header.nohb.html

Did you ever own your “dream” kit ?

Tom Holder

Reaction score
Like many of you, I've had many "dream sets" over the years. In the summer of 1969, I saw a blue sparkle "Mercury" drum set in the window of a local music store. It was only $175, which seemed attainable to me. The owner of the store was a friend of my dad's, so he let me open an account and I began making meager monthly payments. I was only 13 years old at the time, so my income was derived from mowing lawns for neighbors at $5 per. By Christmas time, I had made about $70 in payments. To my delight, my parents bought the drum set for me for Christmas, and I used my "on account" money to buy some "Super" cymbals. My dream came true!
young drummer 1970.jpg

Stalky55

Reaction score
I first started drumming in 1968, by 1970 I dreamt of owning a Hayman kit. In 1973 at the age of 18 I had saved enough to buy the kit of my dreams, a midnight blue Hayman.
Went along to Drumbeat shop in Leicester, money in hand to buy it. Problem. Only had a silver ingot kit in stock! Shock horror!
So I settled on that as I wasn't walking away empty handed.
Played that kit from 1973 to 2008 at, in the region of, 1000+ gigs. It never let me down. I did, however, swap the original 26" bass for a 20" for ease of transport.
Next kit was a vintage Ludwig/Sonor which I played for a while until I ankered after another Hayman.
This time it was the gold ingot kept this for a short while until I happened across, you guessed it.......a midnight blue Hayman kit!
That was 2 years ago so never got to gig it because of the dreaded pandemic.
I'm 67 now and have recently been offered a short tour with one of my old bands this coming October.
In case you're wondering, they were called Flying Machine in USA and Pinkertons Colours in UK.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if this wasn’t someone’s dream kit, just look at it!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if this wasn’t someone’s dream kit, just look at it!

I'd rock that... Proudly!!!

Tony_H

Reaction score
Bought my Starclassic B/B Performer back in 2010 and still use it to this day. I still own my original Tama Rockstar, but I keep that at our rehearsal location so I don't have to lug drums around between gigs and band rehearsals.