header.nohb.html

Discussion: Best Amp/PA/Speakers for Electronic Drums

Matt27

Reaction score
I just picked up a TD20 and want to buy an amp to play music through to play along to in my basement. I see there’s so many options for amps. What do you guys recommend

electrodrummer

Reaction score
This is asked many many times. Do a search for "amp" or "speaker" for all the previous answers.

If you need to "play along" to music, plug your music source into the audio input on the module.

---
Stock "what speaker" post ensues for your delectation:

--
• Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
• Rehearsal: a PA
• Live: a PA

Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height. Test by playing Prodigy's Firestarter thru at full pelt. (as for make and model - that depends on your budget)

Avoid cheapo things with Bluetooth and don't be swayed by things advertised as "drum" amps as most are just overpriced active floor wedges/speakers with a badge stuck on.

Oh, and if you see something that says 2000W output - see what its power consumption is

A PA is the most flexible and can provide multiband EQ, FX etc. And somewhere for your band mates to plug in. And, depending where you live and your patience you don't have to spend much:

pa.png

Matt27

Reaction score
My apologies. I didn’t search through old post. I will do that. Thank you

electrodrummer

Reaction score
My apologies. I didn’t search through old post. I will do that. Thank you
No probs.

My response above still stands! Headphones or headphones! (or a PA).

and

"play long" music --> audio cable --> module --> headphones

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we get the amp question stickied? I see at least 4 questions on the current front page about what amps to use.

Parcel

Reaction score
I just picked up a TD20 and want to buy an amp to play music through to play along to in my basement. I see there’s so many options for amps. What do you guys recommend
I just use a pair of headphones.
I use a Laney AH-80 as a monitor amp:
6571092_800_003.jpg

Last edited:

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any FRFR (full range, flat response) should work. I use a Headrush FRFR-108 speaker, which I also use as a monitor and for my Helix when I play guitar.

T-Dub

Reaction score
I use a Yamaha EMX660 powered mixer and 2, S115IV 15" yamaha speakers... can get all of it used for about $600. I run vocals along with an Ipad to practice and also guitar and keys thru it when the gang comes over to jam. 15" speaker will give you more low-end feel :)

Parcel

Reaction score
Before the Laney, I used to have this:
It was a beast with a 15" full range unit an a horn tweeter.
If i needed more power, I plugged it into the mike input.
Ouch! laney-tm300p-1116276.jpg

DAB

Reaction score
I would like occasionally (when neighbours are out!) to play my electric kit to music (mp3) without headphones so looking for a good sounding pa system to drown out the tapping noise of the sticks on pads and cymbals etc! to a certain degree, not looking to spend a fortune , but quality sound is important to me , i have seen on youtube the jbl eon 208p and the yamaha pas 400i portable PA system which dont look too big which is good for me and was wondering if any one has used any of these? or would recommend anything that may be better , i would like to get away without having to buy a sub if i can helpful advice would be most appreciated thanks

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is but you may be disappointed if you go with something fairly cheap compared to the sound you get through good headphones. If you don't want to go with a separate sub, you'll probably want a PA with a 15" speaker. I've read good things about the Yamaha DBR 15 for use with e-drums.

DAB

Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is but you may be disappointed if you go with something fairly cheap compared to the sound you get through good headphones. If you don't want to go with a separate sub, you'll probably want a PA with a 15" speaker. I've read good things about the Yamaha DBR 15 for use with e-drums.
Thanks

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although there's always great information posted here on DFO, if you want feedback from those who focus more exclusively on electronic versus acoustic drums, head on over to vdrums.com. There's a wealth of information there about amplification options for e-kits.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you expect the level on an acoustic kit just take a look. How many/big speakers does it take to equal your 22” bass drum head moving 1/2” when you kick it?