Difference between Ludwig Black Beauty & Super Brass snares?

PhilAycockOfficial

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the LB408 8x14 Black Beauty. I really love 8x14's so I couldn't say no to this one. Another nice addition to my 8x14 Hammered bronze & Super Brass! After analyzing more sound files, it does sound different in comparison to the Super Brass. I wasn't totally convinced about buying the BB in 8x14 because of the possible equal sound to the Super Brass and they are also difficult to get but luckily Sweetwater received a few. I was making more of a comparison for the purpose of this thread but oh well. Now I'll own one! Major backorder on these from Ludwig. This will be my first Black Beauty!
We'll see how it is when it arrives:
View attachment 492850
Very nice drum a very helpful piece of advice.. DO NOT take Lacquer stripper to the shell if it gets scratched up down road.. It is a painted shell under nickel plating. I ruined my black beauty trying to take the clear coating off to repair it.. So now I must replate my 6.5 bronze black beauty.. a $280 dollar mistake to have it electro plated black nickel instead of being repainted

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Except as a brush drum right ?
Perhaps you're right about that, but it might handle brush work just fine. You should try one, Rick. It's a surprisingly versatile drum. I was never really a fan of deep dish 8" snares until I got this one. And I was skeptical...until I played it. I now love this one so much that I just traded a 6.5" Bronze Beauty for an 8" raw Copperphonic. Again, the secret sauce. It's got tone galore, with both depth and snap.
Personal opinion here, but I'm learning that quality metal snares lend themselves well to deeper depths, whereas I still haven't found a deep wood shell snare that I wanted to hang onto.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you're right about that, but it might handle brush work just fine. You should try one, Rick. It's a surprisingly versatile drum. I was never really a fan of deep dish 8" snares until I got this one. And I was skeptical...until I played it. I now love this one so much that I just traded a 6.5" Bronze Beauty for an 8" raw Copperphonic. Again, the secret sauce. It's got tone galore, with both depth and snap.
Personal opinion here, but I'm learning that quality metal snares lend themselves well to deeper depths, whereas I still haven't found a deep wood shell snare that I wanted to hang onto.
I was never a fan either until I picked up my first 8" snare. Now it's all I want and this Black Beauty will be my 4th 8x14. I haven't touched the other sized snares I have since I got into the 8's". They truly cover everything that you would want in a snare.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to gig my 6.5" BB tomorrow using a coated CS Dot - basically an Ambassador with the dot. It sounded good today....we'll see live and outdoors. I also added a muffler last year just because it needed one......

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I've used brushes on my 8" Copperphonic with Canopus 42-strand wires and some muffling on the batter head. It sounds really good.