house I had too many drums....so I sold it. BUT...

Through this forum I got 12/13/16 W/A toms in WMP with sparse gold glitter sprinkled over it (its a factory finish). The 12 is single tension. All 3 are faded a little...via the FB W/A page I found a 20" kick (single tension) and a complete 2nd tom (single tension)...which confirms the fade...but its the same finish. Months later and 2 towns a way a 24" kick turned up in the same finish. The 24 must have been a concert bass...no tom mount, no legs and hardly any signs of use on the old Remo heads. I added Indie/Lugs/leg mounts... I've used the kit 13/16/24 for a recording and the kick just killed. W/S hoops on the toms the kit just killed...

I bought a set of cocktail drum like wires and I plan on setting up one of the 12s as a STOM...

Monday317

Reaction score
Did you ever scrap the dough together for what you thought was your dream kit ? How did it work out for you ? Do you still have it ?

I have owned a few kits that at one time I would have considered a dream kit , but the one that really sticks out for me was a Yamaha PHX kit . I sold two kits to fund this kit (one being my former well liked Yamaha Club Customs ) . The finish was chosen with input from my partner Marisa.
I had been a huge fan of Yamaha drums at that time and this being the flagship of Yamaha I was excited to get these drums .
9 months later they arrived . I literally took them from the shop to a gig the same day. I was surprised how heavy the shells were . Very thick shells , but the drums did not sound like your typical thick shell kit . Super resonant to the point of almost being too resonant if you could say that . The build quality is incredible , some of the finest bearing edges ever . The drums really projected . The drums were beautiful and very different from any kits I had previously. My local shop had received a Noble and Cooley Horizon kit that after testing out , I just preferred to my Yamaha PHX kit . The N&C shells were lighter and the sound was warmer and I found the drums easier to dial in . The only issue was the finish was not really my favourite but the sound was fantastic . I bought the N&C kit and knew my Yamaha PHX days were numbered .

I assume Senior (DanRH) will have a cool story to relate as well for this thread .
View attachment 576557 View attachment 576558
Well, no. My first kit was a B Stock Pearl Master’s Birch, which was quite good but not the Mahogany I wanted. Now with kids, orthodontia, school, etc., that new Ludwig Legacy Mahogany or Pearl Masterworks Mahagony kit is pretty much a pipe dream now.

C’est le vie, yais?

Danzgroove

Reaction score
My first set of silver sparkle Slingerlands I got on Christmas of ‘68 when I was 7 was the kit I was dreaming of from the ‘66-67 Catalogs. I’ve had a few dozen kits since then. Some for collecting most for playing. I had to build my own dream kit from scratch in 2014 to get what I was really looking for.
1142B1F3-0699-4D6F-85AE-A9CF7C3B73AD.jpeg

pbloxam

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since I saved up for all of the kits I have ever owned, they all fit the description...
I truly feel blessed that I was able to own them...

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, several times. I am always hopeful that the next set will be a dream set. But, if I understand the question correctly to mean have you dreamt of a set and lusted after that particular model/configuration/finish and then bought them, then also yes.

1. Ludwig natural thermogloss — I loved the look of natural Ludwigs for years and finally found a set of these that I thought was a good deal. They were a Hollywood setup, before I knew what that was, and I had never owned a full set of vintage Ludwigs before. I just didn’t love the tone like I thought I would, and put them up for sale. A fairly known collector pounced on them immediately and then got mad when he received them because he had assumed they were 3-ply shells when in fact they were 6. He never asked, and I was green enough to not know there were two shell types so I didn’t even know to mention it. This shell is the reason I think I didn’t like the drums, too.

2. Tempus blue sparkle fade — I bought into the hype around Dunnett and Tempus that was going on over on RD’s forum and ordered from both. Both made nice drums, but neither are still with me for different reasons. I sold these Tempus shells just because I wanted to try something different.

3. Ludwig Legacy natural maple — after learning about the shells differences back when I had that experience with the 6-ply set, I got excited when this option became available from Ludwig after many years. My hope was that these would be the dream set where the vintage ones had failed me. On paper, they were. I did like them a lot, but didn’t love them. Sold them here on the forum.

4. Slingerland Studio King green sparkle — a forum member alerted me to these being available at his local MGR. I bought them and loved playing them for years. I lost a job in 2013 and sold them to pay bills. The guy who bought them (I thought) was willing to sell them back to me at some point, but for years he refused my repeated requests. He finally did contact me when he decided to downsize and I got them back last year. In the intervening period, I bought two other Studio King sets but they didn’t sound like what I remembered — I think because the green sparkle set is wrapped and those other 2 sets were lacquered.

5. (Current) Summit Drums solid mahogany 12/14/20. I got this set last year from Gary and I just love it to death. I never thought I would invest in a solid shell set because the Craviottos of the world are just so expensive. When I started playing Gary's drums I was thrilled to find a sound I loved that surpassed my experience with any solid shells I had played before and would allow me to afford a full set in solid shells.

