header.nohb.html

Did you ever own your “dream” kit ?

Malc

Reaction score
I had high hopes of getting my dream kit, either a Mapex Saturn, Natal Originals,Premier Insignia or a Sonor 3007 ( in white) for my 50th but life has got in the way and there's little hope of it happening, in fact it looks like I'm going to need to sell what I have rather than buy.

IAN-DOG-402

Reaction score
Did you ever scrap the dough together for what you thought was your dream kit ? How did it work out for you ? Do you still have it ?

I have owned a few kits that at one time I would have considered a dream kit , but the one that really sticks out for me was a Yamaha PHX kit . I sold two kits to fund this kit (one being my former well liked Yamaha Club Customs ) . The finish was chosen with input from my partner Marisa.
I had been a huge fan of Yamaha drums at that time and this being the flagship of Yamaha I was excited to get these drums .
9 months later they arrived . I literally took them from the shop to a gig the same day. I was surprised how heavy the shells were . Very thick shells , but the drums did not sound like your typical thick shell kit . Super resonant to the point of almost being too resonant if you could say that . The build quality is incredible , some of the finest bearing edges ever . The drums really projected . The drums were beautiful and very different from any kits I had previously. My local shop had received a Noble and Cooley Horizon kit that after testing out , I just preferred to my Yamaha PHX kit . The N&C shells were lighter and the sound was warmer and I found the drums easier to dial in . The only issue was the finish was not really my favourite but the sound was fantastic . I bought the N&C kit and knew my Yamaha PHX days were numbered .

I assume Senior (DanRH) will have a cool story to relate as well for this thread .
View attachment 576557 View attachment 576558
I have been very lucky with my kit choices and have had some Awesome Kits.
The first kit I seriously saved for was a Noonan. short stack 12.13.14.16.22. and snare, this was in 2001, cost a couple of grand, I have had it up for sale but have always jumped back from pulling the trigger on letting it go. I still have it, but it's too nice to take into pubs so it'll probably be buried with me when I croak! I've sold a mint Premier Resonator -big regret but the biggest choke I've ever made was a YAMAHA OAK X CUSTOM - Black Sparkle. I got a three piece 14, 18 and 22. Loved it. Then I saw for sale 10, 12, 16 and 22 over in Wales. I bought it. So I had a double bass drum Monster that sounded like the door of Valhalla slamming. I swapped it for a DW Collectors five piece. What a mistake. I'm now going to push pins under my nails because I can never forgive myself for being such a mug.

YabaMTV

Reaction score
Did you ever scrap the dough together for what you thought was your dream kit ? How did it work out for you ? Do you still have it ?

I have owned a few kits that at one time I would have considered a dream kit , but the one that really sticks out for me was a Yamaha PHX kit . I sold two kits to fund this kit (one being my former well liked Yamaha Club Customs ) . The finish was chosen with input from my partner Marisa.
I had been a huge fan of Yamaha drums at that time and this being the flagship of Yamaha I was excited to get these drums .
9 months later they arrived . I literally took them from the shop to a gig the same day. I was surprised how heavy the shells were . Very thick shells , but the drums did not sound like your typical thick shell kit . Super resonant to the point of almost being too resonant if you could say that . The build quality is incredible , some of the finest bearing edges ever . The drums really projected . The drums were beautiful and very different from any kits I had previously. My local shop had received a Noble and Cooley Horizon kit that after testing out , I just preferred to my Yamaha PHX kit . The N&C shells were lighter and the sound was warmer and I found the drums easier to dial in . The only issue was the finish was not really my favourite but the sound was fantastic . I bought the N&C kit and knew my Yamaha PHX days were numbered .

I assume Senior (DanRH) will have a cool story to relate as well for this thread .
I own a few kits that are dream kits for me. One is my early production Noble & Cooley Horizon Series Kit. N&C told me it is the 8th Horizon Series Kit they ever made. The other is a Noble & Cooley Star Series Steam Bent Kit. I want the Noble & Cooley SS Classic Steam Bent Kit but never could find one in the price range I could afford which was about 7-8K at my best time. I can’t even afford that these days so this dream probably won’t ever come true. Fortunately, I have a friend that owns one of them and I have had the occasional fortune to play on it. Very thankful to the opportunity as it is a very special kit and I play in such a fashion that I was allowed to play the kit.

cashmanbashman

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are mine in the order I got my dream kit. I hate to think about the next one I go after.

