Didn't expect this from my girlfriend-buy more!

Blisco

Reaction score
I received a new (used) cymbal today and she asked me what it was. I said a ride that I used to have. The recent Soul Side ride I bought isn't speaking to me so I decided to get one that I had from 2001-2015. HHX Dry Ride. Love them and found a nice deal on Reverb. Anyways, she says, " are you going to sell the other one?" I said, yes, I can only play one at a time. I don't keep what I don't use.

Then I get this: you have the room, why don't you keep them and while you're at it, get 5 or 6 to trade out when you want!

Who says this?

I recently purchase a used Copperphonic to try the gaff tape trick because my CM snare is wood and you don't want to do that to wood bearing edges. She asked if planned to sell the CM. I said yeah. Basically, she tried to talk me out of selling and actually buying more to mix it up. I'm flabbergasted! I've got a free pass to feed my GAS.

Anybody else's SO ever give you the green light?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes my wife Was that way every day up until marriage. She will start slow with putting the hammer down and eventually she will take your soul. Al Bundy was right and it’s not as funny as the show was.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Mine told me with a big smile “Buy whatever snare drums you want”. Only problem was she was just coming out of general anaesthetic at the time and now can’t remember saying it. Claims I was taking advantage of her!

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
When I bought a new kit, I told my wife I'd sell some gear to defray the cost.
"But not your other kit, right?" she asked.
Well, actually I was thinking of selling it. It would have helped in covering the expense of the new set, and we really didn't have room to keep another kit where we live.
"No, don't sell it. Those are the drums you had when we first met. I really like that set; the wood is so beautiful."
And she meant it. But just to keep me in my place, she often says: "You know, I never would have married you if you weren't a drummer."

vigilante397

Reaction score
Wow. So my wife loves that I'm a musician (also play guitar and piano) but hates that it requires me to spend money. I was reprimanded for buying a new set of heads "when the old ones don't even have any holes in them."

So short answer, no I've never been given the green light for gear :p

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while but my wife did tell me I needed a black beauty and I bought one in 2006 for my birthday....according to her I haven't needed anything since lol she's a good sport about it all though and laughed the time I told her I bought a cymbal so I'd have a box to ship a different cymbal that I had just sold.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Substitute "buy more" for "why don't you just go to sleep" from the old Eddie Murphy comedy routine.:)

Last edited:

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My ex used to tell me, "You can't have too many toms or too many cymbals," and bought me drum gear more than once. She also loved big long fills down several toms, so whenever she came to a gig I'd make sure to fit at least one in early in the evening.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
My girlfriend/fiancé who I've been with for 11 years would support me if I had a bad case of GAS. I know she would.

A few years after I met her I told how much I missed my drums cuz I lived in a condo and had no place to put 'em. She told me that she could clear out her kid's play room and I could buy some and put 'em in there. So, I bought two sets and a marimba. Now it's the "drum room" and not the "play room". Then I bought a couple high-end snares. Then she bought me a collectible Ludwig snare for my birthday.

About a year later her daughter was playing around on one of my sets. We noticed that she kept doing it. So, we asked if she wanted take lessons. She said "YEAH", and the rest history. That was about five years ago.

I cringe whenever I hear some your stories about how much your wife/girlfriend despises your playing or collecting.

Blisco

Reaction score
For the record, my ex-wife bought me gear as gifts and was super supportive of my GAS. I still play a 16" Fierce crash she bought me about 16 years ago. Been on every gig since. I do think she rolled her eyes at my silliness at times.

When we built our house, I asked for a drum room and got it. Due to budget constraints, I had to choose to spend the $ on the room or on paving the 500' driveway with blacktop. I never regretted the room but it sure sucked to snowblow gravel.

The big difference between the gf and the wife is I don't feel like I have to hide the boxes from UPS from the gf. :cool:

scottcyp

Reaction score
I just drove mine crazy going through 3 kits in a year trying to get to what I wanted. She was patient though and never said no. She was mostly just confused and bewildered why I wasn’t satisfied with what I had.

vigilante397

Reaction score
I cringe whenever I hear some your stories about how much your wife/girlfriend despises your playing or collecting.
I've got plenty of them I'm afraid :( From the get-go my wife said she loved that I'm a musician, came to gigs and had a good time. After a little while she started complaining about how much time I spent practicing with my band (one 2-hour practice per week). I'm only allowed to get gear if it's free or if I'm getting rid of other gear, and that's been a rule for a few years now. Lately she's started complaining about me practicing alone for 15 minutes when I get home from 9-hour days in the office.

We just celebrated our 8-year anniversary, and I'm realizing she likes the idea of music rather than music it itself.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Approval from your girlfriend? LoL

I guess this explains why I've only dated in my 51 years of existence.

Nobody tells me how to spend my money, just as I tell no-one how to spend theirs.

Present GF works 3 damn jobs and spends her pay as fast as it comes in.
She just can't understand how I was able to retire at 49 and now work when I want.

Latest posts