Ludwig1975

Reaction score
Did you ever scrap the dough together for what you thought was your dream kit ? How did it work out for you ? Do you still have it ?

I have owned a few kits that at one time I would have considered a dream kit , but the one that really sticks out for me was a Yamaha PHX kit . I sold two kits to fund this kit (one being my former well liked Yamaha Club Customs ) . The finish was chosen with input from my partner Marisa.
I had been a huge fan of Yamaha drums at that time and this being the flagship of Yamaha I was excited to get these drums .
9 months later they arrived . I literally took them from the shop to a gig the same day. I was surprised how heavy the shells were . Very thick shells , but the drums did not sound like your typical thick shell kit . Super resonant to the point of almost being too resonant if you could say that . The build quality is incredible , some of the finest bearing edges ever . The drums really projected . The drums were beautiful and very different from any kits I had previously. My local shop had received a Noble and Cooley Horizon kit that after testing out , I just preferred to my Yamaha PHX kit . The N&C shells were lighter and the sound was warmer and I found the drums easier to dial in . The only issue was the finish was not really my favourite but the sound was fantastic . I bought the N&C kit and knew my Yamaha PHX days were numbered .

I assume Senior (DanRH) will have a cool story to relate as well for this thread .
View attachment 576557 View attachment 576558
Yes indeed and still have it
8E58C418-93E8-4A55-96FA-BB97155CFF64.jpeg

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I call it my one “that got away”.

The DW Maple/Mahogany with Feathered Mahogany outer ply. The finish is Candy to Black fade. .

Sizes 8x7, 10x7, 12x7, 15x14, 18x14, 22x16, and a one off 15x10 snare.

View attachment 576622 View attachment 576623 View attachment 576624 View attachment 576625 View attachment 576626 View attachment 576627 View attachment 576629 View attachment 576630 View attachment 576631

Because of the wood choice, the shorter sizes still sounded deeper than they were (and I need the short sizes because of my height).

The finish was hand painted by Louie Garcia and is stunning.

The set started out as a 10/12/13/15/18/22 back in 2018 when Jay Postones from Tesseract ordered them.

As the 12 and 13 toms that came with it were too deep for me (8 deep), I made an offer on for only a part of the set and it got accepted.

After I bought it, I ordered the 12 toms and 15 snare in 2020, and a few days before it got sold last year, the 8 came in.

All perfectly matched in finish, without sending anything in (a huge shoutout to Erik Paulson from Cymbal Fusion).

My only gripe was the weight and that they couldn’t aource more feathered mahogany for more drums for a Daxdad I wanted too.

I thought I made a good choice selling it, and get the rare Sonor Signature Special Edition (for some the holy grail), but in hindsight it wasn’t and it became the most stupid thing I had done in drum-wise.

A close second was my custom Oak rig. Used for 9 years (longest time I kept a kit) and went through some alterations along the way.

View attachment 576638

It ended up as a kit with 8x7, 10x8, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, 22x17, 16x16 side kick, 20x13 or 14 gong, and a factory matched custom Sub-Kick.
I've always loved the looks of that DW kit you had. Just stunning.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
In late 1986, I ordered my absolute dream kit, taking delivery in early '87. A brand new Tama Superstar (2x) 24x16/10/12/13/14/15/16ft/18ft/14x6.5 in Candy Apple Red, with a full Tama Power Tower cage, a full set of Zildjian Platinum cymbals (ride, hats, 4 crashes and a China Boy High), Anvil cases for all drums, and a Zildjian Cymbal Safe. I was 19 and I bought it all myself. I still have half of the kit, and until recently it was on almost every gig I've done in my whole career.

I didn't really have another "dream kit" in mind until I saw an ad featuring a Tama STAR Maple in Ocean Blue Curly Maple back in 2018. I literally had dreams about the kit. I didn't even need or want new drums, especially at the sticker price. Actually, I was looking to thin out the herd a little bit. I just couldn't get the drums out of my mind. Eventually, I just began plotting ways to justify the purchase in my mind; selling gear I didn't use any longer, compiling rewards from my credit card, gift cards from the holidays, and I pulled the trigger. So, yes I now own my dream kit.
That's a phenomenal kit you have there. One of my favorite finishes of all time! I'd put the Tama Star lineup as being as good as anything out there.

dpfrd

Reaction score
I lucked out about 4 years ago and got a USA Custom in Rosewood Gloss used at a steal from my old college drum teacher, and fell in love with USA Customs.

Finally pulled the trigger last year on my first new kit... This is never leaving my home studio.

Attachments

• 20210720_225521_HDR.jpg
    20210720_225521_HDR.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210721_230437_HDR.jpg
    20210721_230437_HDR.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210728_173014_HDR_2.jpg
    20210728_173014_HDR_2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 48