Dire Straits - Live - Paul Franklin on steel and Whitten on drums!

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good Lord I love everything about this. If I hadn't picked up a pair of drumsticks as a kid I would have loved to end up on pedal steel. What a great axe.

Last edited:

Rick Jones1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Franklin is one of the two or three best steel guitar players to ever play. And this version of the band is KILLING it. Imagine going to a show in 1922 and seeing this level of musicianship. This entire album is outstanding (On The Night)

Whitten is slamming on his Nobel & Cooleys

I agree, Paul sounds great and he is one of the top steel players. Check out his credits on Allmusic.com : https://www.allmusic.com/artist/paul-franklin-mn0000030478/credits

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
It's such a coincidence you posted that. I'm studying E9 pedal steel using paulfranklinmethod.com. I didn't notice Paul Franklin a few years ago when I watched that Walk of Life video because someone mentioned Chris was drumming in it.

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
no surprise reading this guys bio… started on guitar and moved to steel… I have learned that steel players are just incredibly talented all around musicians; the instrument demands a very high musical acumen

“Along the way, he not only mastered the steel guitar, but also the electric guitar, the pedal steel guitar, the slide guitar, the Dobro, and the pedal Dobro. He has even been known to accompany on the fiddle or drums.”

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like that the music is so upbeat and rockin, and the gigantic audience is going insane for it.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
sorry I didn’t know you were joking, but glad someone started a thread on that other guy; just wow

and give Chris W his due

my apologies for misreading your post, sometimes, maybe often times, I can’t tell; that’s my shortcomings

now you owe me a swift kick in both shins

Joe can be mis-read?

Next you'll tell us water is wet.

:p

Paradiddle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here is Paul absolutely killing it. Plus the wonderful Eddie Bayers on drums.