Discussed before: 14x24 vs. 16x24 bass drum?

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
The bass drum in question is a Sakae Trilogy bass drum, extremely thin maple/poplar/maple shell with lightweight hardware.

I currently own 20” and 18” Trilogy bass drums, and used to own 22” and 24”, all being 14” deep.

I have played (and owned) a 14x24 Trilogy but sold it (regretfully). I can get a 16x24 in the same finish or the same size I had (14x24), but the it will be in another finish.

I am thinking that a thin shell like tje Trilogy would benefit from being shallow. That is, the thin shell already ”eat up” a lot of the energy.

What’s your take on this?

Thx!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
The killingest 24's I've owned were 14" deep with thin shells - Rogers Dayton, WFL virgin marcher and an early 60's Premier(virgin birch 3 ply) marcher .

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
The killingest 24's I've owned were 14" deep with thin shells - Rogers Dayton, WFL virgin marcher and an early 60's Premier(virgin birch 3 ply) marcher .
Thx. I played 20 and 22 Rogers bass drums and really liked them. Many people say that the Sakae Trilogy has similarities with vintage Rogers. True, but with an added touch of vintage MIJ, if you ask me.

So, +1 for the 14x24 then :)

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 16x24. Sounds great but would sound better if it was a 14x24. I think 14 is the perfect depth for any bass drum, especially as the diameter increases. My 10x28 marcher is fun and sounds surprisingly good but I prefer my 14x26.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
So far, seems like the 14x24 gets most votes. The finish will not be the same as my other Trilogy drums but there are additional tom(s) available in the same finish as the 14x24 bass drum. Would cost more but... let's see.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll chime in as a contrarian and say it's not gonna make a whole lot of difference sound-wise. This is coming from someone who prefers 14" depth bass drums.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
14" wins, because it's shallower and has a faster attack. The deeper a drum is, the slower it responds, because there is more air between the batter and the reso head. I've never owned anything deeper than a 14" bass drum, but I have played house sets and backline sets with 16" and 18" deep bass drums. They felt sloppy and inarticulate.
I'm speaking as a jazz player. I know that rock guys want a lot of power and volume from their bass drums. A deeper drum will do that to a limited extent. But if you really want a big sound, diameter is far more relevant than depth.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even the companies that outfit their standard 20 and 22 kits with 16s seem to go with 14 more often on the 24s. I don't always assume that drum companies make the best sonic decisions (current trends certainly matter at least as much), but when they go AGAINST the otherwise prevailing trend I put more weight in their choices.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14's are great and are the depth of most of my 22" bass drums but I happen to have a Trilogy kit with a 16x22 bass drum which I love.

Do you port the reso head? If you do I think you'd hear/feel even less of a difference with a 16. I port the res head on most of my bass drums (small 4" hole) and never felt much difference between a 14x22 and 16x22. Maybe 24's are different. Even my 18x22 Saturn bass drum plays and feels great (no fun to move though).

And personally, I'd want a bass drum that matched the finish of the rest of my kit so for me it'd be an easy decision. Maybe play on a few 16's at a music store and go from there?

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Always 14 for me too. I have a couple of 14x20 (Rogers, Camco, J-M), a couple of 14x22 (Oriollo, Tama) and I have an INDe 14x24 that sounds awesome. I had a Yamaha 16x22 and didn't really like it.

Last edited:

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
Thx everyone for your input.

I will wait until the right 14x24 (or 12x24) show up. Doesn’t have to be a Sakae Trilogy.

Best,

Fredrik