Dire Straits 'Calling Elvis'

Whitten

Reaction score
Trying to make videos. Too nervous at the moment, which also reflects in the playing (sadly).
Jeff Porcaro was a hero of mine and that was a big factor in my agreeing to play the loooong 'On Every Street' tour - the opportunity to try and emulate his fantastic drumming in front of an audience.
Also includes Noble & Cooley and Istanbul Agop content.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trying to make videos. Too nervous at the moment, which also reflects in the playing (sadly).
Jeff Porcaro was a hero of mine and that was a big factor in my agreeing to play the loooong 'On Every Street' tour - the opportunity to try and emulate his fantastic drumming in front of an audience.
Also includes Noble & Cooley and Istanbul Agop content.
Nice demo! FYI, the Bo Diddley beat is just a 3/2 son clave.

Whitten

Reaction score
I know, but you can't get every bit of info into a video, well it's a struggle for me - forgetting what I want to say etc...

Tarkus

Reaction score
Dear Chris

The video is fantastic, especially your drum sound.

I just registered to this forum today, to help somebody on a 80s DW. Now, this guy deleted his post, and I am writing to one of my drum heroes. Can't believe it.

The 'On the night' CD, I took more than once just because of your opening drumming. Instantly good mood. The second highlight on the CD (for me) is 'Private Investigations'. The tension you (and the whole band) produced by 'playing nothing' is phenomenal.

Did you play a Noble & Cooley kit on the original recordings, too? Your actual tom tom sounds are very close.

Greetings from Germany
Markus (hobby drummer, 1st post here)

Mayan

Reaction score
Couldn’t hear any nerves. Dig the woodland camo shirt by the way.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed that very much Chris. Your drums sound great too. If I may ask, how did you end up on the On Every Street tour?

This from wikipedia.
"It lasted from 23 August 1991 to 9 October 1992, and included 229 shows in 19 countries throughout Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand. The world tour sold 7.1 million tickets."

Quite amazing! Not many drummer in the world experience a tour like that.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My goodness what an amazing interview Chris and i'm only half way through. Great inside stories about the scene in England that I knew nothing about. Pardon my ignorance, and of course the McCartney stuff is epic!!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great snare sound and playing......thank you for sharing, sir! My dad and sister went to that tour at the LA Forum - I wish I did....

I did a cover of Water of Love in a duet with a high school guitarist - that was a tough song! I butchered it but it sounded "okay" to the crowd. Luckily, the band I am in (a kid's guitar group ages 8 - 18) had our first set on the main stage at a local outdoor festival and we had a smaller 2nd set on a side stage. One of the better kids had requested playing the song and I had a week to learn it......considering I had never heard it, I think it went well. I was more blown away that the 14 year old was more familiar with DS's first album than I was!

Whitten

Reaction score
Enjoyed that very much Chris. Your drums sound great too. If I may ask, how did you end up on the On Every Street tour?
Part of this is my personal take, part second hand.
I am told Mark of course asked Jeff to do the tour. He said no. Jeff was a busy studio player and obviously committed to Toto. The Straits tour being well over one year in length was I'm sure a barrier to many. They then asked Manu, who also played on the album. He said no.
Dire Straits manager later told me Mark and John had seen me play live with McCartney. We were both on the bill at the Knebworth music therapy show around June 1990. They offered me the DS tour gig, but I had just finished three years with McCartney and yes I was daunted by the 18 month tour schedule. I said no thanks. I had three albums in the charts (Swing Out Sister, World Party and Edie Brickell) and wanted to do more studio work.
They asked me again and asked if I could go down to the studio (Air, Oxford Street) and play through the new album. My manager at the time said - go and see how it works out. So it was kind of an audition. Interesting in fact. They were mixing the 'On Every Street' album.
So they played down the songs with Jeff and Manu's drumming. Then they muted the drum tracks and had me play my drums along.
At the end they offered me the tour again. After much towing and froing over the following days, my manager just kept saying I would be mad to turn it down, so I agreed. I was already aware Mark had a reputation for being a perfectionist, AND particularly didn't like drummers.
So yeah, the rehearsals were difficult and the tour pretty brutal. So much so that I retired from drumming at it's conclusion.
I DID learn a lot. Attention to detail, dynamics, how to play in different stylers etc.. I was no doubt a much better drummer by the end of it, but was so sick of drums I didn't want to see another drum kit for years afterwards.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Yes, but their Horizon Series.
Thanks for the kind comments.
Thanks for responding.

Just looked up the original video of the song: a 30 years flashback. All made in puppets and the drumkit looks already Noble&Coolish.

Btw: Interesting stories and some very deep thoughts in the soundcloud interview. Didn't expect that.
Greetings from Germany
Markus

Whitten

Reaction score
Yeah, they were the Thunderbirds 'Supermarionation' puppets. Actually a huge honour.
Yes, they took multiple photographs of my Noble & Cooley Horizon drums, plus detailed measurements. All the puppets and gear are in a storage unit somewhere I think.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
if anyone wants to see how hard physically demanding
just google Dire Straits Nimes 1992
Chris working the entire 2 hr. show

Last edited:

Whitten

Reaction score
And I was messed up after each show. :confused2:

That's because the stage designer put the drums 20ft in the air at the back right of the stage and at the first production rehearsal Mark and John (the band's founders) said 1) they couldn't hear the drums and 2) they couldn''t feel any energy from the drums. So I ended up slamming the kit at every show from then on.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome video Chris thanks for sharing. I love this song. I got into Dire Straits back when Money for Nothing came out way way back but I was a kid and didn't know enough to get as deep into DS as I should have. Rediscovered them probably about time you were playing with them as I was playing country music by then and there's a lot of cross over with their music. I didn't know until about 5 years ago that Jeff played on one of their albums.

I found a drum cover of Calling Elvis and the drummer is playing the Hi Hat Train part between the hats and snare. All Rights on hat with the up beat accent and ghosts on the snare with the left. It's a cool groove. I started doing it at the intro to one of our train songs.

Here you are in 1992

Whitten

Reaction score
I found a drum cover of Calling Elvis and the drummer is playing the Hi Hat Train part between the hats and snare.
I find with most drum covers they aren't playing the right parts, and usually too many fills too many cymbal crashes. On that video he's kind of improvising the tom groove with his two rack toms. I guess it's more like 'my version' of a song, not recreating the original.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I find with most drum covers they aren't playing the right parts, and usually too many fills too many cymbal crashes. On that video he's kind of improvising the tom groove with his two rack toms. I guess it's more like 'my version' of a song, not recreating the original.
Yeah the main thing I got was the train part though I thought was a cool compromise when trying to cover the over dub brush part.