Digital Piano or Keyboard for 14 year old beginner?

Moonman

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm trying to help a friend find a reasonably priced (I know that's relative), and decent quality instrument for Christmas. The person receiving the gift is a 14 year old boy that "wants to learn the piano and has asked for lessons for the past year" and isn't aware of any of the possibilities keyboards or synthesizers have to offer. His grandparents are making the purchase and his parents don't want a grand piano in their house.

I'm uncertain which direction to point them. I'm pretty sure they'd appreciate something fairly portable, not necessarily to take out of the house, but something that could move from the living room to bedroom without too much trouble.

I asked a keyboard player in our band and then realized how much I didn't know when I was asked a couple obvious questions like:
"Does he want a simple digital piano or a keyboard with a couple bells and whistles (multiple voices, sequencer) and how much do they want to spend?"

They can afford something on the nicer end, but don't want to give the boy a new car before he's worked long enough to appreciate earning it on his own, so to speak. I've seen things for a couple hundred to a couple thousand and my best guess is under $1,000 and probably $500 if that would provide something he could use for a long time and upgrade if he truly became passionate about it.

If you have any advice or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I grabbed a Yamaha YDP-101 for the wife years ago. She absolutely loves it.
The sound is nice and the keys feel good. It has a few instruments on it. But the piano sound is particularly pleasant.
Most of the typical mid-level keyboards have a good sound these days. You really can't go wrong unless you do the entry level goofy portable thing.

71M+Hgkwv0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Moonman

Reaction score
I grabbed a Yamaha YDP-101 for the wife years ago. She absolutely loves it.
The sound is nice and the keys feel good. It has a few instruments on it. But the piano sound is particularly pleasant.
Most of the typical mid-level keyboards have a good sound these days. You really can't go wrong unless you do the entry level goofy portable thing.

View attachment 420342
This very helpful -- thank you!

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with Mcjnic...

Only thing I would add, if he specifically wants a "piano" and not just a digital keyboard, is get something with weighted keys or "piano action".

That way if he ever puts his hands on a real piano he will have some idea of how they feel.

I recently picked up a Casio PX-S1000 (usually $599 street, but I got mine for $499 as a Guitar Center special buy). Amazon link-

I don't really play myself, but several people I know who have played it said it is the best in it's price range they have tried-particularly the keyboard.

But again, it would be hard to go wrong with any of the major players at the $500 mark.

Enjoy your quest!

Latest posts