header.nohb.html

Differences between Regal Tip Nylon - Wood 5A

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've noticed there seems to be some differences between the Regal Tip 5A wood and nylon models.

The tip on the nylon is a good bit smaller than the wood tip and the shoulder is also narrower on the nylon version.

Just wondering how they compare feel-wise ?

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak directly to the RT 5A as I never played that stick with any regularity, but I can confirm the exact same observations in the JAZZ model. I have always noticed a marked difference between the wood and nylon models in feel and balance point. The taper is indeed thinner and longer on the nylon version thus moving the fulcrum back on the stick a little more while the wood model feels much more front heavy (and it's not the weight of the mass from the tip it's self) creating a bit more aggressive posture. I always like what both versions brought to the table and looked at them as different sticks, not just a different tip. Have plenty at the moment but dread the day they go the way of my beloved COMBOS.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a moot point now , why with Regal Tip’s long death spiral happening .

Back to the topic at hand , it was always interesting to me how different Regal Tip made their 5a nylon from the wood tip . The nylon has a long taper and skinny neck . The wood tip has a thicker neck , larger tip and shorter taper. Personally I prefer the feel of the nylon tip over the wood tip .

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I cannot speak directly to the RT 5A as I never played that stick with any regularity, but I can confirm the exact same observations in the JAZZ model. I have always noticed a marked difference between the wood and nylon models in feel and balance point. The taper is indeed thinner and longer on the nylon version thus moving the fulcrum back on the stick a little more while the wood model feels much more front heavy (and it's not the weight of the mass from the tip it's self) creating a bit more aggressive posture. I always like what both versions brought to the table and looked at them as different sticks, not just a different tip. Have plenty at the moment but dread the day they go the way of my beloved COMBOS.

This man knows his Regal Tips. I would add that sanding the tips just to get the clear coat off the wood is awesome and helps to alleviate the huge tip problem. They tend to balance out faster that way,

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a pretty dedicated RT player for years, and their nylon tip versions are quite different from their wood tip versions. I've used the Jazz, 5A, Rock and 5B in both nylon and wood, and the JC is still my go-to stick (I bought up a ton of them when they were discontinued).

Overall, the nylon versions do indeed have a longer taper and thinner neck. In the case of the Rock model, the taper is more of a sloping taper on the nylon, and a short regular taper on the wood. The Vater Stewart Copeland stick is their version of the Regal Tip Rock wood, which was Copeland's stick of choice for many years.

As for the 5A, the wood version has much less rebound and a beefier overall feel. Both are 0.580", but the wood model has a thicker neck, large tip, and shorter taper. To me, the feel is closer to a pair of Vater H-220 that I had. The nylon tip version on the other had, has a longer taper and smaller tip. They are much closer in feel to Peter Erskine Ride Stick or the Vater Jazz Ride - lot's of rebound, softer feel, lower volume.

In short, the wood version makes a great rock stick, and the nylon version makes a great jazz stick.

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
This was the "classic" way of doing nylon tips. Many companies back in the 60's & 70's had much thinner necks on the nylon tip versions of their sticks. It provided better rebound. It wasn't until the 80's when everyone started making larger nylon sticks, hence the introduction of the Quantum 1000 & 3000, by Regal, and a variety of models by Vic & Pro Mark at the time.

For a short time in the early 2000's Regal did offer versions of the 7A, 5A, 5B models with wider necks and larger tips, meant to be a better counterpart to the wood tip versions, but it didn't catch on.

Last edited: