Diggin' on Little Feat

DWFunk

Reaction score
I recently ran across Little Feat's "Join The Band" album which was probably Richie Hayward's last recording before succumbing to the illness that eventually took his life. Man, that cat could really groove. I always loved the way he had that slinky Nawlins/Zigaboo feel to his playing. Truly one of the greats and sorely missed.

Any Feat fans here?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never paid any attention to Little Feet or Hayward until I saw a documentary on them about two years ago. I was luke warm on the whole thing until they got to the part where Lowell George lost control of the band to the keyboardist Bill Payne, who was being heavily influenced at that time by Weather Report and Mahavishnu. They showed several extended clips sans George of Little Feet and specifically Hayward playing their new Fusion inspired music and they were just killing it. It was then that I knew Hayward was a bad dude on the drums.

Last edited:

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was kinda late to the Little Feet party but was totally immersed in the Let It Roll album, especially Hate to Loose Your Lovin, One Clear Moment, and the title track. I practiced to those tunes a lot back in the day.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Saw the tour following the release of Waiting for Columbus from the sixth row and in a cloud of pot smoke. They were badass and Richie was great - not another like him!

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw them open for
The Neville Brothers
on a circular rotating stage
(in the round).
.. that was a
party atmosphere.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
One of my top 5 favorite bands! Hayward was a huge influence on me, and the musicianship in the whole band is usually under-rated. Saw them several times in the 80s. Paul Barrerre just passed away about a week or so ago as well, which is a loss. Just a great band executing great songs with skill and humor.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went thru a pretty big LF phase a few years back...killer stuff even tho it may not be for everyone. I highly recommend the 1996 live album Neon Park for an updated version of Waiting for Columbus. I met RH once at a drum clinic in 1991 and he was the coolest guy ever! Signed a Sabian baseball cap for me which I still have.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Paul Barrerre just passed away about a week or so ago as well, which is a loss.
Didn't know this and very sorry to hear. RIP

One of my favorite bands of all time. Was lucky to see them twice with Lowell George, both times with the TOP horns. Seriously smokin' band. Met them all once after Lowell passed away at a place called the Recher Theatre in Towson, MD and got to spend some time talking with Richie Hayward. What a great experience.

Johnny K

Reaction score
Thank for putting LF ear worms in my head. We are ae already covering On The Way Down. I have been playing and singing Willin on my acoustic guitars for the past week. I think I'll bring that one to our little blues trio.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I was a late comer to the Feat but love all eras of their stuff.
My favorite covers I've played are Let It Roll, Daily Grind, Shake Me Up along with Willin' and Dixie Chicken which I've played in several bands. The first time I played Dixie Chicken at a jam, not having heard it before, I played it as a shuffle, not the only Feat tune that's like that, like a halftime blues. Daily Grind had me and the bassman sweatin' before we got it right, if you cover a Richie part, you've learned something!

Johnny K

Reaction score
If we had the pieces, I would love to cover songs like Spanish Moon, Old Folks Boogie, Fat Man In The Bath Tub and Time Loves A Hero. Need keys and/or horns for those and we aint got 'em. We're adding Dixie Chicken, but its gonna be missing the NO style funearl march bridge part.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
If we had the pieces, I would love to cover songs like Spanish Moon, Old Folks Boogie, Fat Man In The Bath Tub and Time Loves A Hero. Need keys and/or horns for those and we aint got 'em. We're adding Dixie Chicken, but its gonna be missing the NO style funearl march bridge part.
Don’t forget Rock & Roll Doctor!

gbow

Reaction score
Richie was a big influence on me, what a great drummer. I am partial to the Craig Fuller albums, Let it Roll, Representing the Mambo, and Shake me Up. But I also loved the old LG stuff as well.

Richie just had a sneaky way of making complicated parts seem effortless. What a loss to the drumming community.

gabo

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Richie was a big influence on me, what a great drummer. I am partial to the Craig Fuller albums, Let it Roll, Representing the Mambo, and Shake me Up. But I also loved the old LG stuff as well.

Richie just had a sneaky way of making complicated parts seem effortless. What a loss to the drumming community.

gabo
Oh Absolutely!! RH was an ALL TIME GREAT in my opinion!! He was a genius, really, in what he was able to come up with and lay down with deceptive ease. Some of LF sounds easy--until you try to play it like RH!!

Latest posts