header.nohb.html

Difference between Tama Starclassic Maple and Stars Maple

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
Aside from the finish options can someone explain the differences between the Starclassic Maples and the flagship Star Maples?

Are there significant sonic differences?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Slightly different shell construction. Star has re-rings, Starclassics do not. Stars may sound a bit shorter noted and focused while the Starclassics would sound a bit more open and "ringy."

The oil on the interiors of the Star drums doesn't have an effect on sound. Its just a nice finishing touch.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
The shell lay-up is different. Starclassics have 5mm, 6 ply shells. The Star maple is 5mm, 5-ply with reinforcing rings of the same lay-up. The five plies consist of a 2mm thick solid wood core ply, sandwiched between 1.5mm thick cross-laminated plies either side. The edges are also more rounded on the Star drums.

The Star Maple drums have a mellower, warmer sound with shorter sustain. Gorgeous drums.

As a Tama endorser I went for the Starclassic maple, purely for their sound. They are more explosive and have more attack which is more to my liking (and a lot cheaper). I also have a Star Walnut kit which has a dark and warm sound. I like to have the Starclassics on the other end of the sound spectrum; bright, lively and explosive.

IMG_0151%201_zps7hsmuguj.jpg

IMG_0189_zpsnblh01ip.jpg

slinginit

Reaction score
I appreciate the breakdown, Halldor. I'my looking for a modern sounding hogher end kit for everything but jazz. The Starclassic description is more appealing to what I want.

Just sold some original Superstars to my guitarist. Great drums but I want a different sound and sizes. Also have 70s Ludwigs that I'll be selling soon. It's important that I don't spend time and $$$$ to arrive where I started.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your mission, hope you find something you like.

To my ears the Starclassic maples are the perfect maple drums. Easy to tune, lots of projection and very lively which is easy to control with head choices and/or muffling. They sound great in any tuning range so if you turn bop geek in a couple o'years they will handle that too ;-)

slinginit

Reaction score
Good to know. I'm keeping the 1965 Slingerlands in my avatar for that nuanced vintage vibe. I've no doubt about Starclassic Maples performing well in jazz tunings. Considering my Luds are 1972, I definitely want a strong delineation from vintage nuance to full modern projection.

slinginit

Reaction score
What heads do you use? Have you played much on the Starclassic birch/bubinga? Those have captured my attention as well. I'm also looking into sizes 10,12,14,16 with either a 20 or 22 BD. I'm not fond of 18" depth, but 14 or 16 is fine.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
slinginit said:
What heads do you use? Have you played much on the Starclassic birch/bubinga? Those have captured my attention as well. I'm also looking into sizes 10,12,14,16 with either a 20 or 22 BD. I'm not fond of 18" depth, but 14 or 16 is fine.
For the SCM´s I´m using coated Remo Emperors over clear Amassadors.

Yes, I did have a B/B kit a few years back. Great drums, especially considering the price. Great attack and tone. But, like Murat said in the other thread you may find it difficult (i.e.; impossible) to find a shell pack with a 20" bass. You would have to order it individually. Lead time is up to 5 months.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
slinginit said:
Good to know. I'm keeping the 1965 Slingerlands in my avatar for that nuanced vintage vibe. I've no doubt about Starclassic Maples performing well in jazz tunings. Considering my Luds are 1972, I definitely want a strong delineation from vintage nuance to full modern projection.
The Starclassic Maples are nothing similar to vintage Ludwigs. We´re talking LOTS of projection here, heavy attack and power and IMO drums that fit all situations when tuned to the occasion. If I had to choose between the B/B´s and the Maples I´d take the Maples any day. Plus they have more sizes to choose from. But, they cost a bit more.

sfmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama Starclassic B/B are excellent drums but, for me, they don’t have the versatility of the Starclassic Maple.

My Starclassic Maple is a very balanced and versatile kit.
The thin maple shell makes it warm and resonant and the diecast rims gives it punch and articulation.
It’s probably my most versatile kit.

My kit has G1 Coated/G1 Clear on the toms and G14 Coated/G1 Clear on the floor tom.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Good luck with your mission, hope you find something you like.

To my ears the Starclassic maples are the perfect maple drums. Easy to tune, lots of projection and very lively which is easy to control with head choices and/or muffling. They sound great in any tuning range so if you turn bop geek in a couple o'years they will handle that too ;-)
Do you have an opinion on the Starclassic Walnut / Birch kit? I believe it's Scandanavian Birch and American Black Walnut - to which I believe are the best grade of both wood species?

Curious what they sound like to your ears (I have listened to many online) compared to the maple kit? Mainly, do you feel they project well in comparison? Thinking no mics or overheads and outer bass drum mic only.

I believe the fundamental sounds great - I tune high - right up to where the shell is fully involved yet not impeding on resonance. I am really trying to get a feel from folks that have gigged the Walnut Birch shell - is is clear and projecting enough for your needs?

Rivot

Reaction score
The Starclassics are nice sounding drums but why do the tom mounts flop so much very flimsy for a high end kit

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Starclassics are nice sounding drums but why do the tom mounts flop so much very flimsy for a high end kit

Love the tom mounts. Haven´t noticed any "flopping" (whatever that means... I do have a pair of flip flops though ;) ).

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do you have an opinion on the Starclassic Walnut / Birch kit? I believe it's Scandanavian Birch and American Black Walnut - to which I believe are the best grade of both wood species?

Curious what they sound like to your ears (I have listened to many online) compared to the maple kit? Mainly, do you feel they project well in comparison? Thinking no mics or overheads and outer bass drum mic only.

I believe the fundamental sounds great - I tune high - right up to where the shell is fully involved yet not impeding on resonance. I am really trying to get a feel from folks that have gigged the Walnut Birch shell - is is clear and projecting enough for your needs?

I think the W/B are great kits. More focused than the Maple. SC Maple has more projection and is livelier.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have played several maple kits in various acoustical environments and never found them to be lacking. I remember a past instructor telling me, 'nothing fills up a room like maple.'

I guess it's the clarity of the birch shell that people are referencing when they state birch shells 'project better,' i.e., the shell produces more high frequencies which are easier to pick out of the sonic garden present with electrified, brass, other instruments competing for that space.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have played several maple kits in various acoustical environments and never found them to be lacking. I remember a past instructor telling me, 'nothing fills up a room like maple.'

skelt101

Reaction score
It looks like the bearing edges are different between the two lines. Star has a rounder peak that is further inward.