header.nohb.html

Did you ever own your “dream” kit ?

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I built my dream kit. Couldn't afford a Lars signature kit even if I could find one. So, I took my 1989 Japanese made Rockstar kit, stripped it down to the bare shells and rewrapped it in White glass glitter with black nickel hardware. I absolutely love it. No regrets.
View attachment 576725
I must admit. If I had some illicit income stream that boosted my high school income way beyond what my minimum wage job actually paid (I was a good boy. good-n-poor), I would have blown my ill-gotten gains constructing something similar.

Cheshirecat81

Reaction score
I must admit. If I had some illicit income stream that boosted my high school income way beyond what my minimum wage job actually paid (I was a good boy. good-n-poor), I would have blown my ill-gotten gains constructing something similar.
It took a lot of years of owning a scratched up mirror chrome kit, years of adulthood and a pandemic to kick start the project. It took 2 years to procure all the parts!

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
I was very lucky last year to come across a 2010 SSB #4 Gretsch USA Custom in Rosewood. I had always loved Gretsch from the first time I sat behind my instructor's kit. I never thought I would own a set but when this set came up on Marketplace at a price that seemed more than fair, I pounced. These will never be sold by me, I will hand them down to my oldest son who also plays drums.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have my dream kit, c/o NobleCooleyNut, his PHX kit. It’s a great way to get a high quality drum set without the hefty price tag.

What I thought was my dream kit: back in 2015, I bought a fantastic looking set of Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes in Vintage Natural. This was the last iteration of BCA from the Sakae factory. The finish was stunning, everything looked to be in order. The problem: even with brand new Remo heads, they sounded terrible. I couldn’t get a proper sound from them, I felt like an absolute beginner trying to tune and tweak these things. I couldn’t believe how not good they sounded with brand new heads, except them bass drum. I sold them the first chance I could, took a big time $900 bath on those drums. So, as team Yamaha as many of you know that I am on the forum, the only two I avoid like the plague is 1. BCA and 2. 2008-2010 tour custom. Shells on that version of TC are great, hardware is bullpuckey.

kevmill70

Reaction score
Masters 1.jpg

A friend had this for sale at just the right time

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
All right kiddos, settle down. Settle in and listen to this story. I was in sixth or seventh grade Orchestra playing percussion. I worked my way to the snare drum. I was in rehearsal room soundproof practice room. Bored out of my mind practicing all my diddles in the William Tell overture. I remembered I had firecrackers in my pocket. So I think we know where this went. Instructor open the door. OK in the smoke, paper everywhere. Asked me what happened, I told him I don’t know. He asked why so much smoke?
I said I was practicing really fast. After the principals office. Suspended for three days. My dear mother RIP, pick me up take me to the music store to get books, and there was. The most majestic, Beautiful, Slingerland with chrome ram, Beautiful, Slingerland with chrome Wraps. Double bass, 4 Tom Tom’s off the kick drums 16&18 on the floor. Roto toms, and 2 concert toms. All evans hydraulics blue and red opposite tops. Clears on bottoms with reflective bottlms on 16 & 18.
Kevlar batter heads on anare and kicks.
Turns out it was the owner of Champion music in Houston Texas drum set for sale. Strategically placed under all the beautiful blue red and green stage lights above more Zildjian cymbals then I know what to do with then.
Same day after being suspended for three days. God bless her. I kept those and played those until I was 16. Then I read myself of them mistakingly, regrettably, sadly. I’ll be 53 soon or day week month or year that goes by that I don’t think about those drums.
Lifes-lessons, learned.
SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Cheshirecat81

