header.nohb.html

Die-cast...Triple flange...Wood Snare Hoops and Why?

Fingerz

Reaction score
Just put Gibraltar die cast hoops on my 2010 COB Supraphonic and could not be happier. The Supra was shipped to me used, with Gib. maple hoops which I really like as well. One of my bands is country so side stick are very loud and focused with maple hoops. I moved these to my 5" Mapex snare

How about your choices and reasoning?

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have wood hoops on a number of snare drums and entire kits. My preference for snare drums, though, are single flange or band hoops since I play a lot with brushes and those hoops allow for a lot of resonance.

I wrote this about wood hoops about 12 years ago, so it sums up my thoughts about that type of hoop:

And the other hoops I mentioned above as a preference are described in this piece that I wrote:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I never seem to be happy with diecast. I bought some 3.0 triple flange for my bronze snare and it’s a great compromise. I play country as well and the xstick is comparable to diecast but the drum is a little bit more open feeling and sound. Most of my other snares are stock 2.3 except a 5” classic that I put some COBs from DFD on it and my 6.5 classic has wood Yamaha style hoops

spazapproved

Reaction score
I absolutely love a Die Cast hoop. It's my preferred hoop. I'm also a heavy hitter and rim shot drummer.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I never seem to be happy with diecast. I bought some 3.0 triple flange for my bronze snare and it’s a great compromise. I play country as well and the xstick is comparable to diecast but the drum is a little bit more open feeling and sound. Most of my other snares are stock 2.3 except a 5” classic that I put some COBs from DFD on it and my 6.5 classic has wood Yamaha style hoops
I purchased some snare drums with diecast hoops and had to get rid of them. They choked the life out of them. That said, I sat behind a few kits with diecast on the toms and actually liked them enough to consider outfitting one of my kits with those. For snare drums these days I've pretty much settled on Gretsch 302 hoops as my favorite. I upgraded a few Catalina snares with them and they made a world of difference.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased some snare drums with diecast hoops and had to get rid of them. They choked the life out of them. That said, I sat behind a few kits with diecast on the toms and actually liked them enough to consider outfitting one of my kits with those. For snare drums these days I've pretty much settled on Gretsch 302 hoops as my favorite. I upgraded a few Catalina snares with them and they made a world of difference.
Yeah I would like to get some 302’s for one snare. Maybe my 8 lug black beauty for something different

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love the looks of die cast over triple flange any day. Not every drum works with die cast, but all of my wood snares have them except for one.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like die-cast for a pronounced cross-rim sound; the overtones are also a bit contained. For heavy rimshot backbeats, though, I found I prefer more give; 2.3mm triple flange seem to be a good middle ground. 1.6mm triple flange are rather quiet on corss stick and rimshots, but that can come in handy in quiet contexts.
Wood hoops have their own sound; there are quite a feew different ones available by now.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Gibraltar wood hoops on a 6.5x14 brass snare for the country band I was in. It was killer! The cross stick was so clear and clean, and it helped to open up the sound of the drum a bit too, so back beats were really fat.

I also have a walnut stave snare with wood hoops that sound really nice as well.

I really don't like die cast hoops, though. I like a ringy snare drum, and also they just feel harsh to me.

At this point, most of my snares have different hoops, so it's pretty cool to have options.
5x14 steam bent maple - 2.3mm COB stick choppers
7x14 with a 5-ply Keller magnum shell - Gretsch 302
6.5x14 DaVille walnut stave - DaVille Thick Ply hoops in bubinga/walnut
6.5x14 Pork Pie - 2.3mm triple flange
6.5x15 Liberty - 2.3m triple flange

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I prefer triple flange, myself. Just feels better to me. I like the more open tone most of the time too.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have (factory) triple-flange hoops on my reissue Rogers wood Dyna-Sonic snare because that drum has a naturally dry sound and I want it to play as open as it can. I also don't want to restrict its stick response by using heavier hoops. I also like the slightly softer way the triple-flange hoops feel under my sticks on rim shots with that drum.

