Direct Drive or Chain

pizzi

Reaction score
Using the new Yamaha FP9. Double pedal. I bought the direct dr [kinda by mistake] but was curious about thoughts on the difference between direct and chain and even just the Yamaha pedal itself. On previous posts most people where talking about the DW 900 [which i also bought.... but not sure i like it either.....] pretty sure its me thats the issue, but would be nice to know how others felt about the Yamaha pedal..

Reaction score
Man, I wanted to love direct drive but wasn't for me. I had the trick pro 1-v, amazingly engineered and beautiful pedal but just felt to rigid to me.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always had chain drives but was always curious about direct drive. A few months ago I took the plunge and bought the Gibraltar direct drive doubles. Took a bit of getting used to but I will never go back to chains. The "zero flex" immediate response is awesome. It's also whisper quiet and I'm pretty sure that they will last longer than chains.

BNK

Reaction score
I tried the Yamaha direct drive many, many years ago and found it almost painful to use if you bury the beater.

Now that I've learned to unbury the beater after 30+ years I love my Yamaha FP9 direct drive single pedal. You do need excellent foot control and accuracy to fully utilize the benefit of direct drive but it will pay off in the end. Makes your playing cleaner I find and the immediate response really keeps your doubles and triplets tight.

I haven't used my DW 5000 chain drive pedal since I clamped the FP9 onto my set, just too heavy feeling and sluggish after using the FP9. I'd say give the direct drive a chance and you'll start to notice the benefits, most people give up too soon and will never know what they're missing.

pizzi

Reaction score
thank you. yea i did take them off and switch to the DW,s a few time. but finally put yamaha,s back on and been sticking with them. but i am struggling a bit. i have always ed chain drive, didnt play for a lot of years and now starting over again was just wondering how much different the direct dr is.. thank you for your response.

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really can't compare and contrast between the two types of drives, I went from my Speed King to a Yamaha FP9410 a number of years ago and absolutely love it.
With direct drive when you put your foot down, you put your foot down!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried the pearl when it first came out and the dw and didn’t care for either. I like the chain the best something about the give take relationship between a good chain

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Using the new Yamaha FP9. Double pedal. I bought the direct dr [kinda by mistake] but was curious about thoughts on the difference between direct and chain
Huge difference. The mechanics are completely different, it's not just the material of the connection, but the leverage and throw. A round cam with either strap or chain has a linear throw, a direct drive is never linear. I'd have trouble adjusting to a direct drive when it comes to dynamics.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Direct drive is just as linear as a chain/strap as long as the angles are the same. The only difference is that the beater and footboard relative positions are locked in with no play on a DD.
I started on Speed Kings in the '60s. I exclusively buried the beaters in my ignorant youth and the DD worked great for that.
I now play dw 9002s and have learned to release the beater while playing heel up though I will still bury sometimes for that deader thump. I would love to try the MDD version and see how my floating leg/foot technique is affected.