Discolored wrap on Radio King Snare question

verminator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just purchased this structurally sound 40s Radio King Snare that has yellowed quite a bit through the years. Is there a product and method to revitalize this drum or would you guys suggest keeping it as is.

Attachments

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Go to the Facebook Slingerland Drums and Snare Drums group. A number of guys there have proven methods for restoring WMP wraps.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question: does household bleach help remove yellowing from WMP drum wrap?

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
retro - nice drum! Clean her up a bit with some mild (Dawn) detergent, get the grime off & leave it at that, it's supposed to be yellowed at 75 years old, shows character!

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I rewrapped some orphans 20 years ago (avatar), they were nice and white, today they look much better, vintage yellowed just like Crash's kit above....wouldn't eve consider whitening 'em!

Last edited:

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, they are supposed to look like that, it means that they are vintage, I think it looks fine. I have seen something on YouTube (Jim Messina) who says there 'is' a certain way of whitening aged faded WMP, but if I remember right he is very carefull about giving this sort of information out to the public in general because he says it can easily go wrong and potentially ruin a vintage instrument.

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Isn't the assumption it's on the surface wrong and it is underneath and you can't get to it?.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Isn't the assumption it's on the surface wrong and it is underneath and you can't get to it?.
And you have evidence that it is under the surface? Or did you just not like the assumption?

From mod TommyP over on VDF. 1949 WFL before

49-WFL-before.jpg

1949 WFL after:

49-WFL-after.jpg

Method: lacquer thinner to removing the top clear layer and then replacing it with clear coat. Not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. The fact that this works suggests that for some sorts of yellowing only the top surface is involved. He was quite reluctant to reveal his method because he didn't want to be responsible for yellowed finishes being harmed. Same as Jim Messina and some other people who have done it but are reluctant to reveal their methods. I say if you don't reveal your method which does work than you are going to have the number of ruined finishes increased because people are going to experiment rather than follow a proven recipe. Here is a comparative study of 5 methods

JDA I don't know, but I've heard that it fades because of u.v. rays.
the set I posted above is evenly yellowed under the lugs as well. Not much uv exposure there!
Yes I've heard uv light greatly speeds up the yellowing, but according to TommyP the yellowing happens with the passage of time but is accelerated by uv exposure. I don't think anybody has done experiments to find out more details. :dontknow:

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
And you have evidence that it is under the surface? Or did you just not like the assumption?
Judge Judy, I read it here years ago....
Sort of assumes there's a clear film and the color (colour) is under that... that may have been Gretsch only but...

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Judge Judy, I read it here years ago....
Sort of assumes there's a clear film and the color (colour) is under that... that may have been Gretsch only but...
There is a clear film with the color layers under that for WMP. We know that because the yellowing has been much reduced by removing the clear outer layer. It's that simple. The science is in.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is a clear film
Excuse me Judge. Instead of addressing me why don't you kindly assist and address toward the original poster.. it's getting late Are you helping him? who's "we"? Original post made or has no mention or awareness of the possibility of clear film; it's getting late direct your comments help the op

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Excuse me Judge. Instead of addressing me why don't you kindly assist and address toward the original poster.. it's getting late Are you helping him? or addressing me it's post #16 already getting late
I've already given him the link to the experiment on 5 sorts of yellowing removal over on VDF. That job's done. I'm addressing your specific remembering that the yellowing goes deeper than the surface. If you had something demonstrate that, then I would amend the level of certainty about the clear layer. Perhaps the clear layer applies to Slingerland and Ludwig WMP but Gretsch WMP was special and different? You don't seem to have anything to offer in that regard. So we're done except that the proper term of reference for me is Dr. I'm not a Judge, I'm a Research Scientist Joe.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Re-read what I said. I never said what you just said I said. I never said the "yellowing goes deeper than than the surface" I said the yellowing is possibly Underneath the surface. ...
STARTS under the clear surface. Surface is probably still clear. Like new. (I dunno I don't have the drum)

Last edited:

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just bringing this up a bit, although I've said I don't mind the vintage yellowed look, and I really don't, however having read the rest of the thread and in particular the methods that have been kindly given, and the wonderfull example of Tommy P's buddy Rich snare I've gotta say I would love to have my 2 yellowed snares done, BUT I just don't feel confident or handy enough to carry out this sort of work myself, I don't even like the idea of stripping such old drums down of all the hardware, 70 ish and 56 years old drums, approx. I suppose I'm a bit scared something might snap or something. They could do with a good more thorough clean too. This is a bit frustrating. Hope you don't mind me showing these 2 snares. I suppose they could be worse but they differ depending on the lighting.

Attachments

Latest posts