Reaction score
All right kiddos, settle down. Settle in and listen to this story. I was in sixth or seventh grade Orchestra playing percussion. I worked my way to the snare drum. I was in rehearsal room soundproof practice room. Bored out of my mind practicing all my diddles in the William Tell overture. I remembered I had firecrackers in my pocket. So I think we know where this went. Instructor open the door. OK in the smoke, paper everywhere. Asked me what happened, I told him I don’t know. He asked why so much smoke?
I said I was practicing really fast. After the principals office. Suspended for three days. My dear mother RIP, pick me up take me to the music store to get books, and there was. The most majestic, Beautiful, Slingerland with chrome ram, Beautiful, Slingerland with chrome Wraps. Double bass, 4 Tom Tom’s off the kick drums 16&18 on the floor. Roto toms, and 2 concert toms. All evans hydraulics blue and red opposite tops. Clears on bottoms with reflective bottlms on 16 & 18.
Kevlar batter heads on anare and kicks.
Turns out it was the owner of Champion music in Houston Texas drum set for sale. Strategically placed under all the beautiful blue red and green stage lights above more Zildjian cymbals then I know what to do with then.
Same day after being suspended for three days. God bless her. I kept those and played those until I was 16. Then I read myself of them mistakingly, regrettably, sadly. I’ll be 53 soon or day week month or year that goes by that I don’t think about those drums.
Lifes-lessons, learned.
SUCKS!!!!!!!!
That's a great story...it's a shame it's gone :( I sold mine twice before I got it back for real and refurbed it. I know the pain.

Masecar

Reaction score
Yes. Very much yes. I have pretty much all of my dream drum gear at the ripe old age of 31.
DC584183-1CBB-4403-94B5-0BC703B794AE.jpeg

That's about half of it. The sea blue fade BCANs were the first dream kit I got myself (about five years ago now), and over the last three years I've gotten some absolute steals on vintage Gretsch kits and a 60s Ludwig Standard. I've got kicks from 18 to 24 and snares running the gamut.

fpatton

Reaction score
My dream kit was and is a Buddy Rich/Louie Bellson style Slingerland WMP set. My parents very generously bought it for me for high school graduation, and I will never part with it. I’ve added an 8x12 to it, and I rarely get out the second 14x24 bass drum anymore (in fact, I would love to add a 14x20), but I absolutely love it.

Attachments

• 6C82115D-9195-486D-A015-B04A32969FB1.jpeg
    6C82115D-9195-486D-A015-B04A32969FB1.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 12

Ryneaux

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve owned several dozen dream sets out of the million or so that have passed through my filthy mitts. Only owned one that I recognized as “the” dream set. N&C Horizon back in 2017. Sounded great, looked great, everything functioned perfectly.

Picked up an old Yamaha 9000 set about a year and a half into owning the Horizons. The 9000s blew my hair back a little bit more than the Horizons, so as quickly as the dream appeared, it vanished in a sale, or maybe a trade. Can’t remember exactly.

Been there, done that with the dream sets. I’m left with a couple of nice modern sets that do what I want and look how I want them to look. Nothing special, and I selected gloss black lacquer for both sets specifically so I can blend into the background at gigs.

Rkwilliams907

Reaction score
AC1426DE-867A-498D-8F66-21A2EB322255.png
Did you ever scrap the dough together for what you thought was your dream kit ? How did it work out for you ? Do you still have it ?

I have owned a few kits that at one time I would have considered a dream kit , but the one that really sticks out for me was a Yamaha PHX kit . I sold two kits to fund this kit (one being my former well liked Yamaha Club Customs ) . The finish was chosen with input from my partner Marisa.
I had been a huge fan of Yamaha drums at that time and this being the flagship of Yamaha I was excited to get these drums .
9 months later they arrived . I literally took them from the shop to a gig the same day. I was surprised how heavy the shells were . Very thick shells , but the drums did not sound like your typical thick shell kit . Super resonant to the point of almost being too resonant if you could say that . The build quality is incredible , some of the finest bearing edges ever . The drums really projected . The drums were beautiful and very different from any kits I had previously. My local shop had received a Noble and Cooley Horizon kit that after testing out , I just preferred to my Yamaha PHX kit . The N&C shells were lighter and the sound was warmer and I found the drums easier to dial in . The only issue was the finish was not really my favourite but the sound was fantastic . I bought the N&C kit and knew my Yamaha PHX days were numbered .

I assume Senior (DanRH) will have a cool story to relate as well for this thread .
View attachment 576557 View attachment 576558

Rkwilliams907

Reaction score
My dream kit is a 1962 classic Ludwig black oyster pearl kit originally owned by BJ Wilson of Procol Harum. BJ was first choice for Led Zeppelin. He turned down Jimmy Page 3 times. He remained the drummer for Procol Harum until his death. He also played for Joe Cocker, auditioned for Tom Petty and played for the Clash. I bought this kit in pieces and parts seven years ago from Gary Brooker in England who wrote A Whiter Shade of Pale. I restored them and added missing pieces. They are my dream kit.