I have (factory) zinc die-cast hoops on my Ludwig brass-on-brass Black Beauty snare because they somewhat smooth out the drum's lively overtones (I do not use muffling on any of my snares or toms). I also like the more solid-sounding rimshots the die-cast hoops produce with that brass shell, although since my playing style involves lots and lots of rim shots the die-cast hoops take a heavy toll on my sticks.

I don't like the feel of wood counterhoops at all — I find they make it much more difficult for me to execute clean rim shots. I also really* dislike the way wood hoops look on any drum except for a bass drum.

*really, really, really

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I usually use triple flanged hoops on snares — the vast majority of my snares have them, but there are two notable exceptions.

I have a Ludwig Black Magic with die casts on it which naturally focus the overtone ring a bit and that drum just sounds wonderful to me. I also have a set of elegant Premier die casts on my #1 Summit snare (6.5x14) which produced a similar focusing effect that I like in that drum when paired with an Aquarian Modern Vintage medium coated head.

6A6FC42E-BB43-4588-9299-51A2227B24F2.jpeg

(I also have factory die cast hoops on my Slingerland Studio King set.)

Wood hoops LOOK really nice to me on some drums, but I’ve never enjoyed a snare with them on. So I stay away from buying them.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love diecast hoops. But I don’t hate any with the exception of 1.6 mm.

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying different hoops with different shell materials to try and understand/learn the difference myself. Currently I have nothing to add from experience because I am just starting. Here is what I have assembled so far based on what I think would be good pairings:
Ludwig Acrolite-Aluminum: S-Hoops
Yamaha Stage Custom-Birch: Maple
PDP ACE-NOB: 3.0 triple flange

I have not purchased any die cast to try, mainly due to cost.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like 3mm triple flanged and S hoops on snares. Agree that Diecasts can be nice on some snares but can also dry out others and make them harsh sounding.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I also have wood hoops on my snare and all drums of my bop kit. They seem to provide a "warm" tone as well as dry out my snare which I like and make for great cross stick options. They also look great in my opinion

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer aluminium die cast hoops on my current main snare.

They are light but solid. It gives a killer backbeat when playing rimshots, and a sweet crossstick sound even for a 13” (no wedges needed).

1665211677967.jpeg

Although once in its lifetime, it had Vintage Hoops.

1665211663517.jpeg

I do like regular die-cast hoops too on some drums.

On the Craviotto it gave the same feautures and still had enough ring.

1665212506084.png

Last edited:

GretschMan61

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends on the snare for me . I had a preference for quite some time for triple flange hoops , but I have and had snares with a variety of hoops . I am really liking the 302 hoops on a Gretsch Broadkaster . The S Hoops on my Sonor Protean snare are brilliant especially when used with the muffling rings that come with the snare .

I do find diecast hoops a bit too limiting on some snares but the cross stick sound is nice and thick which is its own unique vibe.

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love my die cast hoops, especially the Ludwig Twin Channel variant.

Long ago, I suspended a Ludwig TF and TCDC hoop by a string and struck them both. The TF produced a short dull clang while the TCDC sang out with a bright sustaining note, which instantly won me over.
Now of course, once assembled onto the shell those obvious stand-alone charateristics go right out the window. But, I do appreciate the timbre DC's produce on my drums due to the greater mass... and the side stick on a TCDC just produces a lush 'clack' that I can't seem to get with the TF hoops. So yes, I'd say I'm DC biased!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love my die cast hoops, especially the Ludwig Twin Channel variant.

Long ago, I suspended a Ludwig TF and TCDC hoop by a string and struck them both. The TF produced a short dull clang while the TCDC sang out with a bright sustaining note, which instantly won me over.
That would have been a chrome-over-steel tf hoops; chrome-over-brass ones ring out nicely as well.
Die-cast are mostly zinc, except for Yamaha's aluminum ones.

Reactions: Hop