Direct To Shell Tom Mounting

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I always tune and muffle my drums for a short but very full-bodied sustain. I can get it with a shell mount, but it may take a bit more tinkering than with a isolation mount. I have no interest in lengthening my sustain, so I can do away with shell mounts, as long as the shells are good so I can get a full-bodied if short resonance.

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just depends for me. I play 1 up vintage & 2 of my kits sound great with the original dts mounts, but a 3rd one the 12 was choked & it opened right up with a rims mount.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's what you say when you have nothing to back up your point. Thanks for proving mine.
My point is clear in it’s face. Do I have to cite sources for you? Conversely, you have nothing to back up your point because it is meritless.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think there's a difference, but I also think it's hard to agree on what that difference is. In my mind, sustain is how long the heads are vibrating, and resonance is how long the shell vibrates along with the heads. Under those definitions (which may be my own), the drum could have a lot of sustain if the top and bottom heads are tuned to the same pitch without really exciting the shell. I think this sounds bad. A drum with a lot of resonance could be given a shorter sustain by putting a moon gel or tape on a head. I think this sounds good.
Resonance has many definitions, but, in the context of drums I think it’s best described as vibration. Sustain would be the duration of that vibration.

The OP’s video demonstrates that the suspension mounts allow for noticeably longer sustain of audible vibration than the shell mounts.

Tornado

DFO Master
Reaction score
The OP’s video demonstrates that the suspension mounts allow for noticeably longer sustain of audible vibration than the shell mounts.
Indeed it does. But I think it also demonstrates how the shell mounts decrease vibration by stopping the vibration of the shell, which I think is audibly different than shortening the duration at the heads with gels or tape. I think that the former is choked while the latter is just shorter. I don't think I'm being pedantic here, I think there really is a difference.

[Edit]
To back up my claims, I think this is easily demonstrated with a floor tom. Take a typical floor tom and listen to its sustain. There is a length to it. Now add Pearl isolation feet to it. It's a really significant increase in duration. Now, add gels to bring the sustain back to the original length. I think you hear a much beefier sounding, more resonant, floor tom even at the same duration. Whether you like it or not is a matter of opinion, but I think it's a much more satisfying tone.,

Last edited:

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think in the context of drums it’s a distinction without a difference.
There's a difference between the length (sustain) and the amount of resonance - there's quality too but it's a different topic. I, for one, like a loud but short resonance.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think there's a difference, but I also think it's hard to agree on what that difference is. In my mind, sustain is how long the heads are vibrating, and resonance is how long the shell vibrates along with the heads. Under those definitions (which may be my own), the drum could have a lot of sustain if the top and bottom heads are tuned to the same pitch without really exciting the shell. I think this sounds bad. A drum with a lot of resonance could be given a shorter sustain by putting a moon gel or tape on a head. I think this sounds good.
I also get a short sustain but full resonance by tuning the top and bottom heads to different intervals. I think my tonal preference is exactly the same as yours. :occasion5:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Indeed it does. But I think it also demonstrates how the shell mounts decrease vibration by stopping the vibration of the shell, which I think is audibly different than shortening the duration at the heads with gels or tape. I think that the former is choked while the latter is just shorter. I don't think I'm being pedantic here, I think there really is a difference.

[Edit]
To back up my claims, I think this is easily demonstrated with a floor tom. Take a typical floor tom and listen to its sustain. There is a length to it. Now add Pearl isolation feet to it. It's a really significant increase in duration. Now, add gels to bring the sustain back to the original length. I think you hear a much beefier sounding, more resonant, floor tom even at the same duration. Whether you like it or not is a matter of opinion, but I think it's a much more satisfying tone.,

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for making such a quick moving but thorough video. Very nice job.
I heard the small tom (10") sounding a little cramped but the 12 sounded fine.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat, they are your drums...

But for me, I definitely preferred the 'before' isolation mount sound and sustain.

It's easier to take away some sustain, with some tape or a zero ring, but impossible to add it.

But like I said, they are your drums... and very pretty they are too.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of long sustain, but playing standard mounted toms alongside isolation mounted toms, I hear more depth of tone in the isolated toms.
I love long sustain. Harsh high overtones, not so much. I hear a bit more breadth of tone, volume and sustain in the suspended toms. Not a lot, but, noticeable. But, I much prefer the aesthetics of the shell mounted brackets.

Masecar

Reaction score
I too preferred the sound with the GTS mounts, and from my experience an isolation mount makes it easier to get a stronger fundamental pitch out of the drum, which is often what get soaked up by hardware first. That fundamental note makes the drum project better through music in miked, acoustic, and studio situations.

Actual sustain can be controlled by heads, tuning, and if necessary, gates, but if the tone ain't there, it ain't there.

I have an 80s Gretsch that had a 13 that sounded terribly choked and thuddy with the factory direct mounts, but sings with the GTS mount.

As for all of y'all's kits, you can do whatever you want.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I tried a GTS mount when they were first introduced and they did not work for me. I tried it on both a Renown and a USA Custom and in both cases it made it so the tom could not be tuned ( the batter hoop bottomed out against the mount before the head could be tensioned enough to get all the wrinkles out). This apparently was due to where the lugs were placed on both my drums but it was disappointing. I went back to using RIMS mounts for both.

The design of the GTS didn't impress me either once I inspected it closer. Rather than a regular tension insert there is a threaded tube that passes all the way thru the lug. Both the tension rod and the screw on the bottom of the lug that holds the support band thread into this rod so there is a physical connection to the support band and the top hoop. Seems less than ideal if isolation is the goal.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tried a GTS mount when they were first introduced and they did not work for me. I tried it on both a Renown and a USA Custom and in both cases it made it so the tom could not be tuned ( the batter hoop bottomed out against the mount before the head could be tensioned enough to get all the wrinkles out). This apparently was due to where the lugs were placed on both my drums but it was disappointing. I went back to using RIMS mounts for both.

The design of the GTS didn't impress me either once I inspected it closer. Rather than a regular tension insert there is a threaded tube that passes all the way thru the lug. Both the tension rod and the screw on the bottom of the lug that holds the support band thread into this rod so there is a physical connection to the support band and the top hoop. Seems less than ideal if isolation is the goal.
I wondered how they did those , thank you . I agree , it sounds less than effective.
Lazy engineers……

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, the mounts really have a dramatic effect. Cool to see, thanks for posting.
I used to have an el cheapo Pulse kit and installed RIMS on the mounted toms.
It made a dramatic difference with those drums. The sound became fatter and mellower.
It convinced me that my next kit would have RIMS as well.....that next kit was my Ludwig Classic Maple and I've had nothing but trouble with it ever since.
I've had two different RIMS on that tom and neither sounded worth a dam.
The first one pulled the tom 1/4" out of round (fortunately, I was able to correct that).
These days, I use it more as a spacer, than anything else.
The lesson I took from all this....be cautious if installing on a tom less than 12" diameter (my Ludwig uses a 10x8 rack tom). Try it and see what you think.

Elvis