Dipping sticks

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Safe for work.

I go middle of the road with sticks, 2b promark hickory and I can chip them up a bit. I know a lot of drummers dip the handles for grip and that's not what I'm inquiring, I never had a problem with grip and I'm comfortable with bare wood. Tips, I've seen stick tips that look like they're dipped and googled a little and didn't come up with anything.

Is that a thing to dip stick tips and is there any real effect to it?

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Hey, I think I've heard in the past about using clear finger nail polish on wood tips....I've always wanted to try it.

Cheers and blessings, Trey

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a thread about stick modifications a few weeks back that mentioned using Crazy Glue on the tips to preserve them. Sounded interesting to me but Crazy Glue is a rather thick version of CA glue. So I'm thinking it's messy and you end up with just coating the tip as opposed to infusing the wood. There are thin versions of CA but relatively expensive especially when you add the activator.

So searching around I found PC-Petrifier on Amazon for a few bucks. It is typically used to fix dry rot by penetrating and hardening the wood. So I gave it a shot. Unfortunately with no gigs it might take me a while to decide if it really makes much difference. But on paper it sounds promising.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I experimented with dipping a pair of wooden tip sticks in polyurethane. All it did was make marks on the cymbals. Maybe epoxy would be harder and better but my guess is the results would be comparable.

KevinD

Reaction score
I just stumbled across this thread. As far as dipping stick tips to try and prolong their life, I can second the use of PC Wood Petrifier.

I dipped the tips of my sticks up to about to the wear area of the shoulder and let sit for 48 hrs to cure. (I am one of those guys that wears the sticks out on the HH edge)

It absorbed pretty well and I would say that it definitely slowed the process of the shoulders wearing down, it may have prolonged the life of the tips themselves too.

The key is getting it to penetrate--which isn't too hard to do anyway.
For older sticks with some wear I just dipped them in a container and let them sit in there overnight (not sure if that much time is really needed) Pretty much the same with brand new sticks that were finished, but I roughed them up a bit with 80-100 grit sandpaper to make the surface easier to penetrate.

It soaks in and noticeably hardens (would probably work well as a treatment on the interior of shells)

Not a total miracle..sticks are going to wear out one way or another eventually but overall, but I would say it was effective.
I don't recall having any issues with it flaking off or leaving any residue on my heads or cymbals.

I ended up using the rest of my bottle on a couple of home DIY projects where I found it useful as well (it will harden and keep bad wood together but not for structural purposes) so I'm out of it now, but I would use it again. Will probably order some soon.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the same about a month ago with the same results. Miracle, maybe, maybe not. But it only cost $6 to do all my sticks. Amazon offers a smaller bottle.

I’ll report again in a year or two

Latest posts