header.nohb.html

Discounted New Rogers Cleveland kit

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will preface this by stating that if my question here is not appropriate to this site, please let me know and I will remove it. I am looking to purchase a new Rogers Cleveland kit .. 13-16-22 Blue Onyx. I am seeing this kit listed at many of the top sellers for $3600. I don't think the price is outrageous but not having purchased a new kit in more years than I care to remember, do any sellers offer any discounting on the listed prices? I'm assuming that these kits are in limited supply and the dealers may have 1 - 2 kits that they are looking to sell so having said that perhaps, these won't be discounted but I'm asking in case anyone knows different. TIA

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the list price for Rogers Cleveland reissue drums is ridiculous, and I'm a guy who has purchased new Gretsch USA, Ludwig USA, and Noble & Cooley in the last 10 years. From what I've seen and read about online, the quality of the new Rogers drums is stellar (Bill Detamore of Pork Pie drums does the finishing and edges), but I think $3600.00, plus tax and shipping for 3 drums (mostly made in Taiwan) is over the top.
That said, the existing stock on dealer showroom floors will be discounted at some point. I'd make an offer; I would bet a big hunk of money that those drums are not in high demand (due to the price).
Some manufacturers will not allow discounts beyond a few percent on new items bought at retail outlets - doing so really peeves customers who have already bought at the introductory price. So I also have been watching prices on these kits.
Also keep in mind that the asking price on these kits has not risen (that I know of) since they were introduced a few years ago - while most other drum manufacturers have increased their retail prices 8-10%.

Last edited:

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the list price for Rogers Cleveland reissue drums is ridiculous, and I'm a guy who has purchased new Gretsch USA, Ludwig USA, and Noble & Cooley in the last 10 years. From what I've seen and read about online, the quality of the new Rogers drums is stellar (Bill Detamore of Pork Pie drums does the finishing and edges), but I think $3600.00, plus tax and shipping for 3 drums (mostly made in Taiwan) is over the top.
That said, the existing stock on dealer showroom floors will be discounted at some point. I'd make an offer; I would bet a big hunk of money that those drums are not in high demand (due to the price).
Some manufacturers will not allow discounts beyond a few percent on new items bought at retail outlets - doing so really peeves customers who have already bought at the introductory price. So I also have been watching prices on these kits.
Also keep in mind that the asking price on these kits has not risen (that I know of) since they were introduced a few years ago - while most other drum manufacturers have increased their retail prices 8-10%.
Thank you so much for your very insightful response. I was actually going back through DrumForum.org and there was a thread about the Cleveland series. It states that they are actually USA made but the Covington series shells are made in Taiwan, which turns out that they are producing very excellent products but who knows and regardless. I have to agree with you and many others that feel the price is absurd. I'm a Ludwig guy. I own a number of kits but I have always wanted to own a Rogers kit. Maybe my expectations soundwise may be unrealistic but since this is nit an urgent purchase, maybe I'll just keep looking for a vintage kit that fits my wants. Thanks again.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It states that they are actually USA made but the Covington series shells are made in Taiwan, which turns out that they are producing very excellent products but who knows and regardless.

I saw that discussion and I still think that is very ambiguous.. The Rogers site only lists one build info where they state the shell is made then moved to california to have the drilling and edges done.. When they do the drilling etc in another country I think they can make the statement or market that they are made in that country afaik.. I could be wrong on that.. but you can clearly see below that the shell is being made in what I assume is Taiwan on bottom left , which is usually better than usa made IMO.. and then the dude finishing the drum with drilling and edges is what I assume is in california.. and that is DEFINITELY not the detamore guy.. just some young worker in the pork pie shop from what I can tell... but it is not what many are claiming that the detamore guy does these.. Which I also would not even care about anyway.

DrumBuildingStory-popup.jpg

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your very insightful response. I was actually going back through DrumForum.org and there was a thread about the Cleveland series. It states that they are actually USA made but the Covington series shells are made in Taiwan, which turns out that they are producing very excellent products but who knows and regardless. I have to agree with you and many others that feel the price is absurd. I'm a Ludwig guy. I own a number of kits but I have always wanted to own a Rogers kit. Maybe my expectations soundwise may be unrealistic but since this is nit an urgent purchase, maybe I'll just keep looking for a vintage kit that fits my wants. Thanks again.
For a lot less than $3600 you can get a real Rogers kit in excellent condition.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
The wood dyna-sonic snare drums are pretty impressive, I must say. I have a Curly Maple one that really kicks arse. Everything is just perfect on the drum.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buy a VINTAGE ROGERS kit! You will have money left over for a snare drum...

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am dying for a blue onyx one, too. I have a vintage Rogers 12-16-20 in silver but I'm going to try to find a nice used one under 1500 bucks. I'd say save your money and look for vintage.....

You can always call up a shop and see if they'll give you some sort of discount off a new one but I doubt it.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am dying for a blue onyx one, too. I have a vintage Rogers 12-16-20 in silver but I'm going to try to find a nice used one under 1500 bucks. I'd say save your money and look for vintage.....

You can always call up a shop and see if they'll give you some sort of discount off a new one but I doubt it.

Here ya go... $1400 including shipping!

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not for nothing ( as they say ) ... yeah ... I see plenty of vintage kits out there but there is always something about the sale that pulls me away from taking the plunge. Firstly ( and this may be just an aesthetic thing), the BD has to be a 22 and the toms have to be 13 and 16. I've seen kits with 20 BD, 12 tom and 18 floor. the kit was immaculate, but the sizes were unacceptable. And then there are wraps I;m not crazy about ... white and butcher block? Ok ... yes perhaps I am being too particular but these new Clevelands give me the sizes and wrap I want but as others continue to point out ... at nearly 4k( $3600 plus tax ) is ridiculous even if I had deep pockets. They are overpriced and will likely not be discounted so I will continue to search and I will eventually find what I want, with some compromise I guess.

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
I will preface this by stating that if my question here is not appropriate to this site, please let me know and I will remove it. I am looking to purchase a new Rogers Cleveland kit .. 13-16-22 Blue Onyx. I am seeing this kit listed at many of the top sellers for $3600. I don't think the price is outrageous but not having purchased a new kit in more years than I care to remember, do any sellers offer any discounting on the listed prices? I'm assuming that these kits are in limited supply and the dealers may have 1 - 2 kits that they are looking to sell so having said that perhaps, these won't be discounted but I'm asking in case anyone knows different. TIA
I think the Cleveland kit is new for this year. Personally, I'd look for a vintage REAL Cleveland kit. They are more affordable if you are willing to be patient and wait for what you want. By all accounts, those reissues are nice, but they are not exactly USA made as some ads and sellers would have you believe. Doesn't mean they aren't good. It just means there is some slight of hand going on there with the verbiage. I'd recommend checking some of the vintage shops that regularly get vintage Rogers kits in: Maxwell Drums in Chicago, Nelson Drums in Nashville and Hawhtorne Drums and Po's Percussion. Others probably will chime in with other shops to check.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
For the price of just one drum [1,200 each] you could probably find a vintage Rogers in good shape or a beat up kit and re-wrap it yourself [there are youtube vids on how] and save a bunch. There are brand new lugs, strainers and rims available and you are still way ahead of almost 4K after taxes and shipping.

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
I have a set of blue glass 20. 16. 13. 12. With cases. If interested.

StatesboroBlue

Reaction score
Here ya go... $1400 including shipping!

Temping. If it were red .... Just put mounted on a snare stand.