DEEC1FB6-2AD6-45F4-8E10-C3180F0487B9.jpeg
4141C8CD-93DF-44BC-9A49-53FF8975E252.jpeg
FD5410AB-241D-4E81-9A69-974DD72C6B24.jpeg
7F39A0E1-3735-417C-8C37-F2AA2FF45BD3.jpeg
52AA5739-1262-4A17-93F5-D5E558841C2F.jpeg

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had high hopes of getting my dream kit, either a Mapex Saturn, Natal Originals,Premier Insignia or a Sonor 3007 ( in white) for my 50th but life has got in the way and there's little hope of it happening, in fact it looks like I'm going to need to sell what I have rather than buy.
Sorry to hear. Life can play funny tricks on us.

rymivo

Reaction score
Yep! I bought a used 1984 Tama Imperial Star kit. I was in middle school 1987. It came with a ton of Zildjian A series cymbals. I loved the way Tommy Aldridge, Mick Brown (Dokken), and Tommy Lee set thier kits up back in the day. I'm still a cymbal snob... but I don't get as thrilled on new kit's like I used too! I'm glad you started this feed. GREAT memories!!!!!!

rymivo

Reaction score
Here are mine in the order I got my dream kit. I hate to think about the next one I go after.

View attachment 576780 View attachment 576781 View attachment 576782 View attachment 576783

View attachment 576780 View attachment 576781 View attachment 576782 View attachment 576783 View attachment 576784
I dig your 'Tight' set-up. Nice and clean!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m fortunate to have some dreamy vintage kits... I like all of them. I bought all this stuff when I was single and life was much simpler. Lol. I still have them. I also like a Yamaha maple absolute in blue sparkle.

covinasurf

Reaction score
My dream kits.
First one - Slingerland 20/16/13? (Maybe a 12, I don’t remember). My first real kit. Stolen.
Second one - Rogers Big R, 22/12/13/16 with a COB Dynasonic. Stolen.
Next - Yamaha MCA, originally 18/10/12/14. Added a 16 and a 22 bass. Still have them and they aren’t going anywhere.
And finally - my latest dream kit Tama Starclassic Maples, will be 20/10/12/14/16 when the 10 and 16 show up. Puts a grin on my face every time I hit one.

JH

Mobey

Reaction score
Mine was a Yamaha 25th Anniversary Recording Custom….gone to a new home. Best sounding kit I ever owned.

Attachments

• D19E8059-C30E-43E7-81C6-07BBB6CDDD91.jpeg
    D19E8059-C30E-43E7-81C6-07BBB6CDDD91.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 16

LoneRider

Reaction score

Yes I did! 1968 Ludwig Psycadelic Red set. And Zildjian Cymbals, it Glowed in Black Light! Sold it in "69 when got sent to Vietnam. Never took any photos ,sad

sfmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started playing drums in the mid 90s on a Tama Rockstar.
Back then, my dream kit was a Tama Starclassic Maple, which I bought in 2003.
This was a very balanced and versatile kit. The thin maple shell makes it warm and resonant, and the diecast rims give it punches and articulation.
I sold it this year as I don’t like 12X9 toms and 22X18 bass drums anymore.

[/url
]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gFfbgs]Tama Starclassic Maple

My most recent dream kit was the Oriollo Bakar that JCKOriollo reviewed here:
https://www.drumforum.org/threads/the-official-oriollo-seamless-spun-copper-kit-review.156091/

I missed it the first time it was for sale, but I didn’t miss my chance the second time.
The look, the feel and the tone of this kit are fantastic.

Oriollo Bakar Spun Copper Drums

Last edited:

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably like many of you, my dream kit when I was a kid was an Octaplus :) But in pondering this question, I can honestly say that I really don't have a dream kit. Maybe a couple of dream snares, but there isn't anything kit-wise that keeps me up at night.