header.nohb.html

Direct Drive Nirvana

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After 30 years of using variations of the Camco/DW strap and chain driven pedals, I recently switched to Yamaha direct drive pedals. OMG. The pedal just disappears. How did the DW/Camco design become the standard? They simply do not register every strike. Sort of like a noise gate. Only the loudest hits get through. The Yamaha direct drive is like tapping on the floor without a pedal.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Could you elaborate? I have no trouble playing soft and loud with a circular cam.
I did notice different, maybe more exaggerated dynamics with say a Speed King.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love direct drive pedals, probably because I learned to play on one so I just got spoiled by the feel. Nowadays I use a strap drive, but really nothing beats a direct drive.

Reaction score
To me nothing beats these Flying Dragon direct drive model.

I have had them all.

Plastic strap, leather strap, single chain, double chain, machined direct drive, BOA (close second for me), and I keep coming back to these.

3ED70B68-46F7-45C1-8E87-D3194DB4E791.jpeg

Tapping on the floor sounds like a setting not properly adjusted.

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me nothing beats these Flying Dragon direct drive model.

I have had them all.

Plastic strap, leather strap, single chain, double chain, machined direct drive, BOA (close second for me), and I keep coming back to these.

View attachment 587979

Tapping on the floor sounds like a setting not properly adjusted.
+1
Picked up one of these (FP9400?) when they first came out and absolutely love it.
Direct drive... When you put your foot down you put your foot Down!

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
... The Yamaha direct drive is like tapping on the floor without a pedal.
Every drummer's different, which is why there are so many different pedals available. The pedals that most feel to me as if I'm playing "on the floor without a pedal" are my DW9000s, which are double-chain drive. They're the best match for the way my feet work*.

*Old and cranky, like the rest of me...

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Tama DynaSync, but could never make a Trick or Axis feel anything but anemic. Not a knock against those pedals/brands, since I know people who get great results with them. Just saying not all direct drives are created equal.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love my Tama DynaSync, but could never make a Trick or Axis feel anything but anemic. Not a knock against those pedals/brands, since I know people who get great results with them. Just saying not all direct drives are created equal.
I had the same experience with Axis. Great pedal but too light for me. But then again they are made for speed players where power isn’t as high in the list.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I love my speed king, my pearl demonator is probably one of the best I've ever used. The dw direct drive MFG(very expensive pedal) felt very odd, almost too smooth, wasn't impressed for the price at all. I've really wanted to try a Yamaha direct drive and a tama dyna sync, I've heard really good things! But like was stated before, they're not all created equal.

rsmittee

Reaction score
I recently revisited my Yamaha DFP9500D because I got roped into doing some double bass work. They weren't my favorites, and I now use a Speed Cobra as my primary pedal. But since doing all this double stuff, I've developed a whole new appreciation for them. My initial luke warm reaction might've been a case of "It's the archer, not the arrow." I was thinking about selling them, but not anymore.

Hypercaffium

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own a Yamaha FP9500C and never tried the strap. I also never adjusted anything (which I usually do). I guess I liked it out of the box. I'm pretty curious now.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the same experience with Axis. Great pedal but too light for me. But then again they are made for speed players where power isn’t as high in the list.

The light feel of the Axis is what makes it ideal for me . I hate the feel of DW pedals for the heavy feel they have . I like the light quick feel of the Axis (and the Sonor Perfect Balance).

I have owned the Yamaha Direct drive pedals and I liked them as well . Yamaha pedals are woefully underrated pedals . Too bad as they are a real bargain in the drum world .

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The light feel of the Axis is what makes it ideal for me . I hate the feel of DW pedals for the heavy feel they have . I like the light quick feel of the Axis (and the Sonor Perfect Balance).

I have owned the Yamaha Direct drive pedals and I liked them as well . Yamaha pedals are woefully underrated pedals . Too bad as they are a real bargain in the drum world .
I'm not big on DW either. I have one and used it for about 3 or 4 years, but I much prefer my Tama pedals.

I haven't played a Yamaha pedal in more than 20 years, but I always liked them.