Didn't know Steve Ferrone could cut some mean cake

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Robbie McIntosh was a fine drummer and I still play a couple of his fills from AWB. "Cut The Cake" was a great comeback and it's my favourite Ferrone performance. I prefer his funk drumming. I was surprised he went on the road with all those rock bands. Had a family I guess. In case you haven't heard it, here's Robbie (isolated) in fine form:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Robbie McIntosh was a fine drummer and I still play a couple of his fills from AWB. "Cut The Cake" was a great comeback and it's my favourite Ferrone performance. I prefer his funk drumming. I was surprised he went on the road with all those rock bands. Had a family I guess. In case you haven't heard it, here's Robbie (isolated) in fine form:
God! I love his low-tuned dead snare sound. He still hits it with enough authority to make it cut through the mix, it doesn't feel sluggish as a lot of snare sounds of the same era did. And he had good feel too. Though his early death was tragic, it is part of a bigger "wheel of drumming" that gave the opportunity to SF to come through and shine. One can extrapolate and wonder what might have been for hours on end though

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but I just learned like a few days ago that SF whom I knew only as Stan Lynch's replacement in Tom Petty & The heartbreakers (huge fan) was also the drummer in Average White Band.

Pick up the pieces and Cut the cake are on my practice/play for fun playlist, as well as a few older and newer TP&THB songs. But they are woooooorlds appart in terms of groove and energy. I used to think (ignorantly) of mr Ferrone as the epitome of "less is more, straight and square" drummers so I was happily surprised to learn he could funk it up like a bad mutha and that he wasn't one dimensionnal after all. Ah! The joys of late night wiki sessions ... Kudos to him for exercising restrain and serving the songs with Petty et al. though :thumbright:

After that I've started to dig into his impressive body of work. Wow! If I had a backwards Kangol hat on, I would tip it to you Mister Ferrone:cool:
Steve is also a really nice guy!
steveferrone.jpg

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Steve plays with ( or used to anyway) with Oz Noy on occasion, I have seen them around NYC a few times. Steve does a good job, and it is great to hear him with the other guys in a small setting. if I recall he used to bring a green Gretsch set.
Right on Kevin! I've seen Oz play a million times with top drummers, lot's of great drum solos, etc. But when I saw him with Steve - no drum solos, which was ok because the entire room levitated from his groove. Never heard anything like it.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
God! I love his low-tuned dead snare sound. He still hits it with enough authority to make it cut through the mix, it doesn't feel sluggish as a lot of snare sounds of the same era did. And he had good feel too. Though his early death was tragic, it is part of a bigger "wheel of drumming" that gave the opportunity to SF to come through and shine. One can extrapolate and wonder what might have been for hours on end though
He was a smokin' hot drummer and it's a tragedy that he died the way he did. He and another member of the band were snorting what they though was cocaine, but it turned out to be heroin. He OD'd and like has happened a million times, they didn't call for an ambulance because it was at Cher's house and she was still on the Sonny and Cher bandwagon... and they didn't want to get in trouble or jeopardize the show... They let him die instead... Horrible.

beatman

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but I just learned like a few days ago that SF whom I knew only as Stan Lynch's replacement in Tom Petty & The heartbreakers (huge fan) was also the drummer in Average White Band.

Pick up the pieces and Cut the cake are on my practice/play for fun playlist, as well as a few older and newer TP&THB songs. But they are woooooorlds appart in terms of groove and energy. I used to think (ignorantly) of mr Ferrone as the epitome of "less is more, straight and square" drummers so I was happily surprised to learn he could funk it up like a bad mutha and that he wasn't one dimensionnal after all. Ah! The joys of late night wiki sessions ... Kudos to him for exercising restrain and serving the songs with Petty et al. though :thumbright:

After that I've started to dig into his impressive body of work. Wow! If I had a backwards Kangol hat on, I would tip it to you Mister Ferrone:cool:
Steve was actually the second drummer for AWB their first who was also supper funky and played on their first recording was killed in a car accident.I think his name was Robbie Macintosh

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
You also need a set of sleigh bells!
Hellz yeah I do!! I was just listening to it yesterday with my 11 years old daughter who started playing bass recently. We play a few simple grooves together like Ain't no sunshine, You really got me and a few others. I told her School boy crush would be a good one to learn next. And she answered with a smirk: "I'm ok with that if I can play the Santa part as well..."

Love that kid to death...

KevinD

Reaction score
Right on Kevin! I've seen Oz play a million times with top drummers, lot's of great drum solos, etc. But when I saw him with Steve - no drum solos, which was ok because the entire room levitated from his groove. Never heard anything like it.
Yup, I agree, it was a different kind of vibe when Steve was playing, but no less impressive. (think of all the amazing drummers Oz has played with)
I think we saw him together with Oz at the Bitter End once or twice didn't we? (back in the pre-lockdown days :)

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, I agree, it was a different kind of vibe when Steve was playing, but no less impressive. (think of all the amazing drummers Oz has played with)
I think we saw him together with Oz at the Bitter End once or twice didn't we? (back in the pre-lockdown days :)
I know we've seen some Oz gigs together - with Keith, Rocky Bryant (who also played with Average White Band) or Purdie? - I saw Steve with him back around 2013. Looking forward to someday seeing Oz again on his Monday night gigs...