header.nohb.html

Die Cast or S-hoop for 6 lug snare

Philaiy9

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one of those student Ludwig or Slingerland 3-ply snares with the 6 lug pattern due to their relative cheapness. I can tell from videos that the sound with the stock hoops won't be my cup of tea, but I figure if I change out the hoop(s) to something more rigid it would behave more like an 8 lug drum. I'm wondering if S-hoops are rigid enough for what I want to achieve, or if I need to splurge for an elusive 6 lug die cast hoop. Has anyone here ever done something like this? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
trying to "make a 6L" like an 8L...hmm..

why Bother. Just Love the 6
I have three 6L (out of my 8 snare drums)

"Lot of Wood in them there 6's"

In fact with steel hoops (as opposed to nickle over brass)
IT'S ALL WOOD------too much actually; until you get it out into a Room/gig..

the nickle over brass (sometimes as in Ludwig/WFL's case: original equipment)
Make the 6L sing like an Operatic Tenor or soprano..as in Look out Pavarotti!

6L can stand on their own
Just watch out esp in a 6.5 with steel hoops, for Over-woodiness!
it's huge
with 5" deep -steel- probably Ok

Last edited:

Commodore

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting one of those student Ludwig or Slingerland 3-ply snares with the 6 lug pattern due to their relative cheapness. I can tell from videos that the sound with the stock hoops won't be my cup of tea, but I figure if I change out the hoop(s) to something more rigid it would behave more like an 8 lug drum. I'm wondering if S-hoops are rigid enough for what I want to achieve, or if I need to splurge for an elusive 6 lug die cast hoop. Has anyone here ever done something like this? Would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
Six lug snares do sound more open.

Going to eight lugs only extends the time between having to re-tune

Six lug S-Hoops especially benefit Ludwig wood Pioneers' ...because of the match between the Ludwig rerings/ bearing edges and those hoop contours.

I have bunches of brass and wood 6 lug Ludwigs' with S-Hoops. Donno about the Slingerlands?!??

Attachments

• 3FF7AA64-0B17-400C-A3B6-1CE6FE56C2DB.jpeg
    3FF7AA64-0B17-400C-A3B6-1CE6FE56C2DB.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 13

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bought a set of S hoops years ago.
First gig I learned that most mic mounts won’t clip to them.
Neither mine nor the FOH could make anything work.
Took them off and stacked them on a shelf where they still sit.
Just my experience.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a sweet old snare, I could be talked into diecast. My Ludwig and Ludwig Standard needed new hoops, and I almost went with S Hoops because they were cheaper and sounded fairly close, but I ponied up for diecast instead. However, I would do everything I could to save the hoops it came with first because I am cheap ;)

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one slingerling six lug snare. Traditional S hoops (cob?). Still sounded awful. The few Gretch drums I've had with six lugs I've had diecast hoops and it makes a 1000% better difference. But those shells are much thinner than slingerland. I have a handful of pioneers as well, but they all sound great with cob/nob triple flange hoops. So there is no rhyme or reason to my experiences.

I do know that you can find S Hoops for cheap but good luck finding cheap diecasts. At least six holed. If you do, let me know where!

Last edited:

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out the thread discussing 6 lug Gretsch with die-cast hoops.

They sound great and it is probably easier and no more money to go that route.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have to agree with Joe. I have the original NOB on my 6 lug Keystone Pioneer and like it a lot. Added some warmth with an Earthtone head. I do understand the beefing up to a die cast as a good option. I'd think it'd sound great providing the edges are true.

Bigcode09

Reaction score
I like die cast hoops on snares, and I think they make getting a tight and crisp sound easier.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to try for a six lug Slingerland with an S-hoop batter and see how it goes. Those 6-lug Grestch snares are intriguing but I'm looking to keep this project around $200.

KCJazz

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to try for a six lug Slingerland with an S-hoop batter and see how it goes. Those 6-lug Grestch snares are intriguing but I'm looking to keep this project around $200.
I took Commodore's advice and added an S-hoop to my '66 Pioneer. The hoop's effect was transformative and really focuses the sound with Ambassodor heads. I have a '65 Pioneer with Bovid medium calf and thin goat heads that I'm not considering using an S-hoop on. So, I get two totally different, but very open, sounds from the two drums.

The difference an S-hoop makes on a 6 lug drum is really